• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard thread: Mountain Sprinter

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@CyclistAbi I wish you were here in the Sky thread 2013-2018. would have been incredible. keep going

I was, just not in this community.

Probably @CyclistAbi and all Roglic fans of this forum loved Sky era, and want back the Sky/ineos days, because they clearly want final mountain sprints!

It was mostly boring as hell, today is much better.

As for holding it against Roglič, that he isn't just another generic attacker. Here you are just wrong. We have three fine ones now and it would make no real sense to have four. The shear idea of such lead out, that alone can make one smile.

We've been over this before: No one would have told him no in that situation, but he didn't clear it with his teammates, which we know eventually meant it did more harm than good.
He actually did. If you believe Sepp Kuss, that is.

There was really nothing wrong with Vingo's attack. In fact it was the smart thing to do, smarter than one of those three riding on the front and sacrificing himself... for what or for whom? It's UAE's incredibly dumb tactics that were the problem here. You don't expect when you attack that the main rival basically hands you the win.

They are more concerned about what Vingegaard does after the stage than what he does during the stage. I don't care if before or after the stage he calls his wife instead of doing backflips to the pool, or telling jokes during the flash interview.

I care about him giving entertaining and legendary performances.
Well he’s so good in GTs there’s not much to criticize.

Reactions: Froome
He actually did. If you believe Sepp Kuss, that is.

There was really nothing wrong with Vingo's attack. In fact it was the smart thing to do, smarter than one of those three riding on the front and sacrificing himself... for what or for whom? It's UAE's incredibly dumb tactics that were the problem here. You don't expect when you attack that the main rival basically hands you the win.

Kuss is not used to being the guy calling the shots, and Roglič is too passive aggressive to voice his concerns right away (maybe he has to speak to his wife first ;) )

I'm not saying Vingegaard did much wrong, but I can understand why Roglič wasn't happy about it afterwards, cause to him it felt like a stab in the back. But it ultimately falls back on the team for having not handled the situation in the best way possible. That said, I doubt it would have been easy for Plugge to have kept them all happy if he had been around for the whole race.

I would also ban kids on podiums. They don't belong there and take away from celebration.

I'd say they rather enhance it.
Podium ceremonies are just Get a trophy, some flowers, maybe a jersey, then listen to a song, kids add some spontaneity to the proceedings.
But only when they enjoy it. Roglic's son having an absolute blast on the podium; that's cute. A crying or otherwise looking uncomfortable; noooo... let the poor baby down!
Which is why I actually thought it was nice that Vingegaard didn't bring his daughter onto the podium in Paris last year, because there was a picture, and... yeah...

ving.jpg

She didn't exactly look like she was going to enjoy the whole thing very much...

I find it funny and basically an act of a spineless person (to call the wife immediately after every stage). How depended can you be to call her every god damn time and tell what? "I'm sweaty as hell and a bit tired, how was your day honey? Are kids alright? Can i go to bathroom now"?
Call her from the car or from the background after the race if you must. Not the first minute you step down from the bike on the rollers while others are tying to congratulate or talk to you and cameras are still rolling.

I would also ban kids on podiums. They don't belong there and take away from celebration.
raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

Kids on the podium isn't a new thing, so you might as well get used to it.
It doesn't matter if it's a new thing or not. It should be banned.
There is basically no other sport where winners bring their kids to the podium ceremony after the match/race.

Motorsport...none. Athletics... none. Team sports... none. Tennis...noap. Simply no. There are always exceptions, but in cycling it's basically a rule. Soon guys will start bringing up their grandmas or pets.

There is basically no other sport where winners bring their kids to the podium ceremony after the match/race.

Motorsport...none. Athletics... none. Team sports... none. Tennis...noap. Simply no. There are always exceptions, but in cycling it's basically a rule. Soon guys will start bringing up their grandmas or pets.
Three right off the bat.
Tom Brady with his daughter and 1 son;

Tom Brady with his daughter and 2 sons;

Patrick Mahomes with his daughter though his wife is holding her;

While we’re at it, still cycling but you really loved this rider with his kid:

Carapaz will be at Gran Camino.

Carapaz, gaudu, quintana, bernal, lenny martinez, good opponents for vingegaard test himself against them.

Billy isn't particularly known for being in great form early in the season. Gaudu or Lenny Martinez? Maybe. Still, to me the question is: will the Fisherman win all stages? Or will he let it go on stage 3?

Last edited:
There's one main difference between cycling (with kids on the podiums) and other sports (without kids on the podiums). It's the absence of sportsmen from their families. In a GT, cyclist would often be isolated from their families. Not to mention their training program, altitude camps, etc. I bet kids on the podiums came naturally after being reunited with their dads after a long time.

So who are we to ban these guys sharing their joy with their kids after being away from them for so long?

Kuss is not used to being the guy calling the shots, and Roglič is too passive aggressive to voice his concerns right away (maybe he has to speak to his wife first ;) )

I'm not saying Vingegaard did much wrong, but I can understand why Roglič wasn't happy about it afterwards, cause to him it felt like a stab in the back. But it ultimately falls back on the team for having not handled the situation in the best way possible. That said, I doubt it would have been easy for Plugge to have kept them all happy if he had been around for the whole race.
There is no best way possible. They'd have invited criticism no matter what they did. If they'd told them to quit racing and make it a procession to the finish for the second half of the Vuelta, I'm pretty sure the cycling police wouldn't have enjoyed that either :) And in this particular stage, what should they have done, scream in the radio "whatever you do, do not attack! Do not attack!" ?

Yeah, if there's one guy who involves his family in every podium appearance and every interview, it's Roglic! And there's nothing wrong with that. His fans just need to chill.

There is no best way possible. They'd have invited criticism no matter what they did. If they'd told them to quit racing and make it a procession to the finish for the second half of the Vuelta, I'm pretty sure the cycling police wouldn't have enjoyed that either :) And in this particular stage, what should they have done, scream in the radio "whatever you do, do not attack! Do not attack!" ?

If they had a DS with balls, he could have said: We've agreed to work for Primoz today, so that's the plan. I'm sure he'll want to honour Nathan as well. You had your chance the other day. You're of course allowed to follow attacks to close them down, but if that ultimately puts you into a position where you can win, and Primoz is behind, then that's racing.

And they should probably have done a better job of talking that situation over with the riders afterwards and decided to neutralise the internal GC fight. Then they could have ridden for Roglič on Angliru, instead of having him throw a hissy fit.