• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jakob Fuglsang discussion thread

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looks like Fuglsang and Manny ran out of gas in the last 500 meters on today's stage. Which is a shame, since the bonus seconds that Poels took from him can prove to be a problem tomorrow. Yates can now still win the overall through bonus seconds instead of having to create a gap to Fuglsang.

But I think today was still a more than acceptable performance. Only Manny and Poels could match him, and I don't see that changing tomorrow. Also, Astana have showed that they have a team that can control the stage to a certain degree.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Ok, that's it.

I officially believe that he can get a podium in the Tour de France.

Yeah, it does look really good - I would actually go that far and put him as a 2nd favorite to win the Tour behind Geraint Thomas. The question is whether he can improve from now to July, as to avoid a repeat of last year's lacklustre Tour.

Second biggest favourite for Tour de France, slightly ahead of Bernal at 6,00 at bet365. I assume that Bernal will surpass Jacob after Tour de Suisse, but this is an astonishing turn of events.

Yes, he can win Tour de France. But everything will go right and Ineos will have to collapse, crash or otherwise *** it up.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Ok, that's it.

Now, I officially believe that he can get a podium in the Tour de France.
I don't really see how this changes anything. In my opinion, he was still more impressive in Dauphiné 2017 than he was today. In all fairness, the TDF podium plan looked good until his crash in the 2017 Tour, but it's still questionable if Jakob can pull off a super Tour with a good TdS/Dauphiné beforehand. 2013 indicates that he can and 2018 indicates a no.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Second biggest favourite for Tour de France, slightly ahead of Bernal at 6,00 at bet365. I assume that Bernal will surpass Jacob after Tour de Suisse, but this is an astonishing turn of events.

Yes, he can win Tour de France. But everything will go right and Ineos will have to collapse, crash or otherwise **** it up.
Yeah, it's a long shot, but I gotta say that I'm pretty happy having made a bet on him to win the Tour at odds 251 at the moment :D

Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
tobydawq said:
Ok, that's it.

I don't really see how this changes anything. In my opinion, he was still more impressive in Dauphiné 2017 than he was today. In all fairness, the TDF podium plan looked good until his crash in the 2017 Tour, but it's still questionable if Jakob can pull off a super Tour with a good TdS/Dauphiné beforehand. 2013 indicates that he can and 2018 indicates a no.
Its all about the opposition he faces. Porte looks horrible, Dumo injured, Froome out, Roglic out, Nibs Giro, Quintana meh, Landa Giro....

Also, he has been one of the very best riders for the entire duration of the season. That was the primary reason for me to begin believing in a good Tour result but I wanted to see him back the spring form up in the real mountains in the Dauphiné. And then he managed to beat almost everybody that he will face in July on a long, long climb which (as opposed to Mr. Low Vegetable) I don't think suits him very well, confirming his level.

So it's more his entire season that has changed everything - at least for me when assessing his chances in the Tour.

Cance > TheRest said:
tobydawq said:
Ok, that's it.

I think you should be taking into account that he is in the best form of his life and been so all season. Will he win the Tour? Who knows, anything could happen.

Cance > TheRest said:
tobydawq said:
Ok, that's it.

He might have been, because we saw him level with Froome and the top dogs at the race, but the difference isn't just Valv.Piti's correct assessment of the level of his competitors; it is also the fact that he has been better than ever throughout the whole year. And this is coming from someone who hasn't joined the Fuglsang hype train happily lead by Rolf (still remember the ridiculous "han kan vinde Touren" eller "gå på podiet" after the cobble carnage in 2014) but I think now is the right time for the hype! (Keeping in mind, that he does improve between now and July unlike last year)

Re:

tobydawq said:
Also, he has been one of the very best riders for the entire duration of the season. That was the primary reason for me to begin believing in a good Tour result but I wanted to see him back the spring form up in the real mountains in the Dauphiné. And then he managed to beat almost everybody that he will face in July on a long, long climb which (as opposed to Mr. Low Vegetable) I don't think suits him very well, confirming his level.

So it's more his entire season that has changed everything - at least for me when assessing his chances in the Tour.
Thats also plays a major part, but I would still be very hesitant if Froome, Dumoulin and Roglic turned up in great shape.

Valv.Piti said:
tobydawq said:

Thats also plays a major part, but I would still be very hesitant if Froome, Dumoulin and Roglic turned up in great shape.

Of course.

But its the first year Im on the bandwagon and honestly, Im rooting for Fuglsang. Haven't always been doing that, but he is for real this year. Reminds me very much of Valverde's 2017 season - 2019 is the year Fuglsang can win. Next year, probably no chance. He GOT to take this opportunity simply put. No room for errors.

Also, it would be great if it meant more of my friends would watch the race with me. :D

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
But its the first year Im on the bandwagon and honestly, Im rooting for Fuglsang. Haven't always been doing that, but he is for real this year. Reminds me very much of Valverde's 2017 season - 2019 is the year Fuglsang can win. Next year, probably no chance. He GOT to take this opportunity simply put. No room for errors.

Also, it would be great if it meant more of my friends would watch the race with me. :D
'Going with the winner'-mentality? :)

Cance > TheRest said:
Valv.Piti said:

I like how he is racing this year and when he can win the Tour, it would be weird for me to at least actively root against him. Rooted for him in LBL as well. Guess I recognize it will be very good for cycling in Denmark if Fuglsang wins. The reason I have remained a lot more sceptic than other towards him has been his constant failures in TdF, but most importantly the way the media has spoken about him. This year its really justified tho.

Salvarani said:
movingtarget said:
i think Fuglsang will hang on. Yates didn't look too good. Fuglsang's form is still good.

It is good, but I dont think he is at the peak of form that he had in Liege. Will be very interesting if he could find that again or if he will fade over 3 weeks.

Good enough to win this race but the Tour will be another matter. Top 7 would be a good result in the Tour, very good even with Froome and Dumoulin out.

Valv.Piti said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Valv.Piti said:

I like how he is racing this year and when he can win the Tour, it would be weird for me to at least actively root against him. Rooted for him in LBL as well. Guess I recognize it will be very good for cycling in Denmark if Fuglsang wins. The reason I have remained a lot more sceptic than other towards him has been his constant failures in TdF, but most importantly the way the media has spoken about him. This year its really justified tho.
The idea that Jakob has changed his racing approach is more myth than fact, really. It has more to with him being a stronger athlete and consequently succeeds more often in his attacks.

I believe that Jakob has always been a quite agressive rider. Since his breakthrough in the Dauphiné '09, where he attacked left and right against guys like Contador, Evans, Nibali and Valverde. He also achieved some of his biggest results in the earlier part of his career through attacking.

TRENDING THREADS