• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

[Green Edge] Shayne Bannan, Gerry Ryan and an Aussie Pro Team for 2012?

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Andy99 said:
Quote from Beppu; "I'm honoured to be part of this team, which has been 20 years in the making by the best in Australian cycling."

Serious? It all looks as though it's been pretty much thrown together last minute. :eek:

It certainly has not been thrown together at the last minute, you could not get that many sprinters together in one team without careful planning.

luckyboy said:
I would say that calling them sprint/cobbles team is a little kind. They have a couple of second-rate guys for the cobbles.

Well, that has more to do with their declared signing tactic than anything. Those are the things they are signing riders specifically for and we'll have to see how successful they end up being in the cobbles.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
I would say that calling them sprint/cobbles team is a little kind. They have a couple of second-rate guys for the cobbles.

Only wondered about this today - anyone know why its called GreenEdge? Is there some meaning behind it?

I think you could cobble together a team better than anyone except maybe Garmin and BMC with these guys for coblled classics. Same sort of level as OQS, Sky and Rabo will field imo. Obviously the one man Leopard will be hard to beat too but their team will be weak.

O'Grady
Langeveld
Vaitkus
Cooke
Docker
Goss
Wilson
Keulikerke
Beppu
Lancaster

Sydney21 said:
I think you could cobble together a team better than anyone except maybe Garmin and BMC with these guys for coblled classics. Same sort of level as OQS, Sky and Rabo will field imo. Obviously the one man Leopard will be hard to beat too but their team will be weak.

O'Grady
Langeveld
Vaitkus
Cooke
Docker
Goss
Wilson
Keulikerke
Beppu
Lancaster

No way is that team better than what OQS, Sky and Rabo can field. It doesn't suck but it's not as good as those you listed.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
For all this hype and saturation; I've been gone 2 days and the last 4 pages have read like constant GE-bashing.

Kettle, meet pot. :rolleyes:

PCutter said:
Connecting GE's chances to the Pegasus disaster is nonsense. Or should Sky have been knocked back because Linda McCartney fell over? Would make just as much sense.

You've read nothing on the matter, haven't you?

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Tuarts said:
You've read nothing on the matter, haven't you?

First of all, the comment was in the context of TSF suggesting that GE was as shakey an operation as Pegasus, so you've missed the point.

Second. Just because Tomalaris says Cycling Australia's guys were in the UCI's ear, doesn't mean they are at fault for Pegasus losing its sponsor, or having a clown run the team. Pegasus were never getting PT status because they didn't deserve it; their line-up wasn't strong enough, their funding wasn't in place, and their admin was a shambles, not because Cycling Australia told the UCI not to give it to them.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
PCutter said:
First of all, the comment was in the context of TSF suggesting that GE was as shakey an operation as Pegasus, so you've missed the point.

Second. Just because Tomalaris says Cycling Australia's guys were in the UCI's ear, doesn't mean they are at fault for Pegasus losing its sponsor, or having a clown run the team. Pegasus were never getting PT status because they didn't deserve it; their line-up wasn't strong enough, their funding wasn't in place, and their admin was a shambles, not because Cycling Australia told the UCI not to give it to them.
Yes, like I said, read nothing on the matter. You brought up Tomalaris.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Andy99 said:
No idea.

Here's a sponsor which is a good fit though;

castrol_edge_31694656_std.jpg

puWG4I14r7-m.jpg

He would make great PR for the team.

Sydney21 said:

O'Grady
Langeveld
Vaitkus
Cooke
Docker
Goss
Wilson
Keulikerke
Beppu
Lancaster

I think it looks like a decent team of cobbled domestiques without a leader.

A

Anonymous

PCutter said:
First of all, the comment was in the context of TSF suggesting that GE was as shakey an operation as Pegasus, so you've missed the point. .

I did not suggest that, or imply it in any way. Thank you.

What i said was, after the pegasus situation, where they had no sponsor, after the astana sponsor situation where apparently riders werent getting paid, and after the leopard situation where they had no sponsor and ended up taking another teams sponsor, that the auditors, deloitte, may not take such a relaxed attitude with privately funded teams as they had in the past.

I nowhere suggested that GE was a shakey operation like Pegasus.

You have either misunderstood what I was saying (and were the only one who misunderstood) or you have deliberately mis read.

TeamSkyFans said:
I did not suggest that, or imply it in any way. Thank you.

What i said was, after the pegasus situation, where they had no sponsor, after the astana sponsor situation where apparently riders werent getting paid, and after the leopard situation where they had no sponsor and ended up taking another teams sponsor, that the auditors, deloitte, may not take such a relaxed attitude with privately funded teams as they had in the past.

I nowhere suggested that GE was a shakey operation like Pegasus.

You have either misunderstood what I was saying (and were the only one who misunderstood) or you have deliberately mis read.

Pegasus did have a sponsor, who pulled out, thus why they weren't awarded a license.

If it was privately funded it would be up and running.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Pegasus did have a sponsor, who pulled out, thus why they weren't awarded a license.

If it was privately funded it would be up and running.

Yeah, but wasn't the sponsor conditional on the achievement of WT status? Surely this, in itself would be seen almost as blackmail by the auditors..?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
wonder what Cadel Evans and BMC have to say about Greenedge using his image in their promo video's

They've been on the case for 20 years, so surely they have covered all potential outcomes. ;)

A

Anonymous

luckyboy said:
That video says 'Uploaded by 618PRODUCTIONS1 on 3 Mar 2011'

It was uploaded 7 months ago and mentions riders who have now joined the team, but were racing with other teams then. Isn't that a bit fishy/weird?

that is extremely fishy

which brings up this blog from january
http://t.co/TQ8a4LO1

Andy99 said:
Yeah, but wasn't the sponsor conditional on the achievement of WT status? Surely this, in itself would be seen almost as blackmail by the auditors..?

No, the sponsor pulled out long before the license was due. They were not awarded World Tour or PCT status because they had no sponsor/money, not the other way.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
ingsve said:
No way is that team better than what OQS, Sky and Rabo can field. It doesn't suck but it's not as good as those you listed.

Not trying to prove a point here just having a look at how Greenedge would stack up against these teams. I think Boonan aside, I'd back Langeveld to be able to match Flecha, Breschel, EBH or Tjalingi. If Langeveld can improve on top 5'ing in a monument and winning a classic which is what he did last year I don't see GE as a particularly Leaderless team. OPQ I agree are better because of Boonen - I'm not sure Chanvenel will be able to match his form in Flanders last year again. will be interesting to see how GE fare nonetheless. Teams might look a bit like this.

Rabo
Boom
Breschel
Flens
Leezer
Matthews
Tjallingi
Tankink
Wynants

OPQ
Boonen
Stybar
Chavenel
Ciolek
Terpstra
Steegmans
Maes
Brammier

Sky
Flecha
Thomas
EBH
Stannard
Sutton
Puccio
Hunt
Hayman
(Eisel?)

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
No, the sponsor pulled out long before the license was due. They were not awarded World Tour or PCT status because they had no sponsor/money, not the other way.

Ah ok, fair dinkum. I didn't know the full story..

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Sydney21 said:
Not trying to prove a point here just having a look at how Greenedge would stack up against these teams. I think Boonan aside, I'd back Langeveld to be able to match Flecha, Breschel, EBH or Tjalingi. If Langeveld can improve on top 5'ing in a monument and winning a classic which is what he did last year I don't see GE as a particularly Leaderless team. OPQ I agree are better because of Boonen - I'm not sure Chanvenel will be able to match his form in Flanders last year again. will be interesting to see how GE fare nonetheless. Teams might look a bit like this.

OPQ
Boonen
Stybar
Chavenel
Ciolek
Terpstra
Steegmans
Maes
Brammier

Lol @Brammeier. I'd say they have some better alternatives for those races.

TRENDING THREADS