• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2017 rumours - Il Centesimo

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Biggest disappointment as of now, for me, is stage 18.
VFlpNtH.jpg

Would so much have preferred Pordoi - Campolongo - Valparola - Santa Lucia - Fedaia - Sella - Ortisei (only 7km longer, so still a short stage, but they can drop SL if they want it shorter)

This could have been much better if they had reversed most of the last week and made some small changes:

15: ? - Piancavallo
16: Dolomite stage, at least 200 km
17: Flat-medium Trentino stage
18: Veneto stage (Monte Grappa)
19: Trento - Bormio via Tonale, Mortirolo, Umbrail, Stelvio
20: Bormio/Tirano-Bergamo via either San Marco or Vivione and Presolana followed by several Il Lombardia climbs.
21: Bergamo-Milano

Where is Strade Bianche and all the hilly/classics-style stages?

Too many ____/ and the final mountain stage is horrible. Obviously Sardinia stages 1 and 2 are too flat/boring.

I like Firenze, Bormio, Ortisei and that the final TT starts on Monza racetrack though.

Overall, as a Giro d'Italia, it's pretty mediocre and underwhelming.
As a 100th Giro d'Italia and paying tribute and honour to the history and traditions of Italian cycling past and present, it's horrifically bad.

Plus points:
- a race that starts with a road stage that doesn't totally suck, it will still probably be a sprint but there is actually some cause for selectivity
- the contenders and pretenders are sorted early, meaning a less nervous péloton and hopefully fewer crashes in the rest of week 1
- Stage 11 is interesting, albeit way too short for the role I'd hope for for it.
- there are two ITTs
- there are zero TTTs

Minus points:
- there is no real long suffering stage, the only 220km+ stage is mostly flat
- Chieti is not categorized
- there are three sub-140km mountain stages. Those super-short ones can work once or twice but organizers are going to the well way too often.
- when those super-short stages have worked it's been when there are mid-climb stages for earlier moves or ambushes to work, like Andalo, Sant'Anna di Vinadio, Alpe d'Huez in the Tour, Formigal and so on. The value of those short stages is next to nothing when they go Unipuerto
- I am so over the Pantani veneration now. Oropa would be little more than Montevergine if Il Pirata hadn't gone all out there.
- Climbing to the Cima Coppi on a road they descend in the stage finale sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Watch for fans high up near the summit of Stelvio to then be running down the mountain to get a vantage point on Umbrailpass.
- Neither TT is of a real length
- About a gazillion classic spots omitted, in favour of some spots with little real Giro history or interest. I understand one classic spot they really wanted in but weren't able to have due to circumstances beyond their control, so I cut them some slack on that (Monte Terminillo, the first MTF in the Giro's history) but otherwise, so much is missing.
- The Canazei stage is a directly unfunny joke
- There are three Unipuerto stages out of seven mountain stages
- Weak sides of several classic climbs
- Tame finale
- No sterrato in Peschici also makes it a fairly lame weekend stage
- penultimate weekend is pretty lame too
- did I mention how much the Oropa stage sucks? Literally everything about this stage is awful. It's not long enough to produce any tired legs, it's Unipuerto so no chance for riders to use those fresh legs to attack, the finishing climb is pretty bland and they were only there a year or two ago, plus there are different options in the area for an interesting stage, none of which were taken
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.
- THERE IS NO FEDAIA.

First of all we know that RCS usually make some changes between the presentation profiles and the official ones that will come out in april so i don't consider this the definitive route.

Looking at the stages:
*First three we already know
*Stage 4 good
*Stage 5 in the city of Nibali i'd expected a downhill finish to favour him
*Stage 6 too easy finale
*Stage 7 at least it's not all flat
*Stage 8 too easy finale
*Stage 9 i wanted to see all Blockhaus so i'm a bit disappointed
*Stage 10 too short
*Stage 11 good but could be better with the start not so far from the finish, yesterday i've tried to draw an hard stage on cronoescalada and come out with nearly 6000 metres of altitude gain in a bit more than 200 kms and i put also a sector of strada bianca on the Pratomagno after Vallombrosa (i know i'm biased with this stage because it's an area that i know well and i wanted a monster stage).
*Stage 12 crazy the passage on the A1 to cross the Appennines but at least it's not all flat
*Stage 13 here come the pancake flat, disappointing with the stage before also for sprinters, i'd expected at least an Asolo like finale
*Stage 14 Vuelta like all flat run to the final climb as expected
*Stage 15 worst than i expected and terrible for the second week sunday
*Stage 16 a bit disappointing that we don't have the hard side of Stelvio but is good though i'd prefer the version with Presolana, Vivione, Aprica Mortirolo and Gavia
*Stage 17 if the break won't go on Tonale could be a sprint in Canazei :rolleyes:
*Stage 18 the best steage of the Giro IMHO
*Stage 19 terrible for the last saturday
*Stage 20 terrible for the last sunday
*Stage 21 good because i hate the "passerella finale"

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Pff, for me this Giro is quite a dissapointment.
Not only because it's the 100th edition, but especially because in a certain way it's getting more and more a Vuelta-like route: a couple of stages with long flat runs into the last MTF (Blockhaus, Oropa, Piancovallo), but without some good mountain stages where long range attacks seem likely (I don't think an attack on Stelvio is likely because Umbrail is pretty hard in itself). First week is ok (not great), second week and third week are.... well, I don't know what to say about it. With +/- 70km of individual time trialling, at least the climbers should be encouraged to attack early. I think (hope!) Dumoulin is interested in this route!

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I've just seen the leaked route that was posted on here, I beg that it is not true, I would be disappointed if this was a route for a normal giro let alone Il Centesimo!
A normal Giro route normally has more iconic climbs than this!! Considering the 2015 and 2016 routes were so good I just cannot believe they have potentially messed it up so much!
Since this thread was created back in may I do not think that there has ever been such a hotly anticipated route before, I was expecting to see all the iconic climbs like the Fedaia/Pordoi, Stelvio (from prato), Mortirolo/Aprica, Zoncolan, Finestre, Giau/Tre Cime. But instead the big dolomite stage it to Ortisei, For the 100th we should have a stage in the dolomites like the Gardeccia stage in 2011 or the Passo Fedaia stage in 2008, or a passo Fedaia/Passo Pordoi like in 1996!
And don't get me stared on the rumours stage 20, for a final mountain stage in a normal Giro it is not good enough, let alone the 100th!
I am honestly so disappointed if this leaked route is true.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Mehhh it isn't that bad, but it's frustrating how easy it would have been to make some improvements......

Biggest disappointments for me are the Unipublic stages and stage 20. Seriously, stage 20 wtf, it's the worst possible thing they could have done. There are a million and one sides up that mountain and they figured they'd pick the easiest one. How on earth can anybody think that is a good idea? Even the stupid gimmicky twice up Monte Grappa would've been better because at least the stage would've been hard.......

Ortisei stage is really weird, but not in a bad way. The last TT being 28km is nice. Congratulations for having a meaningful 21st stage!

I'm pretty disappointed really. I'm very happy with Etna as a first MTF, and stage 5 is as I expected unfortunately. Stage 6 needed a tougher climb in the middle and it could've been done pretty easily, with an extra 20km detour into the mainland and back. The ramps at the end look nice but I don't know the gradients. Stage 7 is poor. Stage 8 is disappointing as it needed sterrato but by itself it isn't that bad. Problem is Blockhaus is next, and it isn't even all of it. And there aren't any climbs preceding it, and it's really short.

Stage 10 is too short, and so is 11. 11 is quite nice though. Stage 12 is very disappointing imo but I understand the all flat Stage 13, which is a staple of every Giro. The Oropa MTF is not good, and the stage to Bergamo could've been great, but they skipped the two hardest climbs.

I like Stage 16 very much but there could be a few logistical problems. It's a shame about the harder side of Stelvio not being used but that's three HC climbs in a row which is nice (mortirolo is borderline actually). And this could mean action from Stelvio, especially with the joke of the stage after. I quite like Stage 18, it's a very interesting design, but perhaps a bit too short. It's a bit weird though and could be a flop, but at least we see the beauty that is Passo Gardena (no Fedaia but not bad at all). Ofc I much prefer my version of the stage :p. Stage 19 is Froome's stage. Absolutely perfect for him. And stage 20 is abysmal. The best case scenario posted by Eshnar was actually quite cool, but this isn't. I like the last stage, as 30km can create some gaps and the roads are very wide and flat and not technical; it also passes by my aunt's house so I may make my way down if exams permit (which they won't but I can dream).

In short, not enough classic mountains is my key issue, and too many unipeurtos. Not a great 100th Giro. Oh, and only 2 hilly stages which is one of my favourite parts of the Giro, especially now Tirreno have stopped doing them as much. And both aren't that good

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
Also, pretty sure Froome tweets something about the doing the Giro every year, before never mentioning it again. If a French guy asks him, he's aiming for the Tour for the next years. It would'nt make sense for Sky at all.

Apparently Chris Froome really wanted to ride the 2015 Giro because of the 59km TT, but team sky wouldn't let him because for team sky the Tour takes priority.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Maybe it's just a coincidence, but today (around 2 p.m.) I saw two cars owned by RCS, with a Giro d'Italia paintjob on the body, that were parked right in front of my hometowns municipal building (I'm from Innichen/San Candido).
I was right :cool:
At least we get a Giro stage, but for the 100th Giro that's a pretty bad route.

The Pordoi/Ortisei stage is quite disappointing now that I thought about it more. Going to Falzarego-Giau-Fedaia after Pordoi would be better, even if it would just be 110km.

Wish Finestre was in this race. Would be easy to swap for that Oropa thing.

Also hopefully Zoncolan comes back in 2018

TRENDING THREADS