• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Juan Ayuso discussion thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just saying, if someone had that career trajectory 5 years ago we would all lose our minds. Will he become the next big thing? Hard to say with so many next big things already around. But I once used that logic to discredit Pogacar so I'm not gonna make the same mistake again.
Yes, the old Bernal vs Evenepoel vs Pogacar thread.

I think the competition argument more compelling right now because Evenepoel and Pogacar have matured into such absolute world beaters and Vingegaard has appeared out of nowhere by 2020 narrative standards, and Roglic probably is rated higher compared to the rest of the field right now than he was in 2019 / early 2020.

I don't think you can deny Ayuso's 2022 season is behind Pogacars 2019 season, but then the question is how is that extra year Ayuso is younger worth.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Aight, so know everybody knows that California is no longer a race, does anybody know what the schedule might look like? Maybe you just ignore the joke that is May completely now, and focus on Suisse, San Sebastian, Burgos and Vuelta. That should be a pretty standard schedule with some good training in May and July without any racing and trying to catch up for everything he didn't do earlier.

Aight, so know everybody knows that California is no longer a race, does anybody know what the schedule might look like? Maybe you just ignore the joke that is May completely now, and focus on Suisse, San Sebastian, Burgos and Vuelta. That should be a pretty standard schedule with some good training in May and July without any racing and trying to catch up for everything he didn't do earlier.

some of the Spanish race UAE will ride

Villafranca-Orditza on 25/7
Vuelta Castilla y Leon on 26-27/7
San Sebastian on 29/07
Circuito Getxo on 30/7
Vuelta Burgos 15-19/8

Vuelta starts on 26/8

In his post-race interview, he said he'd only race again before Suisse if he started to feel good, but that it's unlikely due to his health issue.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Offline and noob
In my opinion, there is still clear progress to be seen. In romandia he was 27th in the 1st mountain stage and lost 3:28. yesterday he was 3rd in a tough mountain stage and today he was 14th and lost "only" 49 seconds against Evenepoel
Why are you using Evenepoel, who is clearly sub-par himself, as the reference? He lost 2 minutes to Gall, who is hardly Pogacar. In case of Skjelmose and Evenepoel, you could even say they had the luxury of letting Gall take time, so maybe they could have gone even faster. In Ayuso's case, that's not true because he couldn't afford to lose time to Skjelmose and Evenepoel.

It was a bad day, and clearly Ayuso is still finding his form. Let's see tomorrow. But even if that doesn't turn out great either, i have no doubt in his potential. What he showed last year in the Vuelta was too good to doubt him now.

Why are you using Evenepoel, who is clearly sub-par himself, as the reference? He lost 2 minutes to Gall, who is hardly Pogacar. In case of Skjelmose and Evenepoel, you could even say they had the luxury of letting Gall take time, so maybe they could have gone even faster. In Ayuso's case, that's not true because he couldn't afford to lose time to Skjelmose and Evenepoel.

It was a bad day, and clearly Ayuso is still finding his form. Let's see tomorrow. But even if that doesn't turn out great either, i have no doubt in his potential. What he showed last year in the Vuelta was too good to doubt him now.
100%

If this is him being mediocre, it's actually even convincing. Others would be horse crap being mediocre. He still wins TT's at Romandie and probably gets a Top 5 at the Tour de Suisse.

It remains to be seen whether he's supreme at the Vuelta a Espana however.

If so, it's not hard to imagine that he's someone who's able to sustain an attack by gradually running out with a steady rhythm after creating a gap.

Quite a different showing today. Great win.

FyrXrJ5XgAALbEa

TRENDING THREADS