• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Juan Ayuso discussion thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not a bad showing today, he seems to be in good form

FOjdR21XMBAZmik

Guys, what type of rider is Ayuso? Is he sort of between, lets say, Contador and Valverde? He seems explosive, but I wonder how good his GT level is, his TT etc. Seems to me that UAE has the two biggest stage race talents in the world atm, but then again, I haven't followed Ayuso at all.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Guys, what type of rider is Ayuso? Is he sort of between, lets say, Contador and Valverde? He seems explosive, but I wonder how good his GT level is, his TT etc. Seems to me that UAE has the two biggest stage race talents in the world atm, but then again, I haven't followed Ayuso at all.
Still early to say but from what I've seen there's nothing he can't do. Very explosive but digs longer climbs as well, competent TTer. Recovery and endurance needs to be tested at this level, but I have a feeling he's like Pog 2.0

In the u23 ranks he rode the high mountain stages like Robo-Basso. Really short accelerations to get an initial gap and then he extended it and crushed everyone by riding tempo.

If this was turned out into a circus at Catalunya we need to congratulate UAE DS. I don't blame any of the riders for their bad team performance, only the DS. Especially on stage 6 in which they could catch the break if the DS was clear in the orientations to all the UAE riders before and during the stage. I never saw a team not working to their full extent to the rider that was wearing the leader's jersey in a stage that would define the final GC classification. I don´t believe that a 19 years old youngster dispite all his ambition and potential wouldn't work for Almeida if he was clearly told to by his DS.

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
His 2022 so far is comparable to Pogi's 2019. The difference being he has yet to take his first victory. Pogi in 2019 won a stage and GC in Algarve and then later in May he won Tour of California. It'll be difficult for Ayuso to match that, because there's no more WT stage races as weak in terms of participants as Tour of California was back then. Maybe his best bet in the near future is Tour de Romandie without Pogi and Rogla on the startlist. Even if he doesn't take a win in the process and he just confirms what good he's done in Catalunya with a solid top 10 (even better a top5) in both Itzulia and Romandie, it'll all be comparable to Pogi's pre Vuelta performances in 2019 IMO.

Good to see Ayuso riding Basque Country next week. I was really impressed how well he did in Catalunya. He was fifth in the final GC, which is really strong for a 19-year-old.

The six days of Basque Country should suit him well. He seems to be healthy, and I bet it was him who decided to race Basque Country. The team itself seems to treat him carefully and without unnecessary pressure.

So for him as a Spanish rider, it‘s great to get to know Catalunya and Basque Country already in 2022. I think a Top-10 or Top-15 result in the final GC of the Tour of the Basque Country would be another nice success for him. Another Top-5 seems rather unrealistic, since the startlist is stronger than in Catalunya, and the stages are ridden even more aggressively…

TRENDING THREADS