• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 200 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
no more bonus seconds on the MTF's of giro d'italia :(
what a failure let's expect now the breakaways to win on pampeago and stelvio...

source:gazzetta dello sport

I prefer it that way tbh. Especially considering the stupidly low amount of TT kms. That way they will have to actually attack to open differences.

It's just for MTFs though? Can't find anything in the website.

Cogombre said:
Yes, difference being that the winner of the queen stage is in Euskaltel's squad, while Saxo couldn't really bring much to the Giro?

Well Arnout also mentioned winning Zoncolan as a big point and yet Anton isnt in EE's Giro squad.

Maybe if he didnt want this counterpoint to be made he should have simply said - they have the winner of the queen stage last year, full stop, rather than mentioning Anton too.

jens_attacks said:
no more bonus seconds on the MTF's of giro d'italia :(
what a failure let's expect now the breakaways to win on pampeago and stelvio...

source:gazzetta dello sport

What, they have 30k of ttt and yet a good climber on a crap team (eg Gadret or Rujano) now isn't even allowed to take back the time that has been stolen from him, by being better on mtfs. He has to attack himself silly to create large gaps.

We saw in the Tour that when riders are forced to do this they end up being exhausted on later mtfs.

Yay for big teams. Screw all the little ones. Next step, not allow pro conti teams in gts at all.

2. Handzame Classic
UCI 1.1, 194,5 km, Kortemark – Handzame
1. CHICCHI Francesco (ITA – Omega Pharma – Quick Step) 04:10’00 (46,68 km/h)
2. KITTEL Marcel (GER – Project 1T4I) +0″
3. BLYTHE Adam (GBR – BMC Racing Team) +0″
4. BOIVIN Guillaume (CAN – Team Spidertech powered by C10) +0″
5. VAN HUMMEL Kenny Robert (NED – Vacansoleil – DCM Pro Cycling Team) +0″
6. BROWN Graeme (AUS – Rabobank) +0″
7. BAGDONAS Gediminas (LTU – An Post – Sean Kelly) +0″
8. VAN POPPEL Boy (NED – UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling) +0″
9. DEHAES Kenny (BEL – Lotto – Belisol Team) +0″
10. TRUSSOV Nikolay (RUS – Rusvelo) +0″
11. SCHULZE André (GER – Team NetApp) +0″
12. AHLSTRAND Jonas (SWE – Team Cykelcity.se) +0″
13. HAVIK Yoeri (NED – Cyclingteam De Rijke) +0″
14. HOULE Hugo (CAN – Team Spidertech powered by C10) +0″
15. JANS Roy (BEL – An Post – Sean Kelly) +0″
16. SCHETS Steve (BEL – Jong Vlaanderen Cycling Team) +0″
17. JODTS Sven (BEL – Topsport Vlaanderen – Mercator) +0″
18. TE BRAKE Remco (NED – Cyclingteam De Rijke) +0″
19. JUODVALKIS Egidijus (LTU – Landbouwkrediet – Euphony) +0″
20. ROBERT Frederique (BEL – Lotto – Belisol Team) +0″
21. ALAFACI Eugenio (ITA – Leopard Trek Continental Team) +0″
22. FRIEDEMANN Matthias (GER – Champion System) +0″
23. PAIANI Jean-Lou (FRA – Saur – Sojasun) +0″
24. LABORIE Christophe (FRA – Saur – Sojasun) +0″
25. SALOMEIN Jarl (BEL – Topsport Vlaanderen – Mercator) +

The Hitch said:
Well Arnout also mentioned winning Zoncolan as a big point and yet Anton isnt in EE's Giro squad.

Maybe if he didnt want this counterpoint to be made he should have simply said - they have the winner of the queen stage last year, full stop, rather than mentioning Anton too.

I don't care about counterpoints and points, I care about what's happened and results of those events. Euskaltel won two stages, two big ones as well, so another invite is not only stupidity but also a reward for actions in the past. It doesn't really matter who they send to the race, apparently they take the race seriously and they are the ones making the team selection.

Saxo is a whole different case. Rightfully or not, that trial did happen so you cannot really compare it.

Arnout said:
I don't care about counterpoints and points, I care about what's happened and results of those events. Euskaltel won two stages, two big ones as well, so another invite is not only stupidity but also a reward for actions in the past. It doesn't really matter who they send to the race, apparently they take the race seriously and they are the ones making the team selection.

Saxo is a whole different case. Rightfully or not, that trial did happen so you cannot really compare it.

Trial makes no difference their giro squad would have been the same anyway. Say there was no trial. you would defend that squad based on what contador did last year ?

The Hitch said:
Trial makes no difference their giro squad would have been the same anyway. Say there was no trial. you would defend that squad based on what contador did last year ?

It does make a difference. If there was no trial, they would've been the defending champions, with or without Contador, so yes, I defend them, for one year or for more.
Now though, legally they cannot really show anything. De facto, they are still the defending champions, but one could argue that they aren't and as they didn't get many results in the Giro with the other 8 riders, the squad isn't automatically accepted in my world. Because of the circumstances I would still give them another chance (after all, those 8 riders most likely worked for Contador and in a world where Contador is ignored, that should also be cancelled out), but it is a different situation.

Duartista said:
Vuelta a Asturias will be 3 days this year. The stages will probably be Oviedo-Gijon, Aviles-Aviles, and the Subida al Naranco.

http://www.elcomercio.es/v/20120316/deportes/ciclismo/vuelta-asturias-2012-reduce-20120316.html

No Acebo makes me sad. The climb up there after Pozo de las Mujeres Muertas in the pouring rain in last year's race was one of the stages of the year, with Zaballa attacking at the front with Broco, with Suárez, Pasamontes and Izagirre in the earlier break from the Pozo, with Sérgio Sousa and the Caja Rural duo of José Herrada and Javi Moreno fighting to chase them down, eventually catching the big guns and Moreno breaking away from Zaballa (the last man to be caught) to take the win. Amazing racing.

_2011050101215779_640_122b0a03.jpg

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
No Acebo makes me sad. The climb up there after Pozo de las Mujeres Muertas in the pouring rain in last year's race was one of the stages of the year, with Zaballa attacking at the front with Broco, with Suárez, Pasamontes and Izagirre in the earlier break from the Pozo, with Sérgio Sousa and the Caja Rural duo of José Herrada and Javi Moreno fighting to chase them down, eventually catching the big guns and Moreno breaking away from Zaballa (the last man to be caught) to take the win. Amazing racing.
I missed it last year, I don't remember why exactly. The previous year was also excellent, with Duarte's win on the Acebo and then the Colombian implosion on the final (excellently designed) stage over San Lorenzo, with Zaballa attacking on the descent. I guess it's just a holding operation really - keeping the race alive until the Spanish economic outlook improves (however many years that may take).

capstardk said:
Does anybody know if there is a live ticker for the GP Cholet - Pays de Loire?

EDIT: Not any news, but didn't know whereelse to post it :)

no, I don't think so, it was supposed to bei on this website but this morning they said:

"Suite à un problème technique, nous ne pourrons assurer le point-course de Cholet-Pays de Loire. Toutes nos excuses."

so they won't offer it due to technical problems. Maybe there is something on twitter, but it doesn't look like

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I also thought that it would have been on the site you linked to. However, I have found a live ticker on this link

Pichot (Europcar), Talabardon (Saur-Sojasun), Duret (Bretagne-Schuller) and Jarrier (Veranda Rideau U) got about 4 minutes on the peloton, but still about 60-65 km to go

TRENDING THREADS