• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 470 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No come on a bunny is a female or male rabbit. On second thought there could be something cause what does rabbits have to do with cyclists who are women. I loved Tiny Toons soooo much though.
TinyToons_characters.png

e8baf07bb879941d19d34e5b8c7aa51f.jpg

Reactions: Sandisfan
Thanks, it was the classic route of the Giro del Belvedere:
circuito-belvedere-2021-result-profile-7eff203dcf.jpg

Ayuso also won the Trofeo Piva over 1min ahead of Luca Colnaghi yeasterday, Raugel, Hellemose, Hessman, Pietrobon and Mlubrhan also raced yesterday.
The results of yesterday's race and it's route:
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/trofeo-piva/2021
trofeo-piva-2021-result-profile-cf6060fb99.jpg

I have to say that I was impressed by Colnaghi, the guy won 2 bunch sprints and the points classification in the last Baby Giro, I didn't know that he could survive such a hilly route.

Rotterdam and The Hague wanna do a combined bid for the Grand Depart in 2024 or 2025. It would be prologue in Rotterdam, then a flat stage from Rotterdam to The Hague, and then a third stage starting in The Hague and finishing in Limburg.

Article is paywalled so I don't have that many details. Assume it's boring flat stages unless stage 2 follows the coastline a lot.

Why would a finish in Limburg imply flat and boring?

• Wow
So Samu Sanchez is competing again, but as an Alpine Skier!
He finished 5th in the Super-G at the Spanish NC. The level was probably not that high, but Spain still has more than just few ski stations, so it's still impressive at his age.
Apparently he comes from a skiing famil and was already skiing before he learned how to ride a bike.
Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article/2021/04/13/1618260959/samuel-sanchez-sciatore-ex-ciclista
"Did you know he used to be a pro cyclist?"

• Haha
So Samu Sanchez is competing again, but as an Alpine Skier!
He finished 5th in the Super-G at the Spanish NC. The level was probably not that high, but Spain still has more than just few ski stations, so it's still impressive at his age.
Apparently he comes from a skiing famil and was already skiing before he learned how to ride a bike.
Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article/2021/04/13/1618260959/samuel-sanchez-sciatore-ex-ciclista

This is wonderful news. I wonder why he isn't taking part in downhill competitions.

• Wow
Skiing is more fun and hurts much less if you crash? Plus it says that he even began skiing before cycling.

Of course he was a demon descender at his peak but I don't recall him being at that high level near the end of his career.

Yes I was only refering to the skiing discipline, but I can understand your confusion.

He was competing in the 40-45 age category, by the way, which was won by his friend Edu Carrera.
He is also part of a cycling academy named after himself, where I believe his youngest son Unai (13) is enrolled. At least he was back in 2017.

Oh I misread, 3rd stage would also start in Rotterdam, so it's perhaps a little shorter

Anyway there's very few hills hard enough to make much of a difference even in Limburg, and in Amstel it's the fact that you have 30 of them that makes the difference.
Considering how they are designing the Tour recently it will be a Cauberg uphill sprint, like Huy in 2015, Cherbourg in 2016, Longwy in 2017, Quimper in 2018, Epernay in 2019 and Mur de Bretagne this year, that's a solid pattern.

If it's 200+ kms of flat and an uphill sprint really bad, but this type of stages in general doesn't deliver at the beginning of the Tour, in 2018 they even tried their best with Quimper very hilly and the Mur two times but still nothing happened.
The 2011 Tour stage to Mur de Bretagne was pretty exciting with Evans just beating Contador, Vino, Uran, and Gilbert for the win. I guess you could still call it a Murito stage, but there were some big gaps between the multiple groups of riders arriving at the finish.

TRENDING THREADS