• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 124 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
4th overall in the World Tour rankings, too, for what that's worth.

I've never met him, but he seems like more than just the consummate professional - he seems to genuinely enjoy racing. I liked the fact that he never stabbed Quintana in the back this year, either. Good balance, going for his own trophies but also at least giving the appearance of supporting his teammate.

Did he ever explain what happened in Rio? I don't recall. Was he just on a bad day, or already fatigued from the Tour?

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
joe_papp said:
4th overall in the World Tour rankings, too, for what that's worth.

I've never met him, but he seems like more than just the consummate professional - he seems to genuinely enjoy racing. I liked the fact that he never stabbed Quintana in the back this year, either. Good balance, going for his own trophies but also at least giving the appearance of supporting his teammate.

Did he ever explain what happened in Rio? I don't recall. Was he just on a bad day, or already fatigued from the Tour?

In Rio he explained he had an off day and so he rode in support of Rodriguez to position him for the final climb.

Although it's great to see him race all year rode , I think he should race less and target specific events in order to achieve more wins. He will be 37 next year so possibly a lighter race schedule would suit him better. It would be great to see him win the Amstel Gold Race and Il Lombardia before he calls it quits.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Bala back to his old schedule, according to him. If he hits peak form we should expect one more good Ardennes campaigne, Tour is also good for him, it's going to be interesting how Movistar will approach the race, will Quintana do the double... In Vuelta he should be very good, given the fact that he is usually better in his 2nd GT. He could be contender in WC also, it's not tailor-made for him, but he could do well. I just really hope that he'll try De Ronde, it would be interesting

Valverde will easily be able to top-5 in TdF with his old schedule and all the riders (I assume) who are racing Il Giro. The closest to real hard mountain stage is the one to Chevalier and its not overly hard.

However, the biggest goal should be to win another Liege. A 4th Flèche in a row would't be too bad either. ;) I don't know about De Ronde, he can't win it, so I wouldn't bother too much. With Izagirre out and Quintana maybe racing Il Giro, Pais Vasco should be another season goal. I still can't believe he hasn't won that yet.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Valverde will easily be able to top-5 in TdF with his old schedule and all the riders (I assume) who are racing Il Giro. The closest to real hard mountain stage is the one to Chevalier and its not overly hard.

However, the biggest goal should be to win another Liege. A 4th Flèche in a row would't be too bad either. ;) I don't know about De Ronde, he can't win it, so I wouldn't bother too much. With Izagirre out and Quintana maybe racing Il Giro, Pais Vasco should be another season goal. I still can't believe he hasn't won that yet.
He won't win because bertie will be there

Re:

Mr.White said:
Bala back to his old schedule, according to him. If he hits peak form we should expect one more good Ardennes campaigne, Tour is also good for him, it's going to be interesting how Movistar will approach the race, will Quintana do the double... In Vuelta he should be very good, given the fact that he is usually better in his 2nd GT. He could be contender in WC also, it's not tailor-made for him, but he could do well. I just really hope that he'll try De Ronde, it would be interesting
Says the races he still wants to win the most are Amstel, Lombardia and ofcourse the Worlds

I don't think that that wil make a huge difference. Valverde is always in nearly the same good shape. In the pre-season he has the same shape (Andalucia etc.) as in LBL. I think he can't change a lot about that. The only thing he can maybe do is skip the Tour and go for the win in the Vuelta.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Another praise for Bala from fellow cycling great. Davide Rebellin, Subiendo Puertos interview: El corredor que mas me ha impresionado es Alejandro Valverde. Solo tengo una palabra para el, es ADMIRABLE.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Asero831 said:
Will he ride Strade Bianche ?
Think Movistar said he was doing Paris-Nice instead this year. Kind of a shame, but the renewed focus on stage races early on suggests he might have something big planned for the Ardennes or later in the year.

I think he'll do both

Mr.White said:
DFA123 said:
Asero831 said:
Will he ride Strade Bianche ?
Think Movistar said he was doing Paris-Nice instead this year. Kind of a shame, but the renewed focus on stage races early on suggests he might have something big planned for the Ardennes or later in the year.

I think he'll do both
Think that would be a mistake. There is literally about 18 hours between the end of Strade Bianche and the start of Paris-Nice. To compete at the sharp end of SB, do all post race and doping controls, get to an airport, fly 1200km, get to a hotel in Paris, a good nights sleep and be immediately ready for a week long stage race is a tough ask and seems a bit unnecessary in early March, even for a rider like Valverde. Can't imagine he'll win Paris-Nice with a hard classic in his legs.

El Pistolero said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Once again showing that he's one of the most agressive riders in the peloton. Chapeau!

Except in the races that truly matter, he sits in someone else's wheel all day then.
It's almost as if he chooses the best tactic depending on the field and particular race. Struggling to recall many hilly classics won recently with a 70km solo break. Aggressive doesn't mean suicidal.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

DFA123 said:
El Pistolero said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Once again showing that he's one of the most agressive riders in the peloton. Chapeau!

Except in the races that truly matter, he sits in someone else's wheel all day then.
It's almost as if he chooses the best tactic depending on the field and particular race. Struggling to recall many hilly classics won recently with a 70km solo break. Aggressive doesn't mean suicidal.

His tactics in those hilly classics have often made him lose actually. The only hilly race he keeps winning is the one where tactics don't play any role (and it is therefor the least prestigious one by far).

Anyway, the best hilly riders don't ride LBL or aren't in top shape then (Sagan, Van Avermaet and Nibali). ;)

El Pistolero said:
DFA123 said:
El Pistolero said:
Hugo Koblet said:

His tactics in those hilly classics have often made him lose actually. The only hilly race he keeps winning is the one where tactics don't play any role (and it is therefor the least prestigious one by far).

Anyway, the best hilly riders don't ride LBL or aren't in top shape then (Sagan, Van Avermaet and Nibali). ;)
It's early february; it's going to be a long old year if you're starting this already.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

DFA123 said:
El Pistolero said:
DFA123 said:
El Pistolero said:
Hugo Koblet said:

It's early february; it's going to be a long old year if you're starting this already.

Merely stating facts.

Look at how Nibali won Lombardia or how Van Avermaet won the Olympic road race if you want to see aggressive racing paying off in hilly races.

TRENDING THREADS