• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Juan Ayuso discussion thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
His 2022 so far is comparable to Pogi's 2019. The difference being he has yet to take his first victory. Pogi in 2019 won a stage and GC in Algarve and then later in May he won Tour of California. It'll be difficult for Ayuso to match that, because there's no more WT stage races as weak in terms of participants as Tour of California was back then. Maybe his best bet in the near future is Tour de Romandie without Pogi and Rogla on the startlist. Even if he doesn't take a win in the process and he just confirms what good he's done in Catalunya with a solid top 10 (even better a top5) in both Itzulia and Romandie, it'll all be comparable to Pogi's pre Vuelta performances in 2019 IMO.

And Ayuso is 1 year younger than Pog in 2019. That being said, Pog's Vuelta that year will be tough to beat for Ayuso (no matter, this year or next).

Mar 31, 2022
Visit site
We know that Remco was the best teenager in the 21st Century.
Can Ayuso surpass him ?

Here are Remco's best pro results before turning 20 :

• 1st Clásica San Sebastian
  • 1st Belgium Tour
  • 1st EC ITT
  • 2nd at WC ITT
with a total of 6 pro wins - 1 WT win (Clásica)

Can Ayuso, who turns 20 in mid-september of this year, surpass those achievements and become the best pro teenager of the 21st century ?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
We know that Remco was the best teenager in the 21st Century.
Can Ayuso surpass him ?

Here are Remco's best pro results before turning 20 :

• 1st Clásica San Sebastian
  • 1st Belgium Tour
  • 1st EC ITT
  • 2nd at WC ITT
with a total of 6 pro wins - 1 WT win (Clásica)

Can Ayuso, who turns 20 in mid-september of this year, surpass those achievements and become the best pro teenager of the 21st century ?
Strictly going by age, Ayuso is currently well behind on Evenepoel. At 19 years and 6months and a half (Ayuso's current age) Evenepoel had already achieved all of those wins (except the silver WCC medal). He (Ayuso) does have the advantage that he can use up the full extend of his time left before turning 20. While Evenepoel basically had 5 wasted months (during winter) before turning 20 in which he otherwise might have been able to win extra races. Especially considering he started by winning 2 races in the week after turning 20.

• Wow
Mar 31, 2022
Visit site
In terms of wins I agree with what you said : Remco is ahead of Ayuso. Remco was a great winner right from the start.
But saying Ayuso is "well behind" seems a bit far-fetched to me, considering that Remco, at 19 years and 6 months, had never had a result as impressive (in a stage race) as Ayuso's 5th place in Catalunya.

In terms of wins I agree with what you said : Remco is ahead of Ayuso. Remco was a great winner right from the start.
But saying Ayuso is "well behind" seems a bit far-fetched to me, considering that Remco, at 19 years and 6 months, had never had a result as impressive (in a stage race) as Ayuso's 5th place in Catalunya.
Ayuso, by virtue of being born in September, has the advantage of having raced a full year after his junior years and do races like Avenir and Baby Giro, before stepping up to full pro level. He then still has a full season to get results before turning 20 in his 2nd season after leaving juniors. If Evenepoel would have done a season to ride Avenir and Baby Giro at U23, he would not have been able to race one day as a pro before turning 20. As such it is only normal for Ayuso to have an advantage in such races.
Furthermore you started listing victories to compare, i was only stating which victories Evenepoel already had at the same age. And in terms of victories Ayuso is indeed well behind, considering 2nd place or 5th place doesn't count. But like i said, Evenepoel did not have the option to keep winning in the last 5 months before turning 20 because the season was over and it was winter.

Strictly going by age, Ayuso is currently well behind on Evenepoel. At 19 years and 6months and a half (Ayuso's current age) Evenepoel had already achieved all of those wins (except the silver WCC medal). He (Ayuso) does have the advantage that he can use up the full extend of his time left before turning 20. While Evenepoel basically had 5 wasted months (during winter) before turning 20 in which he otherwise might have been able to win extra races. Especially considering he started by winning 2 races in the week after turning 20.

You could make the same argument that Ayuso wasted the last 5 months with the winter break and building up a form since he turned 19... Anyways, we should be celebrating having all this young talent, not making comparisons that are really not possible with such short careers.

You could make the same argument that Ayuso wasted the last 5 months with the winter break and building up a form since he turned 19... Anyways, we should be celebrating having all this young talent, not making comparisons that are really not possible with such short careers.
No you could not make that argument. Especially with a rider that age, 5 of 6 months can make a big difference. It means his body will be stronger in the last 6 months before turning 20 than in the first 6 months after turning 19. There is also the matter of having had an entire season to get accustomed to a much higher level before entering a nearly full season (he turns 20 september 19th) in which you can focus on results. The transition is therefor a lot easier than coming out of the juniors and having to do everything in one season, on top of not having the opportunity to use the final 6 months of your physical growth before turning 20.

Also note that i wasn't the one who started to compare, i merely made observations.

Very interested in his TT. I think Vlasov and possibly Dennis will be too strong, but i think he could finish on the GC podium, which would be a great result in any case. Maybe Plapp could be a threat for a podium spot if he can still TT like he could before he turned into a climbing domestique.

Last edited:
19e valenciana
5e catalunya
4e romandia
Dauphine podium?
I doubt that very much, considering the opposition in Romandie (which was rather weak). I mean, if you finish behind Mäder and Geschke in Romandie, that doesn't bode well for a podium in Dauphiné. But i guess you were somewhat kidding.

Regardless, he did as good as one could reasonably expect. He seems very attentive and consistent as well.

TRENDING THREADS