• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 222 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
I'll admit I'm not the most knowledgeable cycling tactician so someone clue me in.

Why wouldn't you have Bennati and co lead Valverde out for a sprint tomorrow? Even a third place would be significant due to bonifications and if they jump early and split the peloton...

If Valverde feels like it he may very well get involved in the sprint. Earlier in this Vuelta he finished top 10 in a field sprint, so he may get involved, esp if he's serious about wanting the Green jersey in Madrid as well.

Re:

Blanco said:
And what about all that talk that Bala and Alberto can't stand each other? It looked like they're really close friends.
I always figured it was just really competitive and always wanting to beat each other, and nothing personal. I don't really think they're friends either, but now that Contador has retired they can lighten up

Re:

Blanco said:
And what about all that talk that Bala and Alberto can't stand each other? It looked like they're really close friends.

I've heard they've been very good friends for years. Also heard that during their bans they talked about and both actually did start amateur teams, they just took different approaches to it.

What are people thinking about the approach on Friday to Rabassa? Its a mono climb and a pretty weird one at that, steep at the bottom but gradually flattens out and with MS actually being very good in the mountain at this stage of the race, an attack in the bottom might prove to be a dead sentence. But I cannot help not to think Prato Nevoso about this stage, a stage where Yates began to bleed time, the beginning of the end. I really don't know whats the best tactic is and I dont know either if you try to control the break to get the bonus into play - maybe you can do that with Benna, Erviti and Oliveira who maybe aren't worth so much anyways the day afterwards?

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
What are people thinking about the approach on Friday to Rabassa? Its a mono climb and a pretty weird one at that, steep at the bottom but gradually flattens out and with MS actually being very good in the mountain at this stage of the race, an attack in the bottom might prove to be a dead sentence. But I cannot help not to think Prato Nevoso about this stage, a stage where Yates began to bleed time, the beginning of the end. I really don't know whats the best tactic is and I dont know either if you try to control the break to get the bonus into play - maybe you can do that with Benna, Erviti and Oliveira who maybe aren't worth so much anyways the day afterwards?

Definitely control the break. The stage is very easy, so that should be doable.

Then ride hard on the climb to try to see if Yates will get into trouble and try to control till the end, so Valverde can win the stage.

In other words: Sky train in new colours.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:

Then ride hard on the climb to try to see if Yates will get into trouble and try to control till the end, so Valverde can win the stage.

I think they could try it, esp now that Quintana is working for Valverde to try to win it. They'll have a full team to use. Thing is, he doesn't need Yates to fully crack just bleed time like he did on the first of the mountain stages before the rest day.

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:

Exactly, plus there's a bonus at the bottom of Rabassa, I guess Valverde could take that.

He could win the Rabassa stage too. I think the climb is highly overrated. Yeah, it's hard in the buttom. But the middle to last part is very easy with only the last k being somewhat steep. Perfect for Valverde and the Movi-train.

That's 3 secs + 10 secs + maybe a 4 sec gap = 19 secs gained.

I think we need to be directing this team. At least we have a plan. It may or may not work, but we have a plan.

3 + 10 (bonus seconds) + the 4 second gap, however, how many of those bonus seconds does Yates get? Are we going to count on Lopez and Mas out sprinting Yates for those other bonus seconds?

Re:

Koronin said:
I think we need to be directing this team. At least we have a plan. It may or may not work, but we have a plan.

3 + 10 (bonus seconds) + the 4 second gap, however, how many of those bonus seconds does Yates get? Are we going to count on Lopez and Mas out sprinting Yates for those other bonus seconds?

And I’m sure on the flat run-in for Fridays bonus seconds Mitchelton will let Trentin sprint to make it as hard as possible for Valverde to gain the maximum.

Re:

Koronin said:

Yeah, I know it's a messy equation. The fact that it's Yates not someone like Kruijswijk makes it more complicated.

I don't think Valverde can drop Yates on the climbs.. so it all comes down to strategy.

3rd week one climb stages before a harder stage generally always go to the break.

I very much doubt any other team will want to pull the break back. Movistar can't hope to control the flat AND the climb with just 7 riders, especially as the climb is long enough that you need quite a big train but not hard enough that you can pull back 5 minutes on the breakaway.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
lartiste said:
Robert5091 said:
Valv.Piti said:
"The red jersey is not an aspiration ‘per se’, though I’m feeling strong and close to the top guys. Tuesday’s route shouldn’t be bad for me; hopefully I can have a good day. I still think it will be tough for anyone to make a real gap in the GC to win this one.”

Yep, the red jersey is a huge aspiration and if/when he gets it, he will do everything in his might to keep it. Vamos Alejandro! :cool:

Someone else not planning on winning?! :D

Overall win is lying on the street, who ever will come and take it will win, hopefully Bala will be the first! But eventhough it will be not simple for him, this would be great finale of his career.

Finale? Maybe, just maybe Tokyo Olympics.

He has option to win Vuelta for second time. In my opinion the last one, since the field is exceptionally weak this year and since he is getting older and older every year :).

So from GT point of view it is his final GT he can win in my opinion. But we will see of course!

On the other hand if he ride Tokyo with same result as Vino London, I will be very happy for him.

Pricey_sky said:
Koronin said:

And I’m sure on the flat run-in for Fridays bonus seconds Mitchelton will let Trentin sprint to make it as hard as possible for Valverde to gain the maximum.

You also might get Sagan in there if he's trying to battle Valverde for the Green jersey as well.

Red Rick said:
Blanco said:
I always figured it was just really competitive and always wanting to beat each other, and nothing personal. I don't really think they're friends either, but now that Contador has retired they can lighten up
This. They're obviously not friends, as in they wouldn't go out for a drink together, but in a collegial sense they get along just fine.

Re:

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
So if our Lady is fighting with hurricane Florence (really, good luck), it means no posts?

Things indeed look critical. I am off to a trip to Hamburg in the weekend and will try to avoid spoilers, so I shall not be contributing either.

And good luck with everything to Koronin. I hope you've decided to get away if you live in the impact zone.

TRENDING THREADS