• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

Page 238 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

• Nuclear Holocoust

Votes: 27 100.0%

• Total voters
Re:

Velolover2 said:
I think he slow-pedal in Tre Valli Varesine to save to energy and enjoy his new rainbow.

If he is in Worlds shape, I can't see him losing on Superga (a perfect climb for him) unless a late attacker like De Marchi yesterday surprises.

Lombardia is more difficult to control. I'd be very surprised if he wins it.

I'm not sure he knows how to do that.

I don't know if he can win Lombardia, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wins one of the two pre races and equals his 2004 (thought it was 2003 but it's 2004) win total of 15 wins. That was amazing if he could do that. 15 wins near the start of his career when he was looking ahead to a bright future and now in that later part of his career when he's already had a wonderful career and is now just racing because he still dearly loves to.

If someone was expecting a Movistar screwed jersey will be disappointed :D

Do41ECvXgAEClz5.jpg

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
There are strict regulations so there was hardly any room for Movistar to screw it up, but I feel it would have looked more classy with a black logo.
Agree, but it still looks very good IMO. Also needs black, long arms, then we are cooking. You dont wear black legs and then blue arms, Valverde! The stripes also needs to go all around the shorts, but these are semantics

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
Velolover2 said:
I think he slow-pedal in Tre Valli Varesine to save to energy and enjoy his new rainbow.

If he is in Worlds shape, I can't see him losing on Superga (a perfect climb for him) unless a late attacker like De Marchi yesterday surprises.

I don't know if he can win Lombardia, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wins one of the two pre races and equals his 2004 (thought it was 2003 but it's 2004) win total of 15 wins. That was amazing if he could do that. 15 wins near the start of his career when he was looking ahead to a bright future and now in that later part of his career when he's already had a wonderful career and is now just racing because he still dearly loves to.

Of course he can, but another question is will he? He should've won it already in 2014 but screwed big time, and he might had won it in his absence years 2007-2012. Maybe this is the year.

Blanco said:
Koronin said:
Velolover2 said:

Of course he can, but another question is will he? He should've won it already in 2014 but screwed big time, and he might had won it in his absence years 2007-2012. Maybe this is the year.

If he still has the proper mindset after this big success he is the favorite for the win.

With the festivities and the traveling and the liberation of finally winning the rainbow jersey, one might think the sharpest edge is off Valverde for the rest of the week.

But we'll see in Tre Valli and in Milan Torino.

What's Movistars line up in Il Lombardia supposed to look like?

Re:

Red Rick said:
With the festivities and the traveling and the liberation of finally winning the rainbow jersey, one might think the sharpest edge is off Valverde for the rest of the week.

But we'll see in Tre Valli and in Milan Torino.

What's Movistars line up in Il Lombardia supposed to look like?
You know we are talking about Valverde, this guy is by no means your typical cyclist.

I expected no less of you Toby. Nice to finally read something about Valverde devoid of all the doping nonsense!

Rollthedice said:
Blanco said:
Koronin said:
Velolover2 said:

If he still has the proper mindset after this big success he is the favorite for the win.

Ok, you're right he can, however, he may not.

Not worried about his mindset. He loves racing. The question is how much training has he been able to get in this week.

Koronin said:
Rollthedice said:
Blanco said:
Koronin said:
Velolover2 said:

Not worried about his mindset. He loves racing. The question is how much training has he been able to get in this week.

I think it doesn't matter much. He's in good shape and staying somewhat fresh is what's most important at the moment. The high-intensity he will get in Tre Valli and Milano-Torino.

It's time to delete another ugly gap in that palmarès of his.

And thanks for the nice words, Valv - I knew you'd like it :)

tobydawq said:
Koronin said:
Rollthedice said:
Koronin said:
Velolover2 said:

I think it doesn't matter much. He's in good shape and staying somewhat fresh is what's most important at the moment. The high-intensity he will get in Tre Valli and Milano-Torino.

It's time to delete another ugly gap in that palmarès of his.

And thanks for the nice words, Valv - I knew you'd like it :)[/quote]

With him, you may very well be correct. He'll get some good training in the two pre races. Yes, it is time to add Lombardia to his palmares.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Not too bad, but I hope he will wear black leg and arm warmers. And if they could make the text on the jersey black, that would be great as well.

A proper worlds kit must not contain any other major colours than black, white and the coloured stripes.

This is Movistar we're talking about. They are great at screwing up any and every championship jersey they possibly can. They won't put the Sponsor name in black, if anything they would use the darker blue if they didn't use the light blue.

Is this the official jersey, or just one for commercial reasons? Because I thought sponsor logos had to be black, but I can't find it back in the official rules.

Edit: I just searched for some pictures of Sagan, and there the Hansgrohe logo was green, so I guess I was wrong.

Yeah, it looks good in-race. Pretty happy about that, he looks stylish. Didn't went all out today, lets wait till tomorrow, but would be very surprised if he isn't in great shape as usual tbh. Then a couple of days of rest and then hopefully finally a Lombardia win.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts