• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2017 rumours - Il Centesimo

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
I think we can all agree though that Ponte a Ema was a necessary inclusion and it would have been a travesty of a 100th Giro without it. Now, where the hell is Novi Ligure?
Yes, but you can include Ponte a Ema in another way, for example with the start of the stage to Reggio Emilia (between Bagno di Romagna and Ponte a Ema there are less than 80 kms, not so long transfer) or also with the start in Forlì you can pass in Ponte a Ema in a stage to Reggio Emilia (and will be also more interesting that a pan flat stage in Po Valley).

Novi Ligure is very close to Tortona and Castellania, there is room for at least a passage in one of this two stages.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
El Pistolero said:
A shame they most likely won't finish in Rome. Milan is a city with nothing to offer besides the Duomo and fashion.

The 100th Giro should end in Rome, on a route that uses the old Roman roads (think of the extinct Roma Maxima semi-classic), to make for an exciting final stage. It's time to break traditions and have the last stage of a GT be raced for real. The finish-line should be in front of the Colloseum.

The winner should be crowned with a Radiant Crown, made from actual gold (and if that's too expensive, a layer of gold will do just fine). It looks something like depicted on this coin:

079_Traianus_Decius.jpg
Rome offers nothing in terms of Giro history. Milan is the home of the Gazzetta, and where the first Giro both started and ended. It is the spiritual home of the race. Rome is beautiful sure but is not important in commemorating the race.

The 100th Giro should transcend cycling and celebrate the glorious history of the Italian peninsula. And let's be honest, Italy's history since the unification is kind of pathetic, so that means we have to go back all the way to the Roman Empire.

El Pistolero said:
Brullnux said:
El Pistolero said:
A shame they most likely won't finish in Rome. Milan is a city with nothing to offer besides the Duomo and fashion.

The 100th Giro should end in Rome, on a route that uses the old Roman roads (think of the extinct Roma Maxima semi-classic), to make for an exciting final stage. It's time to break traditions and have the last stage of a GT be raced for real. The finish-line should be in front of the Colloseum.

The winner should be crowned with a Radiant Crown, made from actual gold (and if that's too expensive, a layer of gold will do just fine). It looks something like depicted on this coin:

079_Traianus_Decius.jpg
Rome offers nothing in terms of Giro history. Milan is the home of the Gazzetta, and where the first Giro both started and ended. It is the spiritual home of the race. Rome is beautiful sure but is not important in commemorating the race.

The 100th Giro should transcend cycling and celebrate the glorious history of the Italian peninsula. And let's be honest, Italy's history since the unification is kind of pathetic, so that means we have to go back all the way to the Roman Empire.

Nobody gives a shiit about history. And rightfully so.

jens_attacks said:
El Pistolero said:
Brullnux said:
El Pistolero said:

079_Traianus_Decius.jpg

Don't you want to watch when history is made

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

jens_attacks said:
El Pistolero said:
Brullnux said:
El Pistolero said:

079_Traianus_Decius.jpg

Only dumb people don't care about history.

They tried with Rome already in 2009. It was an half-flop. Little enthusiasm, little public.
Cycling isn't a very popular sport in rome. There was more public and ambience in 2013 in Brescia or in 2010 in Verona. Milan is the city of the Giro, historically, whereas Rome has a difficult history with the race.

EroicaStradeBianche said:
They tried with Rome already in 2009. It was an half-flop. Little enthusiasm, little public.
Cycling isn't a very popular sport in rome. There was more public and ambience in 2013 in Brescia or in 2010 in Verona. Milan is the city of the Giro, historically, whereas Rome has a difficult history with the race.
This is also true. Milan has much more cycling history than Rome, in fact could be considered (after perhaps Tuscany) the capital of Italian, with Milano-Sanremo of course and Il Giro Della Lombardia traditionally straight and ending there in the 'olden days'. It's where the initial Giri started and ended, and where La Gazzetta was founded.

Stage six will start in Reggio Calabria, officially announced by local administrators
http://www.strettoweb.com/2016/10/giro-ditalia-2017-e-ufficiale-la-6a-tappa-da-reggio-calabria-a-terme-luigiane/472994/

Looking on the map for the finish will be better if they'll go on the hill of Guardia Piemontese (it's 400 metres high), Terme Luigiane is in the valley at only 100 metres high.
https://www.google.it/maps/@39.4677347,15.9936187,15.25z/data=!5m1!1e4
There is also a cobbled ramp when you enter in the town
https://www.google.it/maps/@39.4650599,15.9996449,3a,60y,257.65h,89.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZ4QwSrXY7HjzQWfV8ldQeQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e4

Re:

Nirvana said:
Looking on the map for the finish will be better if they'll go on the hill of Guardia Piemontese (it's 400 metres high), Terme Luigiane is in the valley at only 100 metres high.
For uphill finishes there's the Vuelta. Here I'd expect something along the lines of the stage to Praia a Mare this year, hopefully.

There are speculations that the final ITT might start in Monza (at the circuit). That would be 22ish km to reach the Duomo in Milan, but only if you go straight all the way.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Eshnar said:
In all the Giros designed by Vegni stage 20 was either the toughest or the second toughest of the entire route. This year it will be the latter option, I have little doubts.
Thanks. What do you make of the double Grappa ascent "rumor"?
I don't know. It is definitely possible, but so are other routes. As I said, I expect the stage to be 5-stars, and there are plenty alternatives in the area (all revolving around Mt. Grappa, but not necessarily twice) to make it so.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re:

mikii4567 said:
No, I am, too :D

Stage 4:
Portella Femminamorta - 32.7km @ 4.5%
Etna (Rif. Sapienza) - 17.5km @ 6.6%

A very long and dragging first climb, for selection, before a solid cat. 1 MTF. Looks interesting.

I would have preferred Passo dell'Obolo as a first climb (27 km @ 5.5%) instead of Portella.
In that way we would have had two proper HC climbs, but that's too much asking for a first MTF (mountain) stage so early in a GT.

Eshnar said:
Nirvana said:
For uphill finishes there's the Vuelta. Here I'd expect something along the lines of the stage to Praia a Mare this year, hopefully.

There are speculations that the final ITT might start in Monza (at the circuit). That would be 22ish km to reach the Duomo in Milan, but only if you go straight all the way.
Before Vegni were a usual feature the uphill finishes at the Giro, i don't want an exxageration like the Vuelta but at least one or two should be in.

Looking at the videos of previous stage finished in Terme Luigiane that i fuond on you tube in 1995 seems similar to Praia a Mare last year with a climb at around 10 kms to go and a decent selection but in 2003 was pretty easy with only a slight uphill finish (Petacchi was third).