• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 16: Trento – Rovereto 34.2 km ITT

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
gregrowlerson said:
I don't get the criticism of Dumoulin in general and in this race. So he is apparently not riding well, and is a poor climber, yet on a route that has thus far given him an enormous TEN kms against the clock he remains ahead of 'climbers' such as Pinot, Pozzovivo, and let's not forget Lopez in the overall standings. There must have been at least a handful of stages now that have been somewhat mountainous, so if Tom is such a poor climber than I reckon he must have gained about a minute per km on Lopez in that extraordinarily long opening ITT for the GC situation to be as it is now.

If you go off the gospel of much of these boards then that makes total sense.
:lol: Indeed.

The fact that he's on par with Lopez in most mountain stages so far says a lot actually. And better in the punchy stages.
As I mention in the Stage analysis thread, this Giro is backloaded and the stages so far have helped Dumoulin on his quest. I still think he is in great shape and climbing well.

Lopez is out of it because of his bike handling skills not his lack of climbing skills.

DNP-Old said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
fyi just realized Campenaerts is still in this race and he saved himself every day. And then I noticed Tony Martin being dead last yesterday, probably saved himself as well.

Might not be for Dumoulin or Dennis then.
Campenaerts yes, Martin I very much doubt. I don't think it's a case of saving energy for him, I just think he's become a terrible bike rider. When was his good TT even? I for one can't recall it.
I would want to be a terrible bike rider then... But no, I cannot remember when he did well in ITTs either.

Escarabajo said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
gregrowlerson said:
I don't get the criticism of Dumoulin in general and in this race. So he is apparently not riding well, and is a poor climber, yet on a route that has thus far given him an enormous TEN kms against the clock he remains ahead of 'climbers' such as Pinot, Pozzovivo, and let's not forget Lopez in the overall standings. There must have been at least a handful of stages now that have been somewhat mountainous, so if Tom is such a poor climber than I reckon he must have gained about a minute per km on Lopez in that extraordinarily long opening ITT for the GC situation to be as it is now.

The fact that he's on par with Lopez in most mountain stages so far says a lot actually. And better in the punchy stages.
As I mention in the Stage analysis thread, this Giro is backloaded and the stages so far have helped Dumoulin on his quest. I still think he is in great shape and climbing well.

Lopez is out of it because of his bike handling skills not his lack of climbing skills.
For a Giro, it is far from backloaded. We had two proper MTFs in the first week.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
No. He would not have a reasonable chance in doing so. In a flat TT? No way. That would offset his previous flat TT performances by so much. You are talking about Simon Yates, a guy outside the top 20 in most TT's (this prologue was a special course), having a reasonable chance of beating the world champion time trial if there wasn't a rest day??

For reference, Nibali lost 54 seconds in the final TT of last year Giro (29 km).
Quintana 1'24".

Netserk said:
Escarabajo said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
gregrowlerson said:

For a Giro, it is far from backloaded. We had two proper MTFs in the first week.
Not multi mountain I meant. Those stages play in favor of Dumoulin. We saw that last year. In the last two days he rode wonderful minimizing his losses. Especially that last stage. Zoncolan played a little in his favor because of the steepness.

I haven't seen one in a while which is my point.
I wanted to say Corvara in 2016 but that one was stage 14.
Organizers love suspense and competition as opposed to what used to happened many years ago. So now the cut the kilometers of TT and backload all the hard stages to last week.
Personally I would prefer one hard stage in week 1 or early week 2. But that doesn't help the suspense. If they had done that Aru and maybe Froome would have been out of it fairly quickly.

You write as if it's something new, but afaik the same was the case 10, 20, and 30 years ago. The hardest mountain stages are always in the second half of the Giro. This year we have Zonc on stage 14. We've had plenty of difficult terrain in the first half of the race; if that wasn't the case, you'd easily be able to point out a Giro that had a significant harder first half. Go back 50 years if you have to.

DNP-Old said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
fyi just realized Campenaerts is still in this race and he saved himself every day. And then I noticed Tony Martin being dead last yesterday, probably saved himself as well.

Campenaerts yes, Martin I very much doubt. I don't think it's a case of saving energy for him, I just think he's become a terrible bike rider. When was his good TT even? I for one can't recall it.

you're joking, aren't you?! His time trialing may not be as good as anymore a couple of years ago, but he surely does not finish minutes behind the grupetto because he's such a terrible bike rider. Him and Dowsett lost as much time as possible to get an earlier starting spot

Re:

Netserk said:
You write as if it's something new, but afaik the same was the case 10, 20, and 30 years ago. The hardest mountain stages are always in the second half of the Giro. This year we have Zonc on stage 14. We've had plenty of difficult terrain in the first half of the race; if that wasn't the case, you'd easily be able to point out a Giro that had a significant harder first half. Go back 50 years if you have to.
I don't mean the Giro only. I am talking GT's in general. Including La Vuelta and Tour.
Tour used to have a very hard stage (sometimes queen) on the 10th stage. It was almost the norm to sort things out. Vuelta spread things out evenly in order to have riders in top from from the start of the race.
Riders should be in peak form from day one, not wait until the last week like it often happens. I just don't like it.

BTW, you know too much about cycling so it is always nice to have someone to keep us in check. :)

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 16: Trento – Rovereto 34.2 km I

I think some of you guys are crazy... In a flat TT even in fantastic shape Yates is going to loose minimum of 1.30 minutos to Dumoulin. In my opinion it´s going to be 2 m. to 2.30 mn.

Yates can be in the shape of his life, but it´s a flat TT and he can´t stop loosing much time. Dumoulin is the best TT´S in the world at the moment.

About the race, chapeau to Yates, but he still has to proove he can delivery it in 3 weeks. And as we have seen in the past ( like 2 years ago with nibali ), there´s always anything that can happen until the last day, and the giro isn´t over. Yes, if things continue like this Yates is going to win by far, because there is still 4 mountain stages, but... Until the last day, race in on.

Valv.Piti said:
DNP-Old said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

I would want to be a terrible bike rider then... But no, I cannot remember when he did well in ITTs either.
The reason you can't remember is because it has been a long time since he even raced a long, flat time trial. He hasn't done any this year and the only one he did last year was at the German national championships. Before that, you have to go back to the 2016 World Championships. The fact of the matter is that we don't really know what Martin can do in a long, flat time trial against top competition because it has been so long since we have seen him in that kind of race. (And this time trial itself barely qualifies as "long.")

filipepc said:
About the race, chapeau to Yates, but he still has to proove he can delivery it in 3 weeks. And as we have seen in the past ( like 2 years ago with nibali ), there´s always anything that can happen until the last day, and the giro isn´t over. Yes, if things continue like this Yates is going to win by far, because there is still 4 mountain stages, but... Until the last day, race in on.

In fact, the last 3 Giros have seen the leader wobble in the last week.

cellardoor said:
filipepc said:

It's a pretty weak field this year though. I think Yates will be feeling much more comfortable having Pozzovivo, Dumoulin and Pinot as his main mountain rivals in the last week, compared with if it was Nibali, Quintana or the Landa/Aru combo.

DFA123 said:
cellardoor said:
filipepc said:

It's a pretty weak field this year though. I think Yates will be feeling much more comfortable having Pozzovivo, Dumoulin and Pinot as his main mountain rivals in the last week, compared with if it was Nibali, Quintana or the Landa/Aru combo.

...Or Lance...

Oltean_RO said:
DFA123 said:
cellardoor said:
filipepc said:

...Or Lance...
That would be pretty scary. Leading a GT for the first time with a week to go and you have to fend off Lance in the mountains. The reputation, the psychological warfare and the intimidation would see a lot of riders crumble I think. It's difficult to see Pozzovivo and Pinot applying the same kind of pressure.

Does anyone know if there's a place online that has full broadcast or at least the final hour or so for each stage? I won't be able to watch tomorrow's stage live and am wondering if I should avoid spoilers and watch the stage later, but I haven't found anything longer than a few minutes on youtube.
Also I thought Eurosport had a replay of the day's stage later in the evening but I can't seem to find any information about that now.

LaFlorecita said:
Does anyone know if there's a place online that has full broadcast or at least the final hour or so for each stage? I won't be able to watch tomorrow's stage live and am wondering if I should avoid spoilers and watch the stage later, but I haven't found anything longer than a few minutes on youtube.
Also I thought Eurosport had a replay of the day's stage later in the evening but I can't seem to find any information about that now.

Ya eurosport player has replays. Just scroll down the days schedule to whatever time the giro was on live, and it should still be available to click on and play from start to finish.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:

Try here: http://tiz-cycling.racing/categories/giro-2018/

cellardoor said:
LaFlorecita said:

Try here: http://tiz-cycling.racing/categories/giro-2018/

Tiz is quickly replacing steephill as the best spot for non-spoiler replays

search said:
DNP-Old said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

you're joking, aren't you?! His time trialing may not be as good as anymore a couple of years ago, but he surely does not finish minutes behind the grupetto because he's such a terrible bike rider. Him and Dowsett lost as much time as possible to get an earlier starting spot
I'm not joking, the word terrible is just relative. His fall off has been immense, and he comes nowhere near his old self. I haven't checked and this is purely by memory, but I think his last victory in a time trial, or victory per se, was in a German championship beating 53 y/o Teutenberg.