• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hamilton the Songbird

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Juxtaposed with all this pessimism regarding the possibility of stopping doping is the remarkable success France has had in cracking down on doping by their own athletes.

well, in relation to cycling I think that could be attributed to their having reached their "nadir" quite a while ago with Festina and Virenque etc...and quite possibly, the subsequent criminal sanctions that were brought in and that future transgressors could face.

I don't personally think that all French or French based athletes are clean as a result though

Interesting background reading on french doping attitudes in cycling here....and i promise Alpe....it is clean ;)

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Juxtaposed with all this pessimism regarding the possibility of stopping doping is the remarkable success France has had in cracking down on doping by their own athletes.

It is a bogus Myth that Frenchmen are cleaner than Spanishmen, Swissmen, Italianmen, Americanmen, Britishmen, Aussiemen, etc blah blah blah.

Bernard says they are all dirty grrrr.

Heck, one of the few young riders busted this year for using/dealing EPO was a Frenchman riding for Legendary Cyrille Guimard's French Continental team Roubaix-Lille-Métropole.

"a controversy was made public as the AFLD wasn't supposed to conduct tests in French professional bike races. French cycling federation president David Lappartient criticised the initiative since the UCI is the only governing body entitled to test pro cyclists on French soil this year. "This is illegal," Lappartient said."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/larpe-positive-for-epo

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Lance Armstrong info draws incentives? Wow that would be sweet. Now I will be able to watch Tyler Hamilton race in the Sea Otter. Fresh and clean as a new babys' bottom. Tyler drops a dime on Lance/Bruyneel/USPS/Tailwind sports and T. man will get to ride in Monterey County races free and clear. You go girl Tyler.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
LKing25 said:
Ullrich from all accounts doesnt give a toss and who can blame him he has made his money and is under no illusion that his success was gained riding against other doped individuals. The sad thing is that if everybody was clean Ullrich would probably have won 8 or 9 TDF.

Im A BIG fan of Jan but if every one was clean I don't think any of the results would be differant (maybe 03 tour) he was awsome in that one.best rider in the last 12years least perpared.Just my own thourgts.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Lance Armstrong info draws incentives? Wow that would be sweet. Now I will be able to watch Tyler Hamilton race in the Sea Otter. Fresh and clean as a new babys' bottom. Tyler drops a dime on Lance/Bruyneel/USPS/Tailwind sports and T. man will get to ride in Monterey County races free and clear. You go girl Tyler.

C'mon Flicka. His current ban is what it is and it appears to be lifetime. His coming clean will only mean he keeps the Greek gold on the mantle and clutches to his fragile self image. He won't be riding any races with a USA Cycling insurance policy.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
C'mon Flicka. His current ban is what it is and it appears to be lifetime. His coming clean will only mean he keeps the Greek gold on the mantle and clutches to his fragile self image. He won't be riding any races with a USA Cycling insurance policy.

It would be sweet to see Tyler race again. I have always enjoyed his racing style. In 7 years he will probably be mtn. biking it somewhere.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Say what you want ???

Hello All,
Say what you want about LA, but until you show me the proof that he cheated he hasn't, its that simple. Show me another cyclist who been tested more than LA, nobody period. Tyler can say all he wants but you need more than the word from a person who, used LA to launch his own solo attempt to become the man, crashed and burned at LA feet in furture TDF's. Tyler gains nothing by saying anything, other than the USPS line we didn't dope. He won't say anything else either. Nobody will say anything they will lose any and all respect from thier fans and fellow cyclist alike. Its a good thought but will never happen.
I think people started to turn against him when he focused all his effort on one race. People didn't like him winning the tour and not placing any effort towards any other race, using them to train for the TDF. Its an American thing, win the superbowl, world series, or world cup and you are concidered the best at your given sport.

Chuck

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Chuck my friend.

Nice first post - but this isn't the USA Today comment section.

The debate has moved on from "Did LA use PED's?" to "did LA commit any crimes worthy of prosecution" - That first question is not credible anymore...

In case you don't read these sleepy cycling publications here are some links The Wall Street Journal and Forbes:
http://online.wsj.com/article/NA_WSJ_PUB:SB10001424052748704700404575391591145915552.html

http://blogs.forbes.com/digitalrules/2010/07/lance-armstrongs-tragedy/

This thread is also quite good:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=8785

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
uspostal said:
Hello All,
Say what you want about LA, but until you show me the proof that he cheated he hasn't, its that simple. Show me another cyclist who been tested more than LA, nobody period. Tyler can say all he wants but you need more than the word from a person who, used LA to launch his own solo attempt to become the man, crashed and burned at LA feet in furture TDF's. Tyler gains nothing by saying anything, other than the USPS line we didn't dope. He won't say anything else either. Nobody will say anything they will lose any and all respect from thier fans and fellow cyclist alike. Its a good thought but will never happen.
I think people started to turn against him when he focused all his effort on one race. People didn't like him winning the tour and not placing any effort towards any other race, using them to train for the TDF. Its an American thing, win the superbowl, world series, or world cup and you are concidered the best at your given sport.

Chuck

For people who are desperate to believe there will never be any proof.

I'll show you plenty of cyclists who were tested way more than Lance. The more you race, and the more you win = the more you are tested. Thus sprinters and guys who were on the job from Feb - October racked up more tests than those who "peak" for the one event.

In any case, the tests failed to catch numerous admitted and proven dopers, and also Lance actually tested positive for EPO in a research sample that his buddies at the UCI had to bend the rules to clear him.

and Tyler doesn't have any respect left from fans or fellow cyclists left to lose.

Your post is an epic fail. But try to dig a little deeper, and remember that some of the guys posting here are current or ex high level racers, or guys with a long history in the cycling scene, rather than newbies or "July" fans.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
uspostal said:
Hello All,

Chuck

Please be quiet about Jim Ochs. prostitute!

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Well its good to see that Floyd has to believers in his camp, I can never have any faith in a person who was innocent up until he stood to profit more from saying I did and so did X, Y and Z also. In America we will forgive anybody for just about anything so he should have said I'm guilty upfront and all would have been forgiven. I've read the inuendos about all the stuff of who said who did what, and thats all it is somebody said that somebody said. SHOW me the fact, not who said what, until then don't talk about what Floyd said he did, the gospel according to Floyd doesn't have many believable pages in it as a matter of FACT it has non. I think the research sample was just positive for the 1st half and not the second, I could be wrong but it was only half.
I guess I could be wrong and just take the words of people who said that LA did it. I guess asking for some proof is beyond all reasonable thought of people. I guess that just because somebody rode in the TDF makes him unfallable and not to be questioned. Sorry for such breach of manners in not taking the he said, she said as proof. I guess that riding a bike makes up for the lack of proof or a posative test, god how stupid of me. Please forgive my lack of knowage in the ways of this forum. I'm truely humbled by your proof, so I guess if I ride a bike and said that rider X uses EPO he's guilty its all so clear now.

Chuck

4687653056_7c1502ca7f.jpg

Pegged, and bending the needle...

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
uspostal said:
...I'm truely humbled by your proof, so I guess if I ride a bike and said that rider X uses EPO he's guilty its all so clear now.

Chuck

Chuckles,

Clearly this is NOT the place to rant silly, brainwashed, commentary to the passionate cycling readership found here. Try convincing Teenbeat or the Backyardigans fanbase.

Bye bye.

NW

May 25, 2009
Visit site
uspostal said:
Well its good to see that Floyd has to believers in his camp, I can never have any faith in a person who was innocent up until he stood to profit more from saying I did and so did X, Y and Z also. In America we will forgive anybody for just about anything so he should have said I'm guilty upfront and all would have been forgiven. I've read the inuendos about all the stuff of who said who did what, and thats all it is somebody said that somebody said. SHOW me the fact, not who said what, until then don't talk about what Floyd said he did, the gospel according to Floyd doesn't have many believable pages in it as a matter of FACT it has non. I think the research sample was just positive for the 1st half and not the second, I could be wrong but it was only half.
I guess I could be wrong and just take the words of people who said that LA did it. I guess asking for some proof is beyond all reasonable thought of people. I guess that just because somebody rode in the TDF makes him unfallable and not to be questioned. Sorry for such breach of manners in not taking the he said, she said as proof. I guess that riding a bike makes up for the lack of proof or a posative test, god how stupid of me. Please forgive my lack of knowage in the ways of this forum. I'm truely humbled by your proof, so I guess if I ride a bike and said that rider X uses EPO he's guilty its all so clear now.

Chuck

Chuck,

My apologies for making light of your newness to the forum. You are totally 100% welcome here.

My point was the Wall Street Journal (and Forbes for that matter) have high journalistic standards - if the WSJ is going to publish a highly contraversial figure and up-to-now a national hero - they are not just going to take Floyd Landis's opinion at face value. In fact for an article of this magnitude they are required to get at least two other corroborating accounts. It's not a "he said, she said" situation. If you are interested in this topic please take 10 mins to read the links I posted.

Happy riding.

Nik

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
uspostal said:
we will forgive anybody for just about anything so he should have said I'm guilty upfront and all would have been forgiven.
Chuck

All the pro cyclists who have admitted doping right after testing positive were disgraced, and effectively blacklisted from the sport, permanently. Their "clean" colleagues never forgave them, and there are disturbing signs that the UCI might have had some influence in ensuring that such "whistle blowers" were never hired again by a professional team. Google a guy called "Jorg Jaksche" if you want to know more. He never tested positive, y'know....

Ask Bernard Kohl and Sebastian Frei how their immediate confession worked out. Bernard works in a bike shop, and last i heard Frei was lying on the beach in Martinique while volunteering as team mechanic for a Dutch club team.

Today guys who confess it all upon getting caught actually retire immediately, knowing full well they'll never race again.

Guys who deny it for ever will be welcomed back. (eg. Vino)

Guys who deny at first, then make partial confessions along the lines of "I did it a few times, when i was not training hard enough, my wins were clean / I was only thinking about doping / i learned my lesson and will never dope again / its possible to win clean!" etc will get rehired by a top team without any difficulty. (eg. Millar, Thomas Dekker, Ivan Basso)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
Chuck,

My apologies for making light of your newness to the forum. You are totally 100% welcome here.

My point was the Wall Street Journal (and Forbes for that matter) have high journalistic standards - if the WSJ is going to publish a highly contraversial figure and up-to-now a national hero - they are not just going to take Floyd Landis's opinion at face value. In fact for an article of this magnitude they are required to get at least two other corroborating accounts. It's not a "he said, she said" situation. If you are interested in this topic please take 10 mins to read the links I posted.

Happy riding.

Nik

Thanks for the welcome oldschoolnik,

I've read the articles that you have suggested. The WSJ said that the company SCA promotions inc was sued by LA and Tailwinds for non-payment of a 5 million dollar bonus, that was to be paid if LA won the TDF. The case was settled in the amount of 7.5 million. The SCA file includes NO eyewitness on said doping, it contains 3 cases of he said , she said as to what may have been said by LA about using EPO. I'm not saying everybody is wrong, I'm saying prove that he is doping.

The Forbes article starts out by using the word tragedy in the number 2 spot, he seems to justify that with the phrase " age of rampant doping and sloppy testing standards." As the article goes on to state that the 2 positives were explained by a saddle sore cream, and a test that had no B postive test or any controlled researsh as to what or if a false positive could result from freezing to begin with. He then procedes to start the 5% number that people now perform less than cylcist did in LA days. He then states that "It is true when Lance’s supporters call him a once-in-a-generation athlete, gifted with an oversized heart and an odd ability to produce little lactic acid" I'm not suer how all this adds up given a persons drive after facing death and winning so its not that proof of giult.

The last is a post of mostly he said, he said, and more he said. So Yes I've give then all a good look and don't see the smoking gun.

Chuck

P.S.
Sorry for the remark about Hitler just got a little over zelous

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Chuck, what proof would satisfy you?

There isn't going to be a videotape of him getting a transfusion. And as has been discussed over and over, there is no test that turns up a "positive" when you are transfusing your own blood (notwithstanding the biopassport parameters, which have only been used for sanctions within the last two years). Until this year, there has been no test for HGH. There was no test for epo until 2001, and as Landis and Thomas Frei have indicated, the epo test is beaten with micro-dosing and hydration.

What we have is at least one purported eyewitness (Landis), with more probably to come. We have blood values from last years Tour that raised suspicions of manipulation. We have the fact he was working with a notorious doping doctor (Ferrari) during his heyday. We have three former teammates who have confessed to their own usage (Andreu, Swart, Landis). We have the fact that virtually everyone to stand on the podium with Lance from '99 to '05 was busted or driven out of the sport. We have positives from the '99 re-tests.

What would be the tipping point for you?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Kennf1 said:
Chuck, what proof would satisfy you?

There isn't going to be a videotape of him getting a transfusion. And as has been discussed over and over, there is no test that turns up a "positive" when you are transfusing your own blood (notwithstanding the biopassport parameters, which have only been used for sanctions within the last two years). Until this year, there has been no test for HGH. There was no test for epo until 2001, and as Landis and Thomas Frei have indicated, the epo test is beaten with micro-dosing and hydration.

What we have is at least one purported eyewitness (Landis), with more probably to come. We have blood values from last years Tour that raised suspicions of manipulation. We have the fact he was working with a notorious doping doctor (Ferrari) during his heyday. We have three former teammates who have confessed to their own usage (Andreu, Swart, Landis). We have the fact that virtually everyone to stand on the podium with Lance from '99 to '05 was busted or driven out of the sport. We have positives from the '99 re-tests.

What would be the tipping point for you?

Fortunately we don't have to prove the points if the investigation is thorough:

Scope could be far-reaching with Interpol involved
The New York Times has reported that Federal authorities are issuing grand jury subpoenas to witnesses in the case involving Floyd Landis's claims of systematic doping and knowledge of doping practices leveled at seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong and several other cyclists and key figures in the sport.

The paper reports that several individuals briefed on the case revealed the information, but did so on the condition of anonymity so they would not be known to have discussed the federal investigation.

The grand jury subpoenas are seen as the next big step in moving forward with the investigation, and demonstrate just how seriously Landis's allegations are being taken.

Landis originally communicated with the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), USA Cycling and the UCI, and provided details of what he described as systematic doping practices in the US Postal Service Team where he was a teammate of Armstrong. He admitted doping for much of his career after years of denial, and also pointed the finger at former teammates and management, and extended the allegations to his former Phonak team.

Most of the public statements released by the accused categorically deny Landis's statements, and believe that their accuser has no credibility. However, the Garmin-Transitions team, where former US Postal riders David Zabriskie and Matthew White are employed, have only said that they encourage that the truth be told, whatever the truth may be.

The claims were immediately dismissed by the UCI, but the USADA and WADA took the allegations more seriously, and it has since snowballed into to a federal investigation led by Food and Drug Administration (FDA) special agent Jeff Novitzky. He previously worked on the BALCO case, which led to the imprisonment of track and field sprinter Marion Jones.

Late last month the World Anti-Doping Agency's director general David Howman said that he believed the Landis allegations have weight and will eventually yield results.

“I think we are very optimistic that this inquiry will be a fruitful one,” admitted Howman to the New York Times. “But this is going to take some time because we’re not really talking about a simple antidoping case here. Remember the BALCO case, how long that took? Well, we could be still talking about this one in 2016.”

Howman said last week that the accusations have now led to an inquiry which involves Interpol, and has led to co-operation with European anti-doping organisations.

“This investigation has been going on for many weeks and I think it is a significant inquiry,” he told AFP. “And it's one that might go on for many more weeks because it essentially started with a US inquiry and is spreading,” he explained.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4...tion-seen-as-next-big-step.aspx#ixzz0vg7J07hV

This arguably goes in the Floyd thread, but it's mostly in response to Chuck's note, and retorts, so here goes.

One thing I don't quite get is the path of logic that people who believe Floyd is lying take.

It makes no sense to me to claim that he was telling the truth before when claiming he was not doping, but then state that he's lying now when admitting to doping pretty much throughout his professional career. Floyd also pointed out he wanted to confess before the statute of limitations was up. If you were setting out to lie, why would you do that?

The answer I in a sense hear, is that he must have done it in order to give weight to his accusations about Armstrong doping too. But this doesn't make sense to me either. I wonder why he would want to take Armstrong down? Their answer is that he has an axe to grind about not being allowed into the Tour of California. But this makes little sense either, as he by far made himself look like an egregious cheater in the past, not Lance. And there's nothing in any of the e-mails RS released that show Floyd to be bitter about Lance. He seemed quite civil. So to state that he had an axe to grind is really reading between the lines and giving a very free interpretation.

But this brings up another issue. Why is it that Floyd, Betsy Andreu, Mike Anderson, Steven Swart, Emma O'Reilly, Greg and Kathy LeMond, and anyone else who made similar statements or actions all have an axe to grind with Lance and hate him? This is a list of "haters" that no other champion in the history of sports that I can think of has turn against them, so to speak.

If anyone from Tyler Hamilton to Jonathan Vaughters, to a lowly mechanic or soigner testify that Lance doped, will that mean they are bitter haters with a hidden axe to grind as well?

The other aspect that puzzles me is that Lance was only one name that Floyd brought up. Sure, the biggest name, but Floyd laid his blame across the spectrum. He claimed widespread doping across cycling, from the UCI, Hein Verbruggen, Johan Bruyneel, Alan Lim, Andy Rihs, and a long list of other people. Why would he do that? I guess the Lance supporters believe he must have created this lie too, in order to give some sort of weight to his lie in his efforts to destroy Lance.

But to me, that makes no sense. What makes more sense, is that he's telling the truth. He may not accurately remember every detail, but the most logical conclusion is that 99% of what he's saying is truthful.

But I can even make this assertion, and Lance supporters will then state that Lance is innocent until proven guilty, or never tested positive. Or simply that I'm a hater too, regardless of what else I have ever stated about cycling or Lance.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
uspostal said:

Chuck

Sorry to be rude, but why is that you, like most of LA's defenders these days, can't even write coherent sentences? Gosh, unemployment is high, so I would think Public Strategies could get better help, even for minimum wage.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
During grand jury testimonies individuals are alone in a court room with prosecutors, up to 23 grand jurors, and a court reporter. That's it. There will be no judge there, the individual's attorney cannot be present and has to wait outside. By federal law the jurors, prosecutors and court reporter cannot even acknowledge that such a hearing even took place until an indictment has been disclosed, or the case has been dismissed.

Thanks for this from those of us who are not familiar with the US Justice system. I didn't realize that the witness could not have counsel present.

flicker said:
This is what I would do. Get with the anti-doping agencies say in 3 major sports.Cycling could be one Soccer another and NFL. Test the athletes. Those who test positive have a choice. ...

Flicker, are you really still stuck on evidence of doping being a positive test?

@ Chuck - the standard for conviction in criminal courts is beyond reasonable doubt, or what a reasonable person would believe having considered all of the facts/evidence. Waiting for 100% irrefutable proof is not realistic. The evidence at hand suggests that Armstrong doped, I would say that it is established on balance of probabilities; the evidence yet to come may well meet the standard of beyond reasonable doubt.