• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2011: Stage 14 Lienz to Monte Zoncolan

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
I feel your pain.. GF just allowed me to watch a stage with her by my side for the first time :p (guess I've been a good boy or something :rolleyes:)
good thing is my little bro and mom love cycling :D

Did she really have to pick out one of the most boring days of the giro for this? Perhaps if she watched tomorrow or saturday she would get excited as well, not really the case with the stage of today

Didn't Rujano lose most of his time on the strade bianchi? I know it's largely flat, but couldn't that be a problem for him?

EDIT: And I would be remiss if I did not say kudos to Hitch for the fantastic introduction. My legs were hurting just reading it.:eek:

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! my legs exploded 1.5km into the crostis descent, which forced me to abandon reading. i hope to recover overnight, then resume first thing in the morning.

with luck, i won't have to wait long for assistance from a neutral reader on the ascent of zoncolan.

whew! that there is suuuuummmmm kinda' writin', hitch. i will be sure to have extra water bottles and energy drinks stacked beside me *before* i start watching saturday morning.

thank you for a superbly descriptive stage preview!!

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
thirteen said:
i'm thinking of going to a nice cycling bar to watch this...

any recommendations on how to stay somewhat sober so i can walk home without getting lost?

staying somewhat sober so you can walk home without getting lost is best handled with proper preperation *before* leaving home:

bread crumbs and flourescent duct tape. :D

ideally, the walk home is uphill: should you stumble and fall, you pretty much stop where you fell - none of that messy rolling and rolling and rolling that happens when falling downhill.

not that *i* personally know of such things, of course. ;)
;)

A

Anonymous

on todays evidence contador would blow them away, if he wants to.

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
zamasailo said:
on todays evidence contador would blow them away, if he wants to.

Probably.

I'm still putting money on a wide shot: Contador to do his signature style attacks on Zoncolan, but having judged the somewhat brutal nature of the slopes there, he blows up.

One can still hope, eh?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
This stage is just too hard - even for elite of the elite - either they will ride cpnservatively and save their legs - or the time gaps will be measured in geological terms.

Just completing the stage within the cutoff will be an extraordinary effort. Respect to any rider who finishes.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Somebody wants to bet what the difference will be between Contador / Rujano to the rest on the Zoncolan + descent?

Personally I'll go for 3+ minutes and like 5 if Contador goes on the Crostis. :)

Hitch, fantastic Stage Intro.

After today's stage, I have no idea what will happen tomorrow. I can't tell if the contenders were taking it easy today to save energy, or if they just gave up. I'm hoping one of them straps on a pair and takes a chance at something big. Obviously this is easier said than done, but someone will have to risk losing a lot of time in order to win this Giro.