• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro Stage 5: Modena – Cattolica 175 km

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will it be a sprint?

• Total voters
Sorry, no. Although I agree in general that bike handling is part of the job, this was a really dangerous finale after such an easy stage - many, many harsh bends, roundabouts, lots of narrowings and divisions, constantly roads got narrow, than broad again.
If you know there is no way out of a bunch sprint anyway, why then have such last 15k? You KNOW 100% that crashes will happen. In a GT that's just not necessary.
I have seen many races BlueRoads and this one did not look any different from many others. Gosh, in Europe almost every finish looks like this and we complain always of the same. It is part of the races unless they start doing the finishes outside the cities!

• Haha
Reactions: search and Luthor
So gutted for Landa. Good for UCI they ban the supertuck but they can't do anything to ensure we get safer finishes in these stages. Vegni complains about too many teams, also doesn't give a damn that maybe the peloton is too large and they should take that into account.

View: https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1392505476919832583
It's a separate debate, but I think long, straight finishes with no bends can be just as dangerous because more teams can get involved. It's been discussed before but really they need to find a better way of getting the GC guys out of the way. It'll probably lead to more competitive sprinting too.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It's a separate debate, but I think long, straight finishes with no bends can be just as dangerous because more teams can get involved. It's been discussed before but really they need to find a better way of getting the GC guys out of the way. It'll probably lead to more competitive sprinting too.
Just take the time at 5km except if there's an uphill finish. If there's an uphill sprint, cap the time loss that can happen due to a mechanical/crash

I legitimately think the GC teams should just have a gentleman's agreement to neutralize things between them and hang out behind the sprint trains. The trend which started last decade of GC teams massing at the front to get their riders to the 3KM barrier has kind of led to this kind of arms race.

Sprinting and flat stages have already been marginalized enough, we don't need any more special treatment for climbers.

Is there any evidence that being next to the front lowers the risk of crashing in sprint stages (or any other kind of stage really)?

Sivakov crashed while he was in the first 30 positions of the bunch.
It'll lower the odds of you getting taken down when others crash, purely because there's less people infront who could crash. Whether it lowers the odds of you crashing yourself is a different matter.

TRENDING THREADS