• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 472 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not sure if someone has mentioned it yet, but Lappartient confirmed today that the WC of 2025 will be held in Africa for the first time ever. Rwanda and Morocco are the 2 candidates. Final decision will be made during the WC this year.

Hopefully this helps the globalization of cycling even further. It would be nice to have some big races in other continents as well.

Not sure if someone has mentioned it yet, but Lappartient confirmed today that the WC of 2025 will be held in Africa for the first time ever. Rwanda and Morocco are the 2 candidates. Final decision will be made during the WC this year.

Hopefully this helps the globalization of cycling even further. It would be nice to have some big races in other continents as well.

I was waiting for an English-language article. But, yeah... that's pretty cool.

I literally posted about how good a Mur de Kigali World Championships could be yesterday :oops:

Mur de Kigali isn't that obscure though, it's the best-known climb in a country that only hosts smaller races, similar to how Kiddesvej is well-known by the standards of a Danish climb because it's a focal point of the national race every year. Except that Mur de Kigali is obviously a better climb in every aspect, of course ;)

Heart says Rwanda gets to host, my head otoh...

Reactions: Sandisfan
Morocco has a lot of places that could offer some great opportunities (I have a half-complete Tour du Maroc). Fes and Tangier I believe would be best as you could have courses as hilly or as flat as you like, especially in Fes, Agadir potentially likewise. Rabat, Meknes or Mohammadia would give some possibilities but would likely be more along the lines of Geelong or Valkenburg at most. Ifrane is the sort of domestic capital of cycling, but not that big a place and most of the roads around there are undulating or would result in a circuit way too long. Casablanca or Marrakech would be pan-flat and dull.

Morocco has a much longer history and tradition of cycling, and a good infrastructure and many decent races and riders, but North African cycling is kind of one of those scenes that take place in a bubble, like Central American cycling or South East Asian cycling, whereas Rwanda has a relatively short but passionate history of the sport and has captured a good amount of attention from both media and fans alike; and Kigali offers just as many potential options for a variety of courses as Fes, which I consider the likely best of the Moroccan options. Morocco would be far more accessible for fans from the existing cycling heartlands to help create an atmosphere, Rwanda would be far more likely to create a crazy supportive atmosphere on its own.

I honestly can see lots to like about both options just from an on-paper standpoint. Would be interesting to know if these are formal bids and if so, what the Moroccan bid is, because where that is held will be a major factor. Wollongong ought to be pretty hilly, Glasgow is not especially but has a lot of short digs in it. It really depends on the Zürich course proposal as we may be well overdue a Geelong-type course by then.

Route for Tour de Pologne:

Tour de Pologne 2021 route unveiled | Cyclingnews

Highlights include an ITT in Katowice, instead of that finish, and - as mentioned in the crash-prevention thread - usage of the new Boplan barriers, and other safety equipment.

This section offers them a breathtaking panorama of the Tatra Mountains in the vicinity of the Tatra National Park and a murderous route.

E12mmaDXEAAuEH3

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wujVMIYzYXg

I feel the need to stand up for my country's tour.

In the Polish version of the descreption of this stage (btw the English one is 1:1 translation of Polish text except this one particular word), the word used in the same place as "murderous" is "trudna". Which means exactly and nothing more than "hard".

So I have no fcking idea why in the English version someone used "murderous".

As for the baloons 100% agree. Tour de Pologne is commonly known as Tour de Baloon.

Here's a quick run-down of the 2021 World's (Elite Men) route:

The men's road race course for the 2021 Worlds is pretty wild - CyclingTips

Just to sum up:

• Down from Antwerp to Leuven.
  • 1.5 laps of the Leuven finishing circuit.
  • South for one lap of the Flandrien circuit.
  • Back to Leuven for four laps of the finishing circuit.
  • Back down to the Flandrien circuit for another lap.
  • Then back up to Leuven again for another 2.5 laps of the finishing circuit.

TRENDING THREADS