• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Juan Ayuso discussion thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Back to the thread‘s topic: Ayuso is surely going to compete for the win in Grand Tours very soon with that TT and the climbing he‘s already shown. If he looks good in the mountains they could think about taking him to the Tour to pressure Vingegaard with 1-2 attacks but they‘re absolutely not gonna do that because they probably don‘t want to put Ayuso into pressure situations like that this year before possibly the Vuelta.
I disagree about this. I don't think Ayuso hasn't shown the climbing of a GT winner yet, and that's also more important than the TTing. The last 4 Giro's have been won by sub elite TTers.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
I agree, but how many riders are in the group of six now?

But what I really came here to say is he came off well in the interview afterwards as well.

My prediction is that next year Ayuso replaces Roglic on that group.

I see him occupying a similar niche to Roglic actually. Good time trialist especially on hillier courses like today, a really good climber and with one of the best sprints among GC riders. Could win many stage races and a few classics too.

I disagree about this. I don't think Ayuso hasn't shown the climbing of a GT winner yet, and that's also more important than the TTing. The last 4 Giro's have been won by sub elite TTers.

If all goes well, none of the 4 will compete for the vuelta. (might change with crashes). So given the others, i think it is safe to say he will compete/contend with them. (he wasn't that far of last year in vuelta compared to the others).
Winning is always hard to say unless you are really one of the current 4., but lesser riders have won a GT.

If all goes well, none of the 4 will compete for the vuelta. (might change with crashes). So given the others, i think it is safe to say he will compete/contend with them. (he wasn't that far of last year in vuelta compared to the others).
Roglic will likely be there, and in a better shape than last year.

Ayuso needs to be a lot stronger to win the Vuelta, and with him being as young as he is, that's not impossible.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The criteria are literally in the tweet.

Evenepoel didn't win a WT ITT until Switserland last yaer, though I don't know how Euro's are categorized. Most of this is coincidental ofcourse, this TT field, especially for this course is very weak.

Tweet did NOT say World Tour. And I have never ever heard of the Big 7. Ridiculous denotation. I mean FFS is UAE tour one of them? That is an absolute zero of a race that simply put up money to the UCI.

He was 2nd at age 19 of the Worlds which says way more anyway. Particularly since few races have TTs anymore.

Roglic will likely be there, and in a better shape than last year.

Ayuso needs to be a lot stronger to win the Vuelta, and with him being as young as he is, that's not impossible.
Ah, yeah if roglic is going its a tuff battle, but maybe it will depend on him to make the action. So we can only hope in that case ;)

Tweet did NOT say World Tour. And I have never ever heard of the Big 7. Ridiculous.

He was 2nd at age 19 of the Worlds which says way more anyway. Particularly since few races have TTs anymore.
tweet said GT and the Big-7 1 week stage races. (you know the one which roglic almost all won). Also the tweet mentionned it took random something. So i'm guessing he just looked at a few results for that, not of every rider. Its just a feel good statistic, why be bothered about it? Tweet isn't about making him better than others in TTer, just that he did a great accomplishment for someone his age. (Live with the fact that in many statistics Remco won't show up because he hasn't participated in that many WT races by choice of QS. No need to get into a fuss about it :))

Last edited:
Oh, I must have overrated him but he seems to be very similar to Pogačar and he is on a similar career trajectory. I don‘t expect him to be the new Pogačar because that would be unbelievable and ridiculous but I think any professional road cyclist still has room for improvement at age 20 and Ayuso seems in prime position to compete for Grand Tours soon. I don‘t think he can win one this year, especially after I went back and checked on his Vuelta last year where he really didn‘t show a GT winner level.

I still think Ayuso going to the Tour to mess things up in the Pyrenees could work if Pog brings his climbing legs to keep up with Vingegaard but the cost-benefit calculation isn‘t favorable there.
Also, Ayuso seems to be a good descender, I‘ve read and I hope he puts that to good use because that type of GC rider is what‘s missing from the sport at the moment.

Oh, I must have overrated him but he seems to be very similar to Pogačar and he is on a similar career trajectory. I don‘t expect him to be the new Pogačar because that would be unbelievable and ridiculous but I think any professional road cyclist still has room for improvement at age 20 and Ayuso seems in prime position to compete for Grand Tours soon. I don‘t think he can win one this year, especially after I went back and checked on his Vuelta last year where he really didn‘t show a GT winner level.

I still think Ayuso going to the Tour to mess things up in the Pyrenees could work if Pog brings his climbing legs to keep up with Vingegaard but the cost-benefit calculation isn‘t favorable there.
Also, Ayuso seems to be a good descender, I‘ve read and I hope he puts that to good use because that type of GC rider is what‘s missing from the sport at the moment.
You don't necessarily overrate Ayusos potential, but maybe we do disagree on how to rate the level of last years Vuelta specifically. He was not close to winning last year, and I don't remember him being even the 2nd best climber on any big mountain stage last year.

As for the comparison to Pogacar. Pogacar didn't just get 3rd in 2019, he won 3 mountain stages in what was likely a stronger field, so while he was inconsistent that Vuelta, I think his Vuelta was definitely more impressive than Ayusos.

And before the 2020 Tour a lot of people were still not that high on Pogacar either.

I didn't hear the interview but I have heard that Ayuso doesn't have the nicest reputation im the bunch. He isn't the friendliest of people is what they have said a few times…

What I have heard as well.

Also the way he has ridden with complete disregard for his teammates.

And there is something really not very endearing about the fact that his dad paid for him to be trained by a pro coach practically since he came out of the womb.

Last edited:

And there is something really not very endearing about the fact that his dad paid for him to be trained by a pro coach practically since he came out of the womb.

Very Merckxian in that regard. Mercks on his infamous 1969 TDF breakaway stage wouldn't let his teammate lead over the Tourmalet. HIs teammate decided he wasn't riding for Merckx any more that day. No problem for Merckx

Better a pro coach then some friend of a friend into wellness, crystals and nutrition. Sounds like a better experience then Wiggins had.

TRENDING THREADS