• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Junior racing - The stars of the future

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ps; and after his disappointment yesterday Ramses decided to race today as well and won the the race (ok; a vlaams kermiskoerske, not really a reference ;-)).
To be clear, i did not doubt the qualities of De Lie, who i consider to be a much better finisher (and more likely to win many races) but i consider Debruyne to be a better climber under normal circumstances who does very well on a hard course. Maybe the race was not selective enough, maybe Debruyne needed more racedays and didn't get his form up due to Covid, or maybe race circumstances didn't favor him. I'll let you know in the future if my expectations were too high :)

Reactions: Walter1234
...but i consider Debruyne to be a better climber under normal circumstances who does very well on a hard course. Maybe the race was not selective enough, maybe Debruyne needed more racedays and didn't get his form up due to Covid, or maybe race circumstances didn't favor him. I'll let you know in the future if my expectations were too high :)
There was a comment from Debruyne's father he had suffered from the cold weather. But we know all how protective fathers are ;-).

I am developing quite an interest in this young lady:

Anniina Ahtosalo (procyclingstats.com)

Who has just won the Piccolo Trofeo Alfredo Binda. She has also been double junior national champion three years in a row. And since her birthday is in August, that means that - yeah... - she ws 14 when she won first time! Of couse, it's entirely possibly that there were only three riders starting each time.

I'm also pretty impressed by her winning the race in litterally no time

First bigger international UCI race (that is not in Turkey) this season with Grand Prix West Bohemia. It's a rolling course with the weather making it more difficult as its raining.
Startlist is pretty solid. Auto Eder are the big favourites after their recent dominance in Austria. Uijtdebroeks is back racing after his illness and is Nr.1 favourite. Luis Lührs won yesterdays opening criterium while Matteo Gross showed he made the step up without problems so far. The three austrians of the team (Schrettl, Eckerstorfer, Hajek) all come directly from ITT nationals yesterday and especially Hajek should like this course.

Other then them there are lots of czechs of whom someone like Novak could do good here. A few Poles with Gajdulewicz probably being the best and Hungarians with Willbrordts Bence Meszaros being strong. Willebrordt also have Lars Rouffaer and Leevi Kervinen who could like this as well as Bart Hordijk.
Austrian national team will come with the two "best of the rest" behind Auto Eder at Radliga races, Moritz Hörandtner and Leo Kerschbaumer.
Then there is a german national team which has Benni Boos, 3rd at yesterdays criterium, Cedric Abt, a good climber, and Moritz Kärsten who could be one of the strongest juniors this year in Europe.
Several german state teams too with riders to look out for like Unterberger for Brandenburg, Gebhardt and Genzmer for Stevens Thüringen and Tobias Müller for Rose NRW.
Lastly the Cannibal team with Frank Ragilo.

Obviously this being the juniors and one of the first races of the season there is always a lot of guys showing up that no one knows and that could be better than expected. My guess is that Auto Eder will dominate the race and make it hard with Uijtdebroeks winning solo in the end. Lets see how many non Auto Eder guys can hold on.

Stream from 12.30 CET:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtie05iHtgs

(Results from U17 race currently running through)

So, Cian Uijtdebroeks, 18 years old, last year heralded as "better than Evenepoel at his age", also participated in the Containercup (a tv show where athletes enter a shipping container, with 7 physical tests). On the hometrainer, he only did 2 seconds slower than Mathieu van der Poel (who won the overall contest last year). He managed the same time as Philipsen, was one second slower than Declercq and 12 slower than van Aert. He was faster van Avermaet, Lampaert, Naesen, Evenepoel etc.

It should be pointed out, that Uijtdebroeks is a climber, which makes his effort the more impressive compared to the classics guys, but that he is also a lot taller than Evenepoel, and that the machine does not take into account weight or Cda of a rider, just looks at the pure watts.

Another dominant performance by Uijtdebroeks in Classique Alpes Juniors.

01 Cian Uijtdebroeks Team Auto Eder
3:27:13​
02 Luis-Joe Lührs Team Auto Eder
+ 4:16​
03 Lenny Martinez Bourgogne Franche Comté
+ 6:06​
04 Pietro Mattio Piemonte
+ 7:05​
05 Colin Savioz Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes
+ 7:45​
06 Alexander Hajek Team Auto Eder
+ 8:30​