• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Junior racing - The stars of the future

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bit of a silly question;
Is the Crabbé-Dstny 19 team allowed to field all their Belgian riders at the Belgian RR? Because, I feel like the might have a... slight numerical advantage...

They need to have a lot of riders in the races, since they're too shellfish to want to work for one another.

Last edited:
View: https://twitter.com/ciclismecat/status/1764261405241307168

In a few years time this will be a result for the history books: Adria Pericas vs. Hector Alvarez. I believe this was their first ever direct confrontation, going to the line together. It has been known for a while that Alvarez will join Lidl-Trek next year, and those in the know say that Pericas will join UAE (of course...). Marcos Freire was 3rd, it is said that he, too, will go to UAE (of course...). Lastly, I would like to make mention of Gerard Mora. After last years showing by Adria Regada, who is now with Caja, we have found a second flying Andorran.

Reactions: Sandisfan
View: https://twitter.com/ciclismecat/status/1764261405241307168

In a few years time this will be a result for the history books: Adria Pericas vs. Hector Alvarez. I believe this was their first ever direct confrontation, going to the line together. It has been known for a while that Alvarez will join Lidl-Trek next year, and those in the know say that Pericas will join UAE (of course...). Marcos Freire was 3rd, it is said that he, too, will go to UAE (of course...). Lastly, I would like to make mention of Gerard Mora. After last years showing by Adria Regada, who is now with Caja, we have found a second flying Andorran.

UAE got some great spanish climber talents!

Juan Ayuso
Igor Arrieta
Pablo Torres
Adria Pericas

Nokere is tomorrow. Once again, the startlist isn't the greatest in history, but we got a few more interesting first years debuting here. In particular I am interested in Gijs Schoonvelde, who quite firmly overtook Michiel Mouris as the best Dutch rider last year in the U17s, and Senne Brys. Brys is relatively new in cycling, but won some big races, namely Gent-Wevelgem and the Belgian championships. They're on JEGG-DJR though (junior affiliate of Visma) and that team is stacked to the brim.

It would also appear FDJ has set up their junior team. In previous years, their relations to junior riders went as far as sponsorships, not an official team. They have Baptiste Gregoire (younger brother of) and Matteo Moncoutie (son of). Also very much interested in seeing the development of Jakob Omrzel, Finlay Tarling, Kasper Borremans. I would put Remijn up as overall favourite.

So behind all the hassle that is Milano Sanremo, the Guido Reybroeck also started yesterday. Important warm-up race in regards to Roubaix. Got a few debuts from guys who we'll hear a lot from in the two coming years, namely two Germans (Zeno Winter and Benedikt Benz) and a Dane (Noah Moller). However, my eye is particularly on Thibaut Van Damme from Belgium. Originally a track rider, but was borderline unbeatable in the Belgian U17 scene. Jack of all trades, but mainly a time trialist. I think he's capable of doing some big things this year already, despite only turning 16 this past September.

Might as well rename this to the Ashlin Barry corner. He won yesterday, but bigger news might be that he did not win the opening time trial in Phoenix. No idea what happened there, but times were so fast even Aidan Sebel, who finished 13th by the way, tied the previous course record set by one Andrew August. Must have been some crazy winds.

More importantly, I managed to pick up some of his schedule. Not so surprising, the main events will be in Roubaix and the World Championships (both on the track and the road). More so, he will join US Cycling in some of the Nations Cup. No races disclosed, but it doesn't take a genius to think it'll be the Peace Race amongst others. Good news, as it's not always a given USA bothers to show up. The Albert Withen Philipsen showdown is calling..

Also, he was apparently born in Spain. Never knew that. The more you know..
Debut happening this weekend, in Tour du Bocage. Two day stage race, three stages.

Keep your eyes on this kid:

Today Team ColoQuick did the same lead out they did with Vingegaard in 2018, which essentially got him noticed by Visma.

Peter Øxenberg blew Vingegaard and Ayuso out of the water today:

Btw, loosely translated "Øxenberg" means "Axe Mountain" :p

• Wow
Keep your eyes on this kid:

Today Team ColoQuick did the same lead out they did with Vingegaard in 2018, which essentially got him noticed by Visma.

Peter Øxenberg blew Vingegaard and Ayuso out of the water today:

Btw, loosely translated "Øxenberg" means "Axe Mountain" :p

He's not a junior.
There is a U23 thread, somewhere.

It's very telling Barry just came to Europe and in his first international race against very serious competition immediately gets a W, after toying with competition on the track earlier this year. As mentioned, if logic is to be respected he'll win tomorrow morning too. It's genuinely something I have never seen before, despite all those phenoms we are seeing currently. April 7th can't come soon enough, for Albert awaits.

He's going to have Philipsen levels of offers from WT teams by the end of the year. Think anyone that follows the american scene knew this was coming as soon as he hit juniors.
Yep, 100%. As little as I like it because I do not want to push someone who is essentially a kid into some sort of bidding war, he already should have tbh. This was never a question of if, but when.

There hasn't been a rider in recent memory, maybe even ever to come into the junior scene with the resume that Ashlin Barry does. We all know the stories about Valverde being so ridiculously good that the parents of his competition would call to races to see if he would come, and if the answer was yes they'd go elsewhere, but this, in this day and age...

He is obviously part of the junior structure of EF, Specialized and specifically QuickStep have been dying to find an American prodigy, Visma and INEOS are quite keen on Americans lately, UAE will probably again throw infinite money against the wall. This might even out-do Albert Withen Philipsen levels.

Reactions: hayneplane