• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Graham Watson is just one more LA's blabber?!

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
So you admit that he is starting rumors himself and think that's not a big deal? You're simply wrong on that. Watson is a big man in cycling and for him to start, or even spread, a rumor of this magnitude is most certainly big news.

It has been reported nowhere in the media that Contador may have to ride the Tour for another team. This is a very big story and even bigger is that it's been broken by Watson.

Sorry - I missed the part where I admitted he was "starting a rumour himself"

all these bongs are sucking up to Lance's last remaining nad.

Luckily we are all smart enough not to believe anything the comes out of their @$$ki$$ing mouths.

Thankfully we can still look at real cycling pics taken by the likes of Cor Vos.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
I know exactly who he is mate.

Might I suggest that you lay off the attempts to strenghten your points by attacking the intelligence/knowledge-base of those that write something that is reasonably worded yet disagrees with your views?
I stand by what I wrote - he isn't actually part of the UCI and not managing Astana, nor their sponsor. I don't care how many races he has been to or how many cyclists houses he is welcome in - I have no more reason to believe that he actually knows the current financial position of the Astana team than Fausto Coppi does (and yes I am aware that he is unfortunately deceased).

To remove the obvious attempt at humour from that last sentence, I could equally say that I have no more reason to take GWs comment about Astana seriously than I would if any one of the following said it: Ligget, Sherwin, LA, Hog, Prudhomme (sp) Legay, Bjarne, Wigans, Greg Lemond, or Bernard Hinault.

If he Twits something like this in isolation, I am sorry but I for one see it as it is, a simple spreading of a rumour with little or no cause to take it seriously.

To extend my earlier analogy - if Martin Brundle said on TV that Lewis Hamilton was going to retire at the end of the year, I would say "yeah right, lets see what actually happens"

A lot of what you said is correct - however RR was responding to your earlier quote of "trumped up photographer"!

While overall I agree that too much has been made of Grahams comments, Graham is a well respected photographer who has enviable access so any comments by him will be interpreted as information from one in the know.

To take your analogy - GW would have been best advised to twitter the same response as Fausto would to the same question ;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
A lot of what you said is correct - however RR was responding to your earlier quote of "trumped up photographer"!

While overall I agree that too much has been made of Grahams comments, Graham is a well respected photographer who has enviable access so any comments by him will be interpreted as information from one in the know.

To take your analogy - GW would have been best advised to twitter the same response as Fausto would to the same question ;)

Fair enough - However the use of trumped up photographer was in context and didn't ( I think) give avenue for someone to challenge me directly over my knowledge rather than discuss the point itself. For instance, if I made a comment like 'Trumped up commentator' about Ligget or Sherwin as part of a wider point, would that then mean someone should try to win points implying I know nothing about cycling rather than discuss the point I raised?

Anyway like I indicated, I disagree that this tweet has sufficient depth or insight to cause some of the commentary in this thread. As I said, I would still find such text quite dubious even if it came from other respected people in the know.

Trumped up photographer may well be a little harsh (although lets face it, its rather benign given what people get called around here) but given that I was comparing him to the likes of multi time tour winners who are part of the Tour organisation or our dear Pat himself....

El Imbatido said:
Graham Watson is adding more fuel to the fire via his twitter:

"To answer some pointed questions: Lance came here to train and did just that; Alberto came here to win and lost - hope that clears stuff up."

http://twitter.com/grahamwatson10/statuses/11204699846

How much further can his head go up there:rolleyes: you know where i'm talking about

So it's better to show up to races fat and out of shape so when you get dropped you can claim you're just there for training. Also, only idiots with "a lot to learn" show up fit after winning two races because in this case you become favored to win and if you don't then the boot-licking toadies of riders who got dropped will accuse you of being a loser.

Hope that clears stuff up. Now if you'll excuse me Lance and I have a pie eating contest to compete in.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
So it's better to show up to races fat and out of shape so when you get dropped you can claim you're just there for training. Also, only idiots with "a lot to learn" show up fit after winning two races because in this case you become favored to win and if you don't then the boot-licking toadies of riders who got dropped will accuse you of being a loser.

Hope that clears stuff up. Now if you'll excuse me Lance and I have a pie eating contest to compete in.

B>CThe only pie you will be eating is humble pie come July. In the meantime I will be eating lots of pie the non calorie type. C-Ya

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
Graham Watson is adding more fuel to the fire via his twitter:

"To answer some pointed questions: Lance came here to train and did just that; Alberto came here to win and lost - hope that clears stuff up."

http://twitter.com/grahamwatson10/statuses/11204699846

How much further can his head go up there:rolleyes: you know where i'm talking about

This is a testament to the corruption that follows powerful people, regardless of who they are and whether or not you are 'on board' with their agenda.

My point is that guys like Watson, Ligett, Roll, Sherwen, Bruyneel etc have seen their salaries go up by probably magnitude of 5 to 10 times, not to mention that they have achieved a much higher degree of fame/celebrity which, like it or not, is a payment in itself. They THINK they are being objective, in their own minds, but from the outside, it's just a pathetic spectacle that turns our stomachs. They are insulated from reality, the man whose boots they lick is even more insulated. Some of them still fancy themselves disinterested parties. But how can they be considered that? They have a huge personal benefit in his success.

At the Crit Int'l LA lost 5 mins on stage 1 and 19 seconds on a TT of less than 8 km. That's 4.5 miles here in Uh-merr-ica. (BTW, has anyone talked about how lame it was to be shepherded to the finish of stage 1 by THREE or FOUR teammates. Made even more ridiculous that not one of them dared cross the finish ahead of him.)

That's not a bad day. That's downright embarrassing.

The question is, will LA pull it together enough to even bother showing up at the TDF? 3 months and a handful of days is a cause for alarm, imo.

I think it is interesting that they evidently have not considered the long term damage they are doing to their credibility. This goes not only for the individuals but also for channels like Versus. I rarely listen to Ligget and Sherwin anymore. I mute the sound. Despite the video quality, I often think the coverage from illegal feeds is usually more satisfying; it has fewer commercials for one thing.

BroDeal said:
I think it is interesting that they evidently have not considered the long term damage they are doing to their credibility. This goes not only for the individuals but also for channels like Versus. I rarely listen to Ligget and Sherwin anymore. I mute the sound. Despite the video quality, I often think the coverage from illegal feeds is usually more satisfying; it has fewer commercials for one thing.

all the Versus crew & LA's PR entourage are killing the sport in the USA & they want to bury it with his final chapter. It wouldn't surprise me if Ligget retires next year too-and believe me- He won't be missed

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
It is really getting a bit out of hand, they are taking notes from the Fox new's school of journalism.
G. Watson is showing what an asshat he is. Suprising for people who have been around the sport for so long to have become so biased. Sad really.
As for Bob Roll what was a bit of a joke has become more than a laughing mater. He really needs a slap.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
alberto.legstrong said:
This is a testament to the corruption that follows powerful people, regardless of who they are and whether or not you are 'on board' with their agenda.

My point is that guys like Watson, Ligett, Roll, Sherwen, Bruyneel etc have seen their salaries go up by probably magnitude of 5 to 10 times, not to mention that they have achieved a much higher degree of fame/celebrity which, like it or not, is a payment in itself. They THINK they are being objective, in their own minds, but from the outside, it's just a pathetic spectacle that turns our stomachs. They are insulated from reality, the man whose boots they lick is even more insulated. Some of them still fancy themselves disinterested parties. But how can they be considered that? They have a huge personal benefit in his success.

At the Crit Int'l LA lost 5 mins on stage 1 and 19 seconds on a TT of less than 8 km. That's 4.5 miles here in Uh-merr-ica. (BTW, has anyone talked about how lame it was to be shepherded to the finish of stage 1 by THREE or FOUR teammates. Made even more ridiculous that not one of them dared cross the finish ahead of him.)

That's not a bad day. That's downright embarrassing.

The question is, will LA pull it together enough to even bother showing up at the TDF? 3 months and a handful of days is a cause for alarm, imo.

Why would Sherwen even need a salary? :rolleyes:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised Watson can take any photos at all with his head shoved so far up Armstrong's arse.

Completely agree re: Vs and the sport in the US - instead of building knowledge and support for the future, they take sides in the pathetic feud of a jealous old man. The following for the sport will collapse again post Armstrong, as it did before, but a forward facing attitude, looking towards building support for the new generation might have kept it going.

A

Anonymous

From Watson's website:

I have spent many moments of many evenings with foreign journalists and photographers this past month, and each and every one of them wants to know how well Lance is looking and racing. I tell them he looks great – well, he always looks great – and looks leaner and fitter than in 2009. I tell them he looks more like a cyclist than in 2009, and that he’s more motivated than ever to get closer to Contador in the Tour. In the past week I’ve used my latest imagery of Lance in Murcia to illustrate those beliefs. Lance transformed that modest Spanish race into a world event, racing with a steely determination but also with a wicked sense of fun. That 25% of the peloton were amateurs or semi professionals didn’t matter – he mingled with, and raced amongst them, with equal respect - and left all of them with some great memories.

I didn't realise it was a homo-erotic comedy website.

Oh Lance, you always look great, slurp, and it was so nice of you to grace those pathetic amateurs and semi-pro's with your magnificence, they were so lucky to even be near you they will remember it for the rest of their lives.... sllluuuuuuuurrrrrpppp..

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
watson is so primitive and unintelligent

watson’s statements are so pathetically overdone that not only they fly in the face of common cycling knowledge but they cant even stand the scrutiny of common sense.

“Lance came here to train and did just that; Alberto came here to win and lost..”

wait, if armstrong came here to train, how did he manage to climb 25% slower than a dozen riders on the last climb in the first stage ?

If he took it easy, that’s not training by any professional measure. he could wobble his **** anywhere in the alps w/o entering CI. watson's spit would also contradict jb’s assertions that armstrong needs race miles.

if armstrong just could not climb any faster, it would be a testament to his pathetic failure to train and his stupidity to advertise it.

no matter how one turns these Watson words, they fail a simple sanity check.

Of course unless you are a bpc or polish.:p:rolleyes::eek:

add to that watson spreading crap in previous tweets and his innocent lack of credibility becomes apparent for what it really is - a slurping subservience.

if I ever found out that someone is boosting my inherent substance by such a primitive and transparent crap, id fire them and go wash my hands.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Hibbles said:

Oh Lance, you always look great, slurp, and it was so nice of you to grace those pathetic amateurs and semi-pro's with your magnificence, they were so lucky to even be near you they will remember it for the rest of their lives.... sllluuuuuuuurrrrrpppp..

You are on great form today Hibbles! Comedy gold :cool:

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I was just reading some LA camp quotes and came by here to vent, then saw that this thread had updated. I've read the new posts, and rather than add anything, I'd like to congratulate you all for putting the truth on the Internet. I hate to use the comparison, but it's almost like some "journalists" and media are sleeper cells, going about their daily routines until called into action. I wonder if the various people like Watson, the Versus boys, etc. step up on their own or if someone is pulling strings in the background for the proper dosage of a response? The months since the last Tour de France began have been an excellent chance to play Who D You Trust? Diane Pucin of the LA Times - nope. Rupert Guinness - fanboy. New York Times? Sadly, no. Graham Watson has been a legendary photographer for years. But last year Astana paid him to write, and that's carried over to Radio Shack, so instead of being a guy taking photographs for the peloton and news agencies, he's got the steady paycheck from RS.

Like I said, congratulations on the great work, and for having the integrity to get angered in the first place. And remember, what you say here comes up in Google searches if you have the names or whatever in your posts. Cheers.

Hibbles said:
From Watson's website:

I used to like Watson's pics. While I'm sure he is still a good photographer, he's just too much of an @$$ kisser that even his pics may lose credibility.

Cor Vos FTW. :D

A

Anonymous

python said:
if armstrong just could not climb any faster, it would be a testament to his pathetic failure to train and his stupidity to advertise it.

Certainly one would agree that training on the roads by yourself is different than training in a race environment. And training in that environment is essential to work your way up to snuff come Tour time. Several Tour riders do that as well, even AC. Although AC is the exception as he can blaze his guns and still be Tour ready.

And really, how different is his Spring than in previous years? You never see him shooting for the win during this time. Then add in that he's 159 years old and he doesn't have the resilience as Contador.

People get all worked up because of all the hype that the media put on this race as an LA vs. AC showdown. Anyone who thought it really was going to be one was sadly mistaken. The real showdown will happen in July, period.

And really, who cares what Watson said. We know who's side he's on. So dismiss it and move on instead of ranting about it over and over again. (Not directed at you Python, just a general observation.)

Gee333 said:
And really, who cares what Watson said. We know who's side he's on. So dismiss it and move on instead of ranting about it over and over again. (Not directed at you Python, just a general observation.)

OMG people ranting on a discussion board?! And then people ranting about people ranting on a discussion board? Who would have ever expected such a thing to occur?!

I'm thinking Watson needs to be a little more mindful of who, besides the mavens of internet message boards, reads his sycophantic drivel.

I have to think guys like Contador, while too professional to be rattled by moronic Tweets by overweight photogs, still have long memories. "Contador came to win and lost" may be remembered long after LA retires. Mr. Watson may find that access to the top riders may not come so easily in the future.

It is unfortunate because Watson is an excellent photographer. I hope he's good at prom and wedding shoots too...