• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Juan Ayuso discussion thread

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He was significantly better than last year and instead of being 3 min behind Mas was 1 min ahead this time. The top 3 being as good as they were clouds this imo.
We would need to check his numbers in every climbing effort but I don't think he was significantly better than last year.
Maybe marginally better. Mas can't be used as a measuring stick since his prep was altered after his TdF injury.

I'm hoping he can have a pain free winter and a full season in 2024 so we can assess his further development as a GT rider.

We would need to check his numbers in every climbing effort but I don't think he was significantly better than last year.
Maybe marginally better. Mas can't be used as a measuring stick since his prep was altered after his TdF injury.

I'm hoping he can have a pain free winter and a full season in 2024 so we can assess his further development as a GT rider.
Climbing numbers are pointless when the entire field changes along

Reactions: Sandisfan
Q from journalist: Is it true that you don't get along with Almeida? Answer: Well, what can I say? We respect each other and then what happens in the race, people can see what happens.

UAE needs to find a way to fix it or just don't make them race together. Also said that he would like to be a secondary leader on the tour next year, but that's up to the team. Doesn't know what GT, he'll do next year, but he will only do 1.

Also, I read on twitter that he answered some journalist saying that he'll do the italian classics.

https://www.relevo.com/ciclismo/la-vuelta/juan-ayuso-nivel-sentarme-mesa-20230918005803-nt.html

Q from journalist: Is it true that you don't get along with Almeida? Answer: Well, what can I say? We respect each other and then what happens in the race, people can see what happens.

UAE needs to find a way to fix it or just don't make them race together. Also said that he would like to be a secondary leader on the tour next year, but that's up to the team. Doesn't know what GT, he'll do next year, but he will only do 1.

So, Ayuso and Almeida "respect each other", Ayuso's and Almeida's contracts allow them to not ride for/with Pogačar, Ayuso is targeting only one GT next year and would like it to be the Tour - okay, it's like UAE doesn't even want to win a GT ever again.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Yeah that's true, still a lot of room to grow. Maybe when he's 25 and he still rides these results. It was just that I expect bigger jumps when they are younger. For example, Uijtdebroeks made a bigger jump from 19 => 20, imo.
Ayuso lost several months of progession due to injury though.

Frankly I read his statement about Almeida like "I have to work on myself to become a better rider. Then I'm the undisputed leader and he works for me"

If somebody drops you is that respect? In that weird way, if somebody insults you, does it means respecting you? These guys are so media coached that they cant even call a spade a spade.
I read it maybe like this; they respect each other as people outside races. (They've been training together for example). But inside the race is another beef and we can all see it.

Almeida/Ayuso is clearly not a productive co-leader pairing. But that may be down to Almeida's style of riding, especially on climbs. He's most comfortable riding his own pace rather than working for or following others.

Agree that Ayuso should go to the Tour as a helper for Pogacar. Having him, Majka/Vine and A. Yates would give Pog nearly as strong a team as Vingegaard/Roglic/Kuss. Or, at least strong enough not to be a liability.

Don't know about the Giro. Wouldn't Almeida do Giro-Vuelta logically? Unless you don't mind having Ayuso and Almeida essentially riding their own races again. Not that it worked out all that badly, but they didn't challenge Jumbo in the slightest.

I'd personally like to see Vine as a Giro co-leader. If he stays upright =and that's a big if -- I think he's got a GT podium in him. Just a feeling, not really based on results.

Reactions: Sandisfan and xo 1
Jun 20, 2023
Visit site
Agree that Ayuso should go to the Tour as a helper for Pogacar. Having him, Majka/Vine and A. Yates would give Pog nearly as strong a team as Vingegaard/Roglic/Kuss. Or, at least strong enough not to be a liability.
I agree that could be a potent lineup, but it would need delicate ego management. Still, from a fan's perspective, watching JV battle UAE would be a delight. And if Roglic escapes to Lidl-Trek, next year's Tour could be one for the ages. Vingegaard's strength merits an all-resources response.

Almeida/Ayuso is clearly not a productive co-leader pairing. But that may be down to Almeida's style of riding, especially on climbs. He's most comfortable riding his own pace rather than working for or following others.

Don't know about the Giro. Wouldn't Almeida do Giro-Vuelta logically? Unless you don't mind having Ayuso and Almeida essentially riding their own races again. Not that it worked out all that badly, but they didn't challenge Jumbo in the slightest.

I'd personally like to see Vine as a Giro co-leader. If he stays upright =and that's a big if -- I think he's got a GT podium in him. Just a feeling, not really based on results.
Pogi's team was pretty strong this year as well. Remember after stage 1 everyone said: wow, Vingegaard is going to have a hard time beating both Pogacar and Yates! It's one thing having a strong team, you also have to use them. In the end it was mostly just Yates doing leadouts for Pogi.