[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 25, 2010
3,371
0
0
Pieter Weening came 24th in Giro '10. Not saying he'd be an awesome GT rider but giving him a free role to chase a top 20 would at least get someone up there for them.
 
Aug 26, 2010
364
0
0
buster1 said:
I would prefer to have a rider who can push for a top 10-20 in GC as well as be a good chance to take the overalls for week long tours with a time trial eg. Van Garderen / Martin than have a group of only spriters / lead out train (Goss excluded) that can come top 3s at best in GT stages and win the occassional week long tour stage.

At least with a GC rider it will keep fans interest throughout the race including the Mountain stages where otherwise you will have no one to support.
Thats all well and good but Tony Martin is just about the only GC guy on the market and he has never ridden a good GC in a 3 week tour. The best they can do is have guys like Simon Clarke, Weening and Gerro shoot for breakaway's in the mountain stages and perhaps go for polkadot with Matty Lloyd at GT's.
 
Jul 30, 2009
1,621
0
0
daveinzambia said:
"Bannan says there's no point in looking at this group or any future signings for a headline act. Instead -

"Well the face of the team is GreenEdge and we really want to build that team structure, team ethics, rather than just base it around a couple of individuals."

Sounds like there are no 'big' name signings coming then
Yeah, to me that implies that there isn't even a rider of Goss's calibre on the way :rolleyes:
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
daveinzambia said:
"Bannan says there's no point in looking at this group or any future signings for a headline act. Instead -

"Well the face of the team is GreenEdge and we really want to build that team structure, team ethics, rather than just base it around a couple of individuals."

Sounds like there are no 'big' name signings coming then
Bad idea. You need some really big riders in your team to get results. Otherwise you'll be like one of the french teams or to a lesser extent Vacansoleil. Win a lot but win and get results in small races and not in the bigger races.
 
Oct 25, 2009
344
0
0
Andy99 said:
Yeah, to me that implies that there isn't even a rider of Goss's calibre on the way :rolleyes:
auscyclefan94 said:
Bad idea. You need some really big riders in your team to get results. Otherwise you'll be like one of the french teams or to a lesser extent Vacansoleil. Win a lot but win and get results in small races and not in the bigger races.
.... and you won't get enough points for a ProTour licence anyway.
 
Jul 7, 2011
85
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Bad idea. You need some really big riders in your team to get results. Otherwise you'll be like one of the french teams or to a lesser extent Vacansoleil. Win a lot but win and get results in small races and not in the bigger races.
how could being like vacansoleil be a badthing? with the young guys in the team they might grow better by being low key team, plus it will make it easy to sign the other top aussies next year :eek:
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
gerrans for the win said:
how could being like vacansoleil be a badthing? with the young guys in the team they might grow better by being low key team, plus it will make it easy to sign the other top aussies next year :eek:
I said to a 'lesser extent vacansoleil'. They win a lot of races but in general smaller ones. They have no big riders who can win big races. Teams need a marquee rider. They'll need Goss at least to be a solid pro team. Sky had a lot of good riders at the start and had a good 1st season even if they didn't acheive what they wanted to acheive.
 
Certainly no GC contenders for GT's amongst the confirmed GE names, or the "mooted list" but with regards to 1 week tours, that is a different issue.

Cam Meyer IS the reigning TdU champion and that is a World Tour stage race. Gerrans has won the TdU (pre WT status) & has recently won the Tour of Denmark (another week-long tour).

IF Goss signs (as has been widely mooted); then you add the winner of a 'Monument', so there is SOME credibility & palmares to the line-up. No super-power and, I'm not averse to the argument made by others regarding Pro-Conti status, but arguably as strong or stronger than the current line-ups of certain other teams vying for PT spots and/or entry to major races.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
dirkprovin said:
Certainly no GC contenders for GT's amongst the confirmed GE names, or the "mooted list" but with regards to 1 week tours, that is a different issue.

Cam Meyer IS the reigning TdU champion and that is a World Tour stage race. Gerrans has won the TdU (pre WT status) & has recently won the Tour of Denmark (another week-long tour).

IF Goss signs (as has been widely mooted); then you add the winner of a 'Monument', so there is SOME credibility & palmares to the line-up. No super-power and, I'm not averse to the argument made by others regarding Pro-Conti status, but arguably as strong or stronger than the current line-ups of certain other teams vying for PT spots and/or entry to major races.
Indeed. The race formerly won by such illustrious stage racers as Andre Greipel, Allan Davis, and Stuart O'Grady. A true marker of GT chops.
 
Jul 30, 2009
1,621
0
0
dirkprovin said:
Certainly no GC contenders for GT's amongst the confirmed GE names, or the "mooted list" but with regards to 1 week tours, that is a different issue.

Cam Meyer IS the reigning TdU champion and that is a World Tour stage race. Gerrans has won the TdU (pre WT status) & has recently won the Tour of Denmark (another week-long tour).

IF Goss signs (as has been widely mooted); then you add the winner of a 'Monument', so there is SOME credibility & palmares to the line-up. No super-power and, I'm not averse to the argument made by others regarding Pro-Conti status, but arguably as strong or stronger than the current line-ups of certain other teams vying for PT spots and/or entry to major races.
In name only.

Lets not go down this road.
 
Aug 26, 2010
364
0
0
dirkprovin said:
IF Goss signs (as has been widely mooted); then you add the winner of a 'Monument', so there is SOME credibility & palmares to the line-up. No super-power and, I'm not averse to the argument made by others regarding Pro-Conti status, but arguably as strong or stronger than the current line-ups of certain other teams vying for PT spots and/or entry to major races.
Anyone remember O'Grady winning Roubaix...? I hope he can get close to that level again. It certainly common for the old fellas to still be able to pull off a good result in a race like that. Certainly demands credibility anyway...

IMO they need tony martin just to give them someone for the stage races... I know there has been a lot of noise of him going to OPQS but with Gerry Ryan saying they are looking like they'll be shooting for around 10th - 12th spot I can't see Goss points alone getting them there. Also would fit the 'big engine' who is 'worth waiting for' billing. I have my fingers crossed however unlikely anyway
 
Jul 7, 2010
395
0
0
Sydney21 said:
Anyone remember O'Grady winning Roubaix...? I hope he can get close to that level again. It certainly common for the old fellas to still be able to pull off a good result in a race like that. Certainly demands credibility anyway...

IMO they need tony martin just to give them someone for the stage races... I know there has been a lot of noise of him going to OPQS but with Gerry Ryan saying they are looking like they'll be shooting for around 10th - 12th spot I can't see Goss points alone getting them there. Also would fit the 'big engine' who is 'worth waiting for' billing. I have my fingers crossed however unlikely anyway
Think you'd be surprised. With Milan San Remo, Tour Down Under (it's World Tour, rightly or wrongly, so carries decent points for the GC), and Gerro in there, they should have a decent number of points.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
Ron Reed has confirmed that Matt Wilson and Baden Cooke are going to GreenEdge and a story on that will be in the Herald Sun tommorow.

dirkprovin said:
Certainly no GC contenders for GT's amongst the confirmed GE names, or the "mooted list" but with regards to 1 week tours, that is a different issue.

Cam Meyer IS the reigning TdU champion and that is a World Tour stage race. Gerrans has won the TdU (pre WT status) & has recently won the Tour of Denmark (another week-long tour).

IF Goss signs (as has been widely mooted); then you add the winner of a 'Monument', so there is SOME credibility & palmares to the line-up. No super-power and, I'm not averse to the argument made by others regarding Pro-Conti status, but arguably as strong or stronger than the current line-ups of certain other teams vying for PT spots and/or entry to major races.
Points wise they are fine but just because they have massive amounts of points from the tdu doesn't make thema good team. Cam Meyer is not a stage racer (at least not yet) and nor is Gerrans. The team lacks depth imo and will struggle throughout the season.
 
Aug 26, 2010
364
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Ron Reed has confirmed that Matt Wilson and Baden Cooke are going to GreenEdge and a story on that will be in the Herald Sun tommorow.

Points wise they are fine but just because they have massive amounts of points from the tdu doesn't make thema good team. Cam Meyer is not a stage racer (at least not yet) and nor is Gerrans. The team lacks depth imo and will struggle throughout the season.
What are you talking about their depth is fine... its the abscence of a leader that is their problem. I mean atm they are effectively a just a worse version of HTC but honestly who cares its their first year. If they go about it with the right attitude and just get on the attack in their first year they will do fine... They will likely get a licence for 2 or 3 years anyway wont they? I dont really get the system though...

If they just bring in a Haussler or a Rogers type rider or two next year or a strong international leader they will be fine. Its not about being super competative in the first year anyway but they would like to be competative and visable across the calender. Its about having a foundation to build on.
 
May 25, 2010
3,371
0
0
Darren Lapthorne too if you believe twitter. Gosh he's been around Aussie Conti teams forever. Didn't he retire after Pegasus collapse too, only a month later accepting a place back at Drapac?
 
Sep 27, 2009
1,008
0
0
tuarts said:
darren lapthorne too if you believe twitter. Gosh he's been around aussie conti teams forever. Didn't he retire after pegasus collapse too, only a month later accepting a place back at drapac?
Why? Why? Why?
 
Matt Wilson & Baden Cooke eh ? Would frankly only take one of them ..... and it ain't Cooke. Has done 3 parts of diddly squat in recent years and as "workers" go, they've already got plenty WITH experience who'll do the job better.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY