• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 102 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Lets chill with all the talk about Valverde holding on to his podium. He might have said something that could indicate he would do that in the past, he might have ridden like that, but this is NOT Contador, Froome or Nibali 2014 he is up against. Its Kruijswijk who has finished 7th in the Giro as his best result and is inexperienced, but we all know, all that won't matter if Kruijswijk continues.

Valverde will search for his 'jour sans'. Chances are he won't find it, but he will try, Im positive.

Re:

hrotha said:
Valverde will keep his eyes peeled so if Kruijswijk hands over the maglia rosa on a silver platter he'll take it, but don't expect him to take any risks to force any situation.

...and I suspect many here will rake him over the coals for not going on some epic, doomed to fail attack to win the Giro in spectacular fashion. He's done quite well for his first Giro. I too wish he'd given the Giro a shot a few times more but the way that he's riding at his age he may have a couple of years or so to consider returning again. He's an exceptional talent that I've enjoyed watching compete throughout his career.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Kruijswijk is very, very strong, so it'll be very difficult to crack him. Nibali is fourth just behind me but for sure he'll attack too. He's classy and will try to knock me off the podium but I'll fight all the way to Turin
And suddenly Nibali has gone from Ally to enemy :p

Kruijswijk said that before the race they are talking about alliances, but as you can see that in the end they are all riding for their.
Sure, if Nibbs and Valverde dropped Kruijswijk then they would've worked together. In the end it's the opportunities you get during the racing.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Lets chill with all the talk about Valverde holding on to his podium. He might have said something that could indicate he would do that in the past, he might have ridden like that, but this is NOT Contador, Froome or Nibali 2014 he is up against. Its Kruijswijk who has finished 7th in the Giro as his best result and is inexperienced, but we all know, all that won't matter if Kruijswijk continues.

Valverde will search for his 'jour sans'. Chances are he won't find it, but he will try, Im positive.

Ofcourse. Every rider will try to find his moment of glory or his was to glory. Some riders are good at finding their way to glory (contador) and some will wait for that moment to appear right infront of them.
Valverde will certainly try something again, but he has never been the most inventive rider imo.

Re: Re:

Angliru said:
hrotha said:
Valverde will keep his eyes peeled so if Kruijswijk hands over the maglia rosa on a silver platter he'll take it, but don't expect him to take any risks to force any situation.

...and I suspect many here will rake him over the coals for not going on some epic, doomed to fail attack to win the Giro in spectacular fashion. He's done quite well for his first Giro. I too wish he'd given the Giro a shot a few times more but the way that he's riding at his age he may have a couple of years or so to consider returning again. He's an exceptional talent that I've enjoyed watching compete throughout his career.

Absolutely! Come back next year Alejandro!

Indeed and its the 100th Giro and all or whatever is going on next year. The only problem is he won't be as good in either the Ardennes or the Giro and the Ardennes + Tour + Vuelta is just such a good schedule for him. I guess it depends on the route and all as well - say, if the Giro have 3 multi mountain stages similar to Corvara and S. Anna, it probably isn't the best idea... if the sensations are the same in the last week as they were in Corvara.

.. I could see, if Quintana wins the Tour, try for the double in 2017. But thats just speculation.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

hfer07 said:
yaco said:
The target for Valverde and Chavez will be to keep their podium places.

Chavito will try until the end :) Valverde is the one likely to defend his spot at all cost

Really? Why didn't he tried today? Nibali, Valverde, Zakarin attacked on the first climb like a mad men, didn't saw him in any move, yet he claims he had a good legs. In fact name me one move he initiated in this whole Giro?

Mr.White said:
hfer07 said:
yaco said:
The target for Valverde and Chavez will be to keep their podium places.

Chavito will try until the end :) Valverde is the one likely to defend his spot at all cost

Really? Why didn't he tried today? Nibali, Valverde, Zakarin attacked on the first climb like a mad men, didn't saw him in any move, yet he claims he had a good legs. In fact name me one move he initiated in this whole Giro?
Chaves has attacked this Giro but I certainly don't expect him to have a win at all cost mentality. He's not a multiple GT winner like a Contador or Nibali. He's never even podiumed one. He would be stupid to try anything that jeopardized that. I'm sure he, Bala, and Zaka will attack and will look for chinks in SK's armour but they won't try anything heroic (read: potentially suicidal)

Arredondo said:
...But if he rides conservative, a podium place is very much possible. But i like him to see going all out. Better for the race :)
After his brilliant and very satisfying stage win today, I would be happy to see him race extremely conservatively for the remainder of the week to defend a podium position (assuming he successfully defends it).

Very pleased to see him win today... Hats of to Zakarin as well for drilling it all the way to the line and not messing about. Don Alejandro was imperious in victory, however.

DFA123 said:
...But, rightly or wrongly, I think they will see Kruijswijk as vulnerable. And both will recognise they may never get a better opportunity to win a GT again.
Just an fyi in case you missed it, but in today's post-stage interview Valverde clearly stated that he did not see Kruijswijk as being vulnerable. In fact, he said that he'd seen absolutely no evidence that the Dutchman might crack.

Link: http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube3/?title=Winner%27s+Interview+from+Stage+16&dashboard=giro-d-italia&id=zZgEAJ4aYfs&yr=2016

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

joe_papp said:
DFA123 said:
...But, rightly or wrongly, I think they will see Kruijswijk as vulnerable. And both will recognise they may never get a better opportunity to win a GT again.
Just an fyi in case you missed it, but in today's post-stage interview Valverde clearly stated that he did not see Kruijswijk as being vulnerable. In fact, he said that he'd seen absolutely no evidence that the Dutchman might crack.

Link: http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube3/?title=Winner%27s+Interview+from+Stage+16&dashboard=giro-d-italia&id=zZgEAJ4aYfs&yr=2016

Smokescreen, double bluff... though pro cyclists are known for their honesty.

yespatterns said:
joe_papp said:
DFA123 said:

Smokescreen, double bluff... though pro cyclists are known for their honesty.
lol.

Valverde trying to lull Kruijswijk into a false sense of security? Or perhaps seeking to manage expectations of the Spanish cycling public. Don Alejandro...maestro on the bike...maestro of off-the-bike psyops :p

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
pres_at_alt.png

Bad day again so he wasn't bluffing about altitude.Podium is gone and i hope he won't take it back from poor Steven K. :(
I'm not disappointed as he got a stage win and performed better than expected considering it's his first Giro.

TRENDING THREADS