• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Hockey perspective from a Minnesotan:

I'd like to get into predictions, but it's way too early in the season for me.

Having grown up in the state that produces more hockey players than any other in the US, has arguably the best fan base, and best rink in the NHL in the Xcel Energy Center, I'm at a total loss why the Wild cannot produce a better team than 4th worst in the league this season.

I was a North Stars Fan instantly as a kid, and I'd like to imagine that had the cycling bug not caught me at such a young age, I would've made a fine hockey player. But all wishful thinking aside, is it too much to ask that "the State of Hockey" produce a cup challenging team? We had glimmers of hope from '06-'08, but clearly not any rosters that are cup worthy.

Backstrom looks like he's moving in slow motion compared to the last 2 seasons, Havlat can't score, Boogie and Scott are good for a rumble, but that doesn't win games, neither does a hit leader in Cal "buttercup" Clutterbuck. Sykora and Bouchard are injured. And then there's Mikko Koivu, Capitan and best player for the last couple years, but I've never seen someone work so hard and get nothing done. The rest are mediocre at best that only have slight moments of glory.

Parting words from the end of the North Stars era, hopefully never repeated again: "When [Norm Green] came here, he said, 'Only an idiot could lose money on hockey in Minnesota.' Well, I guess he proved that point."

:(

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Having grown up in the state that produces more hockey players than any other in the US, has arguably the best fan base, and best rink in the NHL in the Xcel Energy Center, I'm at a total loss why the Wild cannot produce a better team than 4th worst in the league this season.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are the most valuable team in the NHL. But look at their performance in the ice - last in the Northeastern League with only three wins from 19 games. I understand why the Leafs are so rich, but cannot understand why this does not translate into more success on the ice. (But I am glad they suck!)

A

Anonymous

india_hockey.jpg

HOCKEY

2004_02_chuck_hockey.jpg

ICE SKATING

i agree with IK about the pens winning it all...not only are they defending champions but the majority of their nucleus is still crazy young...crosby, malkin, staal and MA fleury are all a year wiser

random predictions that i dont want anyone to hold me too:

Eastern Conference Finals: Penguins over Capitals in 7, Crosby outduels Ovechkin
Western Conference Finals: Sharks over Avalanche in 5
Stanley Cup Finals: Penguins over Sharks in 6, American media realizes that Malkin is a better player than Crosby, but Crosby is still a better leader

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
RDV, I think 3 things are plaguing the Wild this year. One is adapting to a system change after 9 years of Lemaire's tight defensive style, another is the loss of Gaborik, who when healthy is a genuine superstar, and the third is that their lineup just ain't that good. Not too many guys who can put the puck in the net. Every coach wants M. Koivu on his team, but that's more due to his leadership skills than his hands. I like Backstrom and Harding, you will probably be fine in net when they get their game straight. That's my 10 cent analysis of your team. The problem with being mediocre is you don't make the playoffs but you can't get a top draft pick either. If it's any consolation, their new 3rd jerseys are one of the best in the game. Good to hear the Xcel Center is a good rink, next time I'm in MB I'll slip across the border to catch a game.

Elapid, I don't know what the Leafs problems are, probably too numerous to list, but I hope they continue!

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
TheNJDevil said:
where are the devils in this conversation? NJ DEVILS RULE!!!

You guys play play Smashville tonight. Minnesota boy Zach Parise on your Devils, you've got good help, but don't underestimate them either, they're better than their middle of the pack standings would suggest, especially at home. Plus they've got a mini win streak going.

Wild lost at home to Phoenix last night, no surprises there.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
pedaling squares said:
RDV, I think 3 things are plaguing the Wild this year. One is adapting to a system change after 9 years of Lemaire's tight defensive style, another is the loss of Gaborik, who when healthy is a genuine superstar, and the third is that their lineup just ain't that good. Not too many guys who can put the puck in the net. Every coach wants M. Koivu on his team, but that's more due to his leadership skills than his hands. I like Backstrom and Harding, you will probably be fine in net when they get their game straight. That's my 10 cent analysis of your team. The problem with being mediocre is you don't make the playoffs but you can't get a top draft pick either. If it's any consolation, their new 3rd jerseys are one of the best in the game. Good to hear the Xcel Center is a good rink, next time I'm in MB I'll slip across the border to catch a game.

We're losing patience quickly here with Todd Richards style of hockey. We lost a cup winning legendary coach to this jank doughboy who never was pro.

And that's just it, during the time we had Gaborik he was always injured, and the Wild put waaaaaaaay too much stock in him, the team was built around him and he was not playing half the time. But you're right, when he's on, he's one of the best. Remember what he did to the Rangers before the move there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzSpo4F550w

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Ice hockey is a great sport... I have a fantasy team so I onlty keep track of the teams that the players i have, so I now know Kovalchuck is very good..

The canucks arent doing too bad after the terrible start, especially the donkey luongo, went to an ice hockety for the 1st time, vancouver v columbus around 2 months ago and he was on top donkey form that day :S.... I am not sure they wil make the play offs though they seem to be abit too inconsistent, and i think D.Sedin is still out. Kesler is doing very good for an american :S

I guess chicago to win the whole thing, they seem to be looking strong :S.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
palmerq said:
Ice hockey is a great sport... I have a fantasy team so I onlty keep track of the teams that the players i have, so I now know Kovalchuck is very good..

The canucks arent doing too bad after the terrible start, especially the donkey luongo, went to an ice hockety for the 1st time, vancouver v columbus around 2 months ago and he was on top donkey form that day :S.... I am not sure they wil make the play offs though they seem to be abit too inconsistent, and i think D.Sedin is still out. Kesler is doing very good for an american :S

I guess chicago to win the whole thing, they seem to be looking strong :S.

Now that their injured players are coming back, you should see a far better Canucks team. And Luongo... when he's on there is nobody in the game like him. That guy can win a series or three by himself. Chicago... great offensive talent, not sure the goaltending will get them deep in the playoffs. They're fun to watch though.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Now that their injured players are coming back, you should see a far better Canucks team. And Luongo... when he's on there is nobody in the game like him. That guy can win a series or three by himself. Chicago... great offensive talent, not sure the goaltending will get them deep in the playoffs. They're fun to watch though.

Canucks looked mighty good last spring. They might be even better this time around. Hawks: good, but that goalie thing doesn't look right. Sharks: they always seem to forget that the playoffs come after the regular season.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Ok RDV, I'm sympathizing with your team right now. Imagine being on a road swing and having your equipment van burn. I don't know how much they've lost, but trying to play at pro level with brand new pads/helmets/skates/gloves would be a severe handicap. I hope they have some spare gear back in MN that they can FedEx out there damn quick. Of course it won't affect the Boogey man, he tends to drop his gloves when it's time to get to work.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
pedaling squares said:
Ok RDV, I'm sympathizing with your team right now. Imagine being on a road swing and having your equipment van burn. I don't know how much they've lost, but trying to play at pro level with brand new pads/helmets/skates/gloves would be a severe handicap. I hope they have some spare gear back in MN that they can FedEx out there damn quick. Of course it won't affect the Boogey man, he tends to drop his gloves when it's time to get to work.

Yeah, crazy eh.. Never heard of this before. At least Koivu will be ok breaking in new equipment for the gallons of saliva that he spits into his gloves in the duration of a game. They're doing really well as of late, and on the road too, even without Bouchard, Burns, Sýkora, Nolan. Big part of their recent success is Havlat finally starting to wake up, and Boogard is actually playing hockey instead of fighting all the time.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Seeing as how we are now deep into the NHL playoffs, I thought I could bump this up and renew the discussion.

Frankly I'm surprised both the penguins and the caps are out of it. Not at all surprised with the Blackhawks (I'm hoping I see them drink from the cup of glory)....any thoughts?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
Seeing as how we are now deep into the NHL playoffs, I thought I could bump this up and renew the discussion.

Frankly I'm surprised both the penguins and the caps are out of it. Not at all surprised with the Blackhawks (I'm hoping I see them drink from the cup of glory)....any thoughts?

I'm not all that surprised by the Caps, soooo much talent but they haven't yet figured out what it takes to win in the playoffs. This was a hard lesson and I bet those youngsters learned it well. Look out if their keeper gets hot and if they figure out what teamwork is all about. I'm more surprised by the Pens, those guys obviously know what it takes to win. Montreal figured out how to take the middle of the ice away from their superstar centres, and their lack of wingers was exposed.

As per my previous post about the 'Hawks... well their rookie goalie proved to be a stud and they're looking like the favourite right now. Anything can still happen though, the Sharks have finally learned what to do in May.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
The last two rounds will certainly be interesting. The two underdogs of the East versus the two top teams in the West.

It's too close to call for now. Hopefully the Habs will get their heads on right and win the series. The last game was dreadful.

I'm hoping for a Habs v. Hawks final.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Hawks - Flyers Stanley Cup Final. I did want the Habs to make it, but sadly the franchise with a reputation for passing off troglodytes as a bunch of hockey players beat the Habs.

Hawks should win this. It's been 49 years since they last won. The Bill Wirtz years of not giving a crap about the team really hurt the team in the 90s and most of the 00s.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I bet Marty Havlat is kicking himself for not staying in Chicago. Can't remember if he was released or came to MN on his own. Probably making more money anyway. But still, I'd take a pay cut to have a chance at the CUP.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
trompe le monde said:
Hawks - Flyers Stanley Cup Final. I did want the Habs to make it, but sadly the franchise with a reputation for passing off troglodytes as a bunch of hockey players beat the Habs.

Hawks should win this. It's been 49 years since they last won. The Bill Wirtz years of not giving a crap about the team really hurt the team in the 90s and most of the 00s.

I'm with you on the Flyers...can't stand Carcillo or Ashen...but as a rabid Canes fan, I am happy for Laviolette (sp) and Leighten! I also don't mind Hartnell...

But agree all around...Flyers will get manhandled by the Hawks!! I don't predict a good series...

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
More cheap shots at the Flyers, I love it. I honestly hope its just a good finals. When the Flyers got swept in 97 by Detroit without putting up much of a fight it was embarassing. I think the Blackhawks have the edge talent wise but not by the margins many experts would like you to belive. In addition to the troglodites the Flyers have their own pool of very talented players.