• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jumbo - QuickStep merger

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nah, Patrick isn't retrying. He is moving on to sit at JV table. This legal stunt is not about caring for SOQ staff. It's a strategy on how to get Deceuninck out of existing contract obligations, without paying much for it. First pay up then Patrick can move on. Just like next employee needed to pay, to get Rogla.

I think Lefevre (and the riders left) will be fine with that.

If they still can keep Merlier they will be competitive in a lot of races. Lamperti is a massive talent and can win smaller races. Hirt and Masnada can go to the Giro and not be useless. If Van Wilder stays (which I think could be possible after his interview) he can do well. Lecerf and Srvcek also.

And we might see Landa as QuickStep GT-leader?

My points is that they would literally loose half their budget. QS riders have not signed for a team with limited budget, a team where performance is probably *** because of it. Some riders will be fine with, others probably not at all (and they can't even legally leave now). They would literally be a bottom WT team with that budget, and with the difference that they're overpaying certain riders meaning they can't invest in other things.

So they absolutely have to find other sponsors immediately or this just looks completely impossible to me. I think it's a good thing for staff and a few riders that aren't able to find another team, but for the riders that actually have other good opportunities, this actually might not be the best thing for their career.

Anyways that's not the thing I'm most confused about, more about who will be leading that new QS. Bakalla can't have a stake in it if he's involved with Visma, neither can Lefevere.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and xo 1
Nah, Patrick isn't retrying. He is moving on to sit at JV table. This legal stunt is not about caring for SOQ staff. It's a strategy on how to get Deceuninck out of existing contract obligations, without paying much for it. First pay up then Patrick can move on. Just like next employee needed to pay, to get Rogla.
He’s just in the board of the new team, that’s not a big role at all. That’s just giving advise when neededz

Reactions: Sandisfan
He’s just in the board of the new team, that’s not a big role at all. That’s just giving advise when neededz

I am perfectly OK with teams merging and Patrick moving on and things like that. It's life. Still, existing contracts should be compensated and for all parties to agree. Before a sponsor, such as Deceuninck, to be allowed to move on. After all that happens, signing for Saint Patrick or any other team is left to individuals looking for a new job.

Bottom line, the merger should cost a couple of millions more, compared to going out cheap and selling some naive hope. It's not like money is the problem. There is more then enough money involved.

My points is that they would literally loose half their budget. QS riders have not signed for a team with limited budget, a team where performance is probably *** because of it. Some riders will be fine with, others probably not at all (and they can't even legally leave now). They would literally be a bottom WT team with that budget, and with the difference that they're overpaying certain riders meaning they can't invest in other things.

So they absolutely have to find other sponsors immediately or this just looks completely impossible to me. I think it's a good thing for staff and a few riders that aren't able to find another team, but for the riders that actually have other good opportunities, this actually might not be the best thing for their career.

Anyways that's not the thing I'm most confused about, more about who will be leading that new QS. Bakalla can't have a stake in it if he's involved with Visma, neither can Lefevere.
Wouldn't Soudal-Visma have to buy out Team Remco's contracts and if Ala moves too that's a bit of extra cash.

Reactions: jmdirt
so it was really a matter of Soudal wanting away from Lefevere, spurred by Remco?
I don't think Soudal really care one way or the other. It's Bakala who's done with Lefevere.

Wouldn't Soudal-Visma have to buy out Team Remco's contracts and if Ala moves too that's a bit of extra cash.
Bakala owns 80% of that team. I'm just guessing he's not going to manoeuvre himself into such a situation that he loses his share and then still has to buy out the rider he really wants.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Wait, there are Patrick Lefevere fans in the forum now? This is like the Paris bedbug situation all over again
Laughing pretty hard and bike racing is becoming the new foundation or art gallery circuit for mega corporations and the ultra rich..Patrick will just posture himself to be the experienced bicycle bookkeeper for some super rich sponsor and earmark some salary and expenses money and stay status quo..should be interesting to see how much skin he will have in the game..
* side story* in NYC when there was a bedbug discovery.. The victim would take the infected mattress or pieces of upholstered furniture out on the curb. And often using spray paint or bold marker to write " bedbugs!!! " I would walk or ride by on my bike and without fail, someone would be trying to take the infected things thinking that they could somehow clean it and use it..and the cycle continues.. I will watch Paris to see how they do.. It's a real war against those critters..

Reactions: jmdirt
Patrick Lefevere is working on a 'shelter team' for victims of takeover

They should call themselves The Expendables.