• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard thread: Mountain Sprinter

Page 216 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tim Heemskerk (his coach):

‘He's been away with his family in Mallorca, but now he's starting altitude training in Tignes. It's a new step for him and now it's starting to look like normal training.’

‘He arrived at altitude yesterday (Tuesday, ed.) and initially there's not much training. He just has to adapt to the altitude.

The two-time Tour winner's coach also admits that he is surprised at how much Jonas Vingegaard has improved since the crash on 4 April.

‘We are trying to increase his fitness on the bike, but also to strengthen his shoulder through exercises and get him closer to the optimal weight,’ says Tim Heemskerk.

‘My hope is that he can train with the rest of the team when they come to Tignes after the Dauphiné for the pre-Tour training camp and become a full member of the team. No decision has been made yet. Right now the most important thing is today and tomorrow.’

‘He has prepared himself in the best possible way by doing some climbing and training descents in Mallorca, where he really got back up to speed for the first time. There it was about being somewhere with a good climate and where he could enjoy the time around training with his family. In Tignes, it's more about performance with normal training, massages etc.’ says Tim Heemskerk.

He will do literally do 1 month in altitude, not just 2 or 3 weeks.

I'm neither a doctor nor there with him (like everyone else), but observing from the outside I have the impression that the team is forcing things to get him to Florence. Whatever it takes. Let's see, at the Tour he will have to be at 90/100% immediately to overcome the Galibier on the fourth stage.

They always communicate the way they want, it's hard to believe they always tell the truth, but he should he really better to do altitude training camp.
I’m sure they leave our or twist a lot of things, but you said last week he’s been training at a normal training session and now the coach has finally come out to say this week was the start of an almost normal training session.

It’s hard to say if he will be better, it depends on how his lungs heal. It could become a real pain to breathe with altitude and exertion.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I’m sure they leave our or twist a lot of things, but you said last week he’s been training at a normal training session and now the coach has finally come out to say this week was the start of an almost normal training session.

It’s hard to say if he will be better, it depends on how his lungs heal. It could become a real pain to breathe with altitude and exertion.
Nevertheless being in altitude now, could mean the lungs are good right? Unless they are making in suffer. I don't believe it.

I'm neither a doctor nor there with him (like everyone else), but observing from the outside I have the impression that the team is forcing things to get him to Florence. Whatever it takes. Let's see, at the Tour he will have to be at 90/100% immediately to overcome the Galibier on the fourth stage.
Nah. He's been taking it easy so far. I think going to Tignes is more of a contingency in that if he improves dramatically and goes to the Tour, they want him to have been to altitude.

Realistically I think they've given up on him winning the Tour and just let him rebuild, but maybe riding the Tour can be part of that rebuild.

Reactions: SHAD0W93

Not just that, stage 1 is no joke, whoever is weak at the beginning will feel it from the start. And if Vingegaard shows up you can be sure this stage will be drilled very hard.

They're obviously pushing him to be at close to his best as possible for July if they're sending him to altitude now. They can talk all they want about prioritizing the long term and day by day, but the plan is clear to push full gas to get the best possible shape for Le tour, even if he won't be at his 2022/2023 level.

You don't send a rider targeting la Vuelta to altitude on 28th may after 21 days of rebuild training, following a month in hospital

They're obviously pushing him to be at close to his best as possible for July if they're sending him to altitude now. They can talk all they want about prioritizing the long term and day by day, but the plan is clear to push full gas to get the best possible shape for Le tour, even if he won't be at his 2022/2023 level.

You don't send a rider targeting la Vuelta to altitude on 28th may after 21 days of rebuild training, following a month in hospital

Yet they do.

I hope Vingegaard comes out of this in good health, if going to altitude now is the right step for that, I have no idea.