• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jumbo - QuickStep merger

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hopefully, this will turn out to be as ridiculous a rumour as the Evenepoel-to-Ineos one.

If I think about the teams personnel I agree
but if this takeover-merger happens, there will be 1 more GT wild card
if Lotto doesn't buy the vacating WT license (and Israel buys it) they could skip the Giro again, so there's be a Giro WC for Bardiani, Eolo-Polti, Tudor, Q36.5
TDF: Lotto, Uno-X, Total, and 1 more
Vuelta: Lotto, Caja, Euskaltel, Burgos/Kern

and if it happens I don't think Remco will stay with Plugge, and Remco wearing an Ineos jersey could become true ;)

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't know their contracts and I doubt you do either?

But if you have a contract with X and X becomes Y, then legally it seems Y is a new entity. I am reaching here, but you catch my drift I think.

🙃😀
But is that not the difference between a merger and a takeover? In a true merger, the assets and responsibilities of both parties remain. Where there is duplication, the new combined entity either has excess assets to sell, or financial resposibility for resources that it cannot use or contracts that it no longer needs, so disruption follows, but the merged entity decides which to retain and which to discard.

And we really don't know whether we are looking at a merger, or simply the closure of a team and a sponsor moving, with a preferred, but by no means obligatory, future path for some of the resources of that team..

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Leipheimer & Contador went to Astana, because they had a valid contract with Bruyneel.

Was that because Bruyneel took over Astana's then paying agent?

If so, how did most Astana riders transfer to Radioshack, but Contador was contractual bounded to Astana for 2010? Did he prolong his contract with the "sponsor Astana" itself or was it some sort of deal made which never was published?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
It all hangs off the paying agent. Essentially a merger isn't technically possible. One team is disbanded completely because the UCI rules do not allow one merged team to have two paying agents afaik.
The legal entity that owns the UCI license and has Soudal as an advertising partner need not disband just because it gives up a UCI license.

Some riders have individual sponsorships that supplement or compose the majority of their salary. Wout wears that awful helmet for example. So I don't think it's a problem if a lot of your salary comes from somewhere outside a UCI team. (Sort of an exploitable loophole for all those rider salary protections the UCI attempts to enforce, but then what UCI regulation doesn't have a loophole?)

Reactions: Sandisfan and xo 1
The legal entity that owns the UCI license and has Soudal as an advertising partner need not disband just because it gives up a UCI license.

Some riders have individual sponsorships that supplement or compose the majority of their salary. Wout wears that awful helmet for example. So I don't think it's a problem if a lot of your salary comes from somewhere outside a UCI team. (Sort of an exploitable loophole for all those rider salary protections the UCI attempts to enforce, but then what UCI regulation doesn't have a loophole?)
Of course they disband, there's one licence owner and one paying agent that either registers the team and contracted riders for the following season or they don't. If they don't, the number of UCI world tour teams is 1 team less. Individual contracts from the disbanded team can of course be renegotiated with the paying agent absorbing them though obviously, but many contracts are also made invalid so those riders are free to search for new teams.

Last edited: