• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hot racing coming up in Australia

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

drebelo said:
I think everybody is discarting Rui Costa for tomorrow stage. The guy was tremendously strong in the beginning of last season and with the changes on the team this might be one of the few oppurtunities he will have to ride for himself in the big world tour stage. I think he deffinetly should be one of the favourites.

We are discounting Costa, yes.
Because UAE have been very clear the leader is Ulissi and everyone else is riding for him.

Re: Re:

GuyIncognito said:
drebelo said:
I think everybody is discarting Rui Costa for tomorrow stage. The guy was tremendously strong in the beginning of last season and with the changes on the team this might be one of the few oppurtunities he will have to ride for himself in the big world tour stage. I think he deffinetly should be one of the favourites.

Because UAE have been very clear the leader is Ulissi and everyone else is riding for him.

Neither the history of Lampre/UAE nor the personal history of Costa suggest that such declarations have any real effect.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
Why the **** do you organise a race in Australia in the middle of summer?
Same with the Australian Open.
The average summer maximum temp in Adelaide is 29C. Like everywhere, sometimes you get considerable variation.

The TdF is held in the middle of summer. Vuelta starts during Spain's hottest month. Why?

More seriously, the only calendar slot for pros to be in Australia is during our summer. And to bring in the crowds, it's the summer holidays.

Keep in mind the primary purpose of the event is as a tourism promotion venture.

Zinoviev Letter said:
GuyIncognito said:
drebelo said:

Neither the history of Lampre/UAE nor the personal history of Costa suggest that such declarations have any real effect.

I don't see either the team or the rider as being very selfish. We're not talking about MG and Pascal Richard here.
Besides, he clearly worked for Ulissi two days ago

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Jagartrott said:
Why the **** do you organise a race in Australia in the middle of summer?
Same with the Australian Open.
The average summer maximum temp in Adelaide is 29C. Like everywhere, sometimes you get considerable variation.

The TdF is held in the middle of summer. Vuelta starts during Spain's hottest month. Why?

More seriously, the only calendar slot for pros to be in Australia is during our summer. And to bring in the crowds, it's the summer holidays.

Keep in mind the primary purpose of the event is as a tourism promotion venture.
You have to look at the mean maximum high, which is above 41°C.
The Vuelta being raced earlier than a few years ago is simply stupid - climate wise Vuelta and Giro should switch places. I'd say the TdU could be raced in October, after the worlds and as a link to the Chinese race. Regardless, if you have a reasonable chance of >40°C temperatures, you really shouldn't be organising a race. Roadsides will be largely empty, attacking racing is not likely, and health-wise it's just idiotic.

Yeah, October is when the Herald-Sun Tour used to run. If you could click a button and make that the October Australian WT week long stage race it would be ideal. Has a long'ish history + parcours are much more beautiful and interesting too, including some genuine mountains. But I think I say this every year. TDU is what it is - it's turned into a good spirited festive event.

Re:

The Hegelian said:
Yeah, October is when the Herald-Sun Tour used to run. If you could click a button and make that the October Australian WT week long stage race it would be ideal. Has a long'ish history + parcours are much more beautiful and interesting too, including some genuine mountains. But I think I say this every year. TDU is what it is - it's turned into a good spirited festive event.

Good to get the bad stuff out of the system in January ! Happy New Year blah blah.........then some fans can spend the rest of the season complaining about Froome and Sky. The Sun Tour is a better race of course but it wouldn't draw the same crowds and have the Adelaide marketing machinery going full time. October would be ideal for the TDU climate wise but not in any other way.

Jagartrott said:
Why?

All you are doing is choosing the peaks of the maximums and asserting this represents normal conditions, when it doesn't. Normal conditions for January are better represented by the average maximum temp.

Can it get really hot? Sure, but equally it can be really pleasant, if not quite cool in the mornings in the hills.

Here is January so far this year in Adelaide:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/IDCJDW5001.latest.shtml

Of the 18 days: 4 were above 30C and 2 above 40C. Most of the rest, i.e. 2/3rds of the days so far, were well under 30C and quite pleasant conditions.

Weather fluctuates, that's normal, so occasionally the race will coincide with hot conditions, but more commonly it will coincide with fairly pleasant conditions because that's the mean.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Jagartrott said:
Why?

All you are doing is choosing the peaks of the maximums and asserting this represents normal conditions, when it doesn't. Normal conditions for January are better represented by the average maximum temp.

Can it get really hot? Sure, but equally it can be really pleasant, if not quite cool in the mornings in the hills.

Here is January so far this year in Adelaide:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/IDCJDW5001.latest.shtml

Of the 18 days: 4 were above 30C and 2 above 40C. Most of the rest, i.e. 2/3rds of the days so far, were well under 30C and quite pleasant conditions.

Weather fluctuates, that's normal, so occasionally the race will coincide with hot conditions, but more commonly it will coincide with fairly pleasant conditions because that's the mean.
Man, you're just taking the ground off critics. Not nice)
I am very surprised that high temperature is an issue, because riders chose to ride this race, not forced. If you are feeling bad, then just abandon. Often cycling is a battle of attrition first and foremost.

Re:

wirral said:
"You have to look at the mean maximum high" @Jagartrott

Please explain the phrase mathematically above using my example figures.
Mon 21 34
Tue 22 34
Wed 23 36
Thu 21 42
Fri 22 39
Sat 21 32
Sun 22 31

What is mean maximum high??
I'll explain:

The average maximum temperature in January is the average of all the maximum temps reached for every day in January. Say for the last 10 years this is the average of the max temp reached for all 310 January days in that decade. In Adelaide that's about 28-29C.

Mean maximum high is the average of the hottest January day for each year over the years in the sample. So for past decade that would be the average of the January max temp in 2009, 2010, ... 2018. That's just a sample of the hottest Jan day each year. In this case of a the past decade that's 10 sample days out of the 310 January days.

The actual records are based on a time period longer than a decade, I was just using that time period to illustrate.

But a headwind should favor the power climbers with a great TT over the puncheurs. Ion Izagirre and Latour are good bets for second.

I'd say:
1. Porte

2. Latour 11 secs down
3. Ion s/t

4. Bernal 17 secs

5. Bennett 19 secs

Sagan group 26 secs:
6. Sagan
7. McCarty
8. Ullisi
9. Pozzovivo
10. Canty