• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 12: Martinsicuro – Fano, 193.0k

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Maestri ended up 9th, which is great given the effort he had given riding with Ala the whole time.
Certainly a heartbreak when Julian dropped him like a dirty diaper on a hot summer day!! The hill wasn't that big but Maestri was already on the limit, the 2_were working great together, Alaphillipe flew away and the Italians legs turned to stone. Still great ride. Out of all the squads Polti is really getting great camera time for the team and the sponsors, punching above their weight, riding better than some world tour level teams!! Fantastic Giro

That was a pretty damn epic ride today; very happy to see it. Both those guys gave a ton and it was good to see the two of them share a moment afterwards. ! It would have been one thing to go from 5k out and just barely hold on, but to go from that far out is one for the ages, pure Ala showmanship!

I have to say though, watching Ala ride I'm usually screaming at the TV "You're a professional bike racer for heavens sake, can you not ride a straight line??" Stage was 192km long but I'll wager his computer registered about 220.... ;)

I fell asleep for the last two hours today. But some guys clearly did a lot of work to bring those minutes off of Hirt?
Bahrain were at the front, but they didn't really do much hard work. Just a steady pace. The gap between the G2 and peloton did not significantly change during the race. In Hirt/Pozzo's G3, no one was working except their domestiques. When Tarozzi and Vansevenant had also given up, G3 just waited for the peloton.

If Hirt had been a sharper rider and had made it into the G2, he could have gained significant time today.

how did Jonas Koch end up leading the peloton up the steep climb? Don't think I have seen him all Giro... No wonder Thomas reffered to him as "Schachmann".
Bora is clearly saving riders. They don't go in breaks, only Schachmann once. I don't like it but thats why we probably will see them stronger then expected in the third week.

Bahrain were at the front, but they didn't really do much hard work. Just a steady pace. The gap between the G2 and peloton did not significantly change during the race. In Hirt/Pozzo's G3, no one was working except their domestiques. When Tarozzi and Vansevenant had also given up, G3 just waited for the peloton.

If Hirt had been a sharper rider and had made it into the G2, he could have gained significant time today.
I appreciate this and now understand what happened with Hirt. The peloton with the GC riders looked quite reduced. Wondering if there was any camera coverage of their progress toward the end. Had to be some work going on in there and by who else besides Bahrain. Bora and Ineos got away with murder if they rode protected today and still neutralized the five minute man on the road today. I think at some point, Hirt was in a virtual podium.

I appreciate this and now understand what happened with Hirt. The peloton with the GC riders looked quite reduced. Wondering if there was any camera coverage of their progress toward the end. Had to be some work going on in there and by who else besides Bahrain. Bora and Ineos got away with murder if they rode protected today and still neutralized the five minute man on the road today. I think at some point, Hirt was in a virtual podium.

Bahrain and the UAE were in the lead all day. Bora made a half-hearted attack on the uncategorised climb, but by then Hirt's group had been absorbed.

Reactions: scribers
All the points and screen time for his team. Think it was reasonable to ride with Ala.
Agree.

Also, I don‘t think he would have gotten such a good result (9th) if he had not ridden with Alaphilippe. Maestri doesn‘t look like he‘s punchy enough otherwise. Drawing the conclusion: 2nd tier rider pulls with favorite-> bribes is just a bit too tinfoil-hat for my liking. When would Alaphilippe have offered that anyway? Offering it in the beginning makes zero sense, since there is about one instance of a planned 120 k escape that worked as planned. Once it became clear this could be a promising move, Maestri was past the point of no return where he could have stopped working without losing all chances at a result.

That was a pretty damn epic ride today; very happy to see it. Both those guys gave a ton and it was good to see the two of them share a moment afterwards. ! It would have been one thing to go from 5k out and just barely hold on, but to go from that far out is one for the ages, pure Ala showmanship!

I have to say though, watching Ala ride I'm usually screaming at the TV "You're a professional bike racer for heavens sake, can you not ride a straight line??" Stage was 192km long but I'll wager his computer registered about 220.... ;)
His animated riding style is an affront to coaching, for sure. That, and the ability to ride into parked objects is a rare combination for someone who wins well.
Kiss my A*s, Patrick! I'm going to the Tour.