• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2021 stage 16: Sacile - Cortina d'Ampezzo 212km

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

??

• Total voters
Because he went against the wishes of the majority of the riders, and shortened the stage?
Because his actions are nonsensical as they don't actually remove all the 'dangerous' descents, so the safety argument is moot, and go against the wishes of the majority of the riders, let alone those of sponsors and fans.

If the CPA has pushed for this too (and that's what it looks like), they have once again failed to stand up for the majority of the riders, stood up for the minority instead and have once again proven that they are utterly unfit for their supposed purpose. So the same applies to them.

"I think it’s the best decision. The riders want to race the stage and put on a show but the stage was going to go over 2000m three times. We hoped for an improvement in the weather and tried to do the whole stage but looking at the forecasts for the high mountains they could get worse.
"We didn’t want to expose the riders to risks in the high mountains and I want to thank RCS Sport for taking the best decision possible. The Passo Giau is still set to be raced in the hope the weather improves during the day.
"The riders will race hard and put on a show."

This is very clear: Some riders requested it, don't know how many, the CPA went with them. They are blaming the weather, saying the riders would want to, but, unfortunately, absolutely not possible. Essentially they aren't saying they wanted the stage to go ahead with this weather, but they would have like it in better conditions.
Sorry, Redhead, yes, at least some riders are whiny. I know it's a tough stage, but if you don't want things like this you can do track. Rain and descents and cold and high mountains are part of GT road cycling. It's not only a pity for us viewers but even more so for the riders who would have liked to do the stage in full.

"I think it’s the best decision. The riders want to race the stage and put on a show but the stage was going to go over 2000m three times. We hoped for an improvement in the weather and tried to do the whole stage but looking at the forecasts for the high mountains they could get worse.
"We didn’t want to expose the riders to risks in the high mountains and I want to thank RCS Sport for taking the best decision possible. The Passo Giau is still set to be raced in the hope the weather improves during the day.
"The riders will race hard and put on a show."

This is very clear: Some riders requested it, don't know how many, the CPA went with them. They are blaming the weather, saying the riders would want to, but, unfortunately, absolutely not possible. Essentially they aren't saying they wanted the stage to go ahead with this weather, but they would have like it in better conditions.
Sorry, Redhead, yes, at least some riders are whiny. I know it's a tough stage, but if you don't want things like this you can do track. Rain and descents and cold and high mountains are part of GT road cycling. It's not only a pity for us viewers but even more so for the riders who would have liked to do the stage in full.
Usually it's the WT teams who don't have a rider who is up there on the gc...

TRENDING THREADS