• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 486 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, I know that, but my point is that it's the amount of time where you have to ride hard that matters, not the absolute length of the race. You don't see anybody fluking themselves to a top result in Strade Bianche even if it's only 175 kms long.

And this August, Cosnefroy beat Alaphilippe and Honoré in a 250 km race. Two weeks later, he was dropped by Colbrelli on a climb in a 200 km race. Could it be that the latter race had been harder overall despite the deficit in absolute length, I wonder?

Also, why is Ulissi random? He has won the longest GT stage of the century.
Ulissi is random because in a 150/180 kms race/stage is always there but above he just sink, and an outlier stage win doesn't change that. Limit the length of races to 180 kms and you'll suddenly see him becoming top 10 material in both GTs and monuments.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Ulissi is random because in a 150/180 kms race/stage is always there but above he just sink, and an outlier stage win doesn't change that. Limit the length of races to 180 kms and you'll suddenly see him becoming top 10 material in both GTs and monuments.

I doubt it.

But actually, Ulissi was also the guy who popped into my mind when thinking of someone who fares much worse in the biggest races compared to stages. But it's not like you can come up with tons of other riders who show the same pattern. Or maybe you can? But perhaps he is an outlier.

I doubt it.

But actually, Ulissi was also the guy who popped into my mind when thinking of someone who fares much worse in the biggest races compared to stages. But it's not like you can come up with tons of other riders who show the same pattern. Or maybe you can? But perhaps he is an outlier.
Ulissi potentially could be a top rider because he's a good climber, a good time trialist, a very good puncheur and also pretty fast in flat sprints when needed but his lack of endurance just kill him in long races. At Flèche he always looks good then at Liege he disappears just like he's there fighting for the win at Emilia and Milano-Torino before fading away in Lombardia or in the Giro he wins 180 kms long hilly stages then comes the 200+ kms tappone and ships half an hour but in the third week there is a 150 kms long mountain stages where he's suddenly there fighting with the GC riders. If you look at his results being stages, one day races or weeklong stages races he has an insane number of top 10 or close but an hand is enough to count how many are in races above 200 kms.

Ullisi I think benefits a lot from being the only hilly/puncheur type rider who actually peaks for the Giro every year.
Has a third place in Huy and a win in Montreal to his name, in addition to a bunch of top-5s and top-10s in those and similar big races. He wouldn't turn into the equivalent of Alaphilippe if races were shorter, but the discrepancy between those results and his performances in monuments and the handful of races similar in length is obvious. He's the Simon Spilak of one-day races.

Ullisi I think benefits a lot from being the only hilly/puncheur type rider who actually peaks for the Giro every year.

Definitely, but then he pops up with a 2nd place on a long ITT (back in his wonder-year, though, and of course the TT field was quite abysmal) and as late as last year an out-of-nowhere fourth place on the Sega di Ala.

He is a weird rider.

Has a third place in Huy and a win in Montreal to his name, in addition to a bunch of top-5s and top-10s in those and similar big races. He wouldn't turn into the equivalent of Alaphilippe if races were shorter, but the discrepancy between those results and his performances in monuments and the handful of races similar in length is obvious. He's the Simon Spilak of one-day races.
Spilak actually had endurance, the guy finished 10th in the RVV as a neopro.
One thing about Ulissi is that he's a bad descender/bad bike handler, so in a hectic one day race he has to waste more energy to be near the front and after a certain point that's just too much wasted energy to fight for the win.

Definitely, but then he pops up with a 2nd place on a long ITT (back in his wonder-year, though, and of course the TT field was quite abysmal) and as late as last year an out-of-nowhere fourth place on the Sega di Ala.

He is a weird rider.
And in the 2016 Giro he was 4th on both the Andalo and the Risoul stage, with him the distance really makes a big difference.
On the other hand of the spectrum you have guys like Moscon who seem to be better in +250km one day races than in shorter ones.

Burger King are reported to have signed a sponsorship deal with Eolo-Kometa for next season. Let's hope they're not providing nutritional input to the team, although that might tempt Carlos Betancur back to Europe
Now I expect their post-race interviews after winning a race/stage to end like this one, just replace Don King with Mauro Vegni and it's perfect:

Last edited:
That article should be based on a CPA end of the year press release or something similar so it's obviously partisan but I still find aberrant and perverted to read Bugno celebrating how CPA was able to mutilate races in the name of secutirity and gladly announcing that they are working with many organizers to do it more and more starting from next season with the gem of the software that has to show which parts of the races should be removed that seems something coming from that satirical/parody movies where there is a scientist that creates some ridiculous tool that creates only damages.

A darker future with only unipuertos mountain stages because descending is too dangerous is looming closer and closer as if modern races design isn't already sharply sinking in a dark hole thank to people like the cuck Vegni and the whole bunch at ASO with their "innovations".

That article should be based on a CPA end of the year press release or something similar so it's obviously partisan but I still find aberrant and perverted to read Bugno celebrating how CPA was able to mutilate races in the name of secutirity and gladly announcing that they are working with many organizers to do it more and more starting from next season with the gem of the software that has to show which parts of the races should be removed that seems something coming from that satirical/parody movies where there is a scientist that creates some ridiculous tool that creates only damages.

A darker future with only unipuertos mountain stages because descending is too dangerous is looming closer and closer as if modern races design isn't already sharply sinking in a dark hole thank to people like the cuck Vegni and the whole bunch at ASO with their "innovations".
The future is worse than George Orwells worst nightmare

• Sad
Reactions: Salvarani
FIQDAbPWQAAWY1U

ITT is longer than those of Giro and Vuelta. :D And it looks like the Foia arrival is a bit tougher than in previous years.

• Wow
Scratch that. I was looking at the GCN schedule, but didn't register that it started with races taking place in January 2021 (Their NYE parties must be crazy).
Currently they only list CX events in 2022.
I think Jose Been has mentioned on twitter that it is her first commentary of 2022, so it should be broadcast on at least GCN and probably Eurosport as well.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Yeah, Eurosport France has aired Coupe de France races for many years now, even if just 25 min highlights, and English-language ES started airing them in the last couple of years. I'm sure they will be aired again.
Was Challenge Mallorca on ES last year or only RTVE? I can't remember.

TRENDING THREADS