• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023, stage 11: Camaiore - Tortona 219 km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
TGH dropped out of the race due to poor bike handling skills. Which is an important part of cycling. Just because someone falls a few metres in front of you doesn't automatically mean you have to fall too. Better that robots don't always win...
Nah. His bike handling skills were on great display during Sundays TT!

Thomas is the awful bike handler.

But there were riders falling left and right.

crashes on the wet happened before the disc brakes and will happen in the future too... simple as that. disc vs rim brakes debate is kinda pointless regarding this. riders see fall in front of them, go into panic mode, full brakes and when it's wet they are going down discs or no discs. high level rim brakes sent riders down in similar conditions all the time.
it's more about bike handling skills in critical situations than brakes.

Nah

Tao had the shape this year. Hindley won last year. Almeida is a legit contender as he was last year. Kelderman is the one weird guy you often had on the Giro d'Italia podium (Osa, Bruseghin, Mazzoleni).

The 2020 Giro doesn't deserve this comparison anymore.
Kelderman got 5th in the Tour the year after. Hardly a 'weird guy' to have on a Giro podium. Personally I thought Hart was way more odd as a podium finisher, let alone winning it. Only this year he's shown some of that quality again (or actually, a lot of quality).

Reactions: Sandisfan
crashes on the wet happened before the disc brakes and will happen in the future too... simple as that. disc vs rim brakes debate is kinda pointless regarding this. riders see fall infront of them, go into panic full brakes and when it's wet they are going down discs or no discs. best rim brakes used in the past did riders in panic down when it was wet all the time.
it's more about handling in critical situations than brakes.
You could, I suppose, make the argument that disc brakes lead to higher speeds in the wet. And it's easier to lock up your wheels with powerful hydraulic discs = once you lock up a wheel, it's game over. This was a "typical" crash, in that Covi lost his front wheel, GT was thrown off line and everyone behind had to alter their line -- greasy roads, decreasing radius turn, and bam. I wouldn't say anyone is particularly guilty of poor bike handling -- where were the riders behind the Covi/GT pile going to go?

This really sucks for Tao -- I think he came here with a giant chip on his shoulder after Jai's win last year to show that he, too, wasn't just a flash in the pan. He looked in perfect shape and had a powerful team. This chance might not come along again for him.

Reactions: Sandisfan
You could, I suppose, make the argument that disc brakes lead to higher speeds in the wet. And it's easier to lock up your wheels with powerful hydraulic discs = once you lock up a wheel, it's game over. This was a "typical" crash, in that Covi lost his front wheel, GT was thrown off line and everyone behind had to alter their line -- greasy roads, decreasing radius turn, and bam. I wouldn't say anyone is particularly guilty of poor bike handling -- where were the riders behind the Covi/GT pile going to go?

This really sucks for Tao -- I think he came here with a giant chip on his shoulder after Jai's win last year to show that he, too, wasn't just a flash in the pan. He looked in perfect shape and had a powerful team. This chance might not come along again for him.
If you discount his Giro win, Tao is on course to be miserable Igor Anton.

Nah. His bike handling skills were on great display during Sundays TT!

Thomas is the awful bike handler.

But there were riders falling left and right.

I guess your expectations are low. If he or Rog had good bike handling skills, they wouldn't have braked so hard and tried to take that corner at all costs. They saw the danger and could have easily prepared, brake carefully and let the bike go straight as far as they could out onto the roadside on the muddy, soft ground...

• Haha
Reactions: Carols
I guess your expectations are low. If he or Rog had good bike handling skills, they wouldn't have braked so hard and tried to take that corner at all costs. They saw the danger and could have easily prepared, brake carefully and let the bike go straight as far as they could out onto the roadside on the muddy, soft ground...

Observing here from the couch i tend to agree. Such bad riding skills. I spilled a bit of tee to test it. And the couch didn't slip!

Reactions: Carols