• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV talks, sort of

Page 199 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I think JV is now re-watching LBL highlights to feel better :D Garmin worse luck as always at le Tour and now not even in the standings. Team Prize? :D

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
"I just don't know".....what a cop out!

It is called doping and Sky are either ahead of the game or have bought ASO/UCI like others before them.

What do you expect him to say?

It's OK for anyone on the forum to say the above but what more can he say in his current position.

I think the "I just don't know" comment is telling enough of how he's currently thinking.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
JV last seen drinking in a bar alone mumbling about missing the prom.

Walsh might be boosing at the same bar, mumbling something about "reputation, not seeing the obvious, why did i not listen to Paul...."

As I prediected, this Tour will rip the main plank from the platform JV and his like have been standing on to assert the sport is cleaner. They have been using the argument that climbing speeds are down so the doping must be down, but most of what they have pointed to is the Tour, the last two editions of which were pretty pathetic. Once other riders showed up ready to race, the speeds went right back to where they were a decade ago.

BroDeal said:
As I prediected, this Tour will rip the main plank from the platform JV and his like have been standing on to assert the sport is cleaner. They have been using the argument that climbing speeds are down so the doping must be down, but most of what they have pointed to is the Tour, the last two editions of which were pretty pathetic. Once other riders showed up ready to race, the speeds went right back to where they were a decade ago.

In fairness, Froome is so far ahead of the rest, its unreal. Someone posted a link in the other thread in how todays times stacked up to previous years. Froome is 3rd overall, Porte is 22nd and then you have to drop to 34th for Valverde and the rest much further back, Contador 68th so overall the times are slower with the exception of the SKY boys who are a joke.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
What do you expect him to say?

It's OK for anyone on the forum to say the above but what more can he say in his current position.

I think the "I just don't know" comment is telling enough of how he's currently thinking.

For a guy who has been boasting about a cleanER sport and taking lots of the praise, while flashing his MBA, all he can say is "I dont know", pretty inarticulate from a guy who fancies his articulateness......

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
As far as @vaughters comments on Twitter......What the heck do you want him to say? He is a Team Owner/Manager of a World Tour Team. He has to do business with ASO/UCI/SKY. Do you want him to scream doping? Do you want him to call out everyone? He needs facts! He needs solid info to do it! If he just lashes out without that info. He looks like an @55! He had the goods on US Postal from his guys and his time as a rider. He has to handle it differently now. Given his current position. I think his comments today speak volumes. He went to "that line" but did not cross it.JMHO

thehook said:
As far as @vaughters comments on Twitter......What the heck do you want him to say? He is a Team Owner/Manager of a World Tour Team. He has to do business with ASO/UCI/SKY. Do you want him to scream doping? Do you want him to call out everyone? He needs facts! He needs solid info to do it! If he just lashes out without that info. He looks like an @55! He had the goods on US Postal from his guys and his time as a rider. He has to handle it differently now. Given his current position. I think his comments today speak volumes. He went to "that line" but did not cross it.JMHO

I agree. However he could try and talk some sense into the Millar clown, I mean the guy is on the payroll.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Vaughter's had no facts the sport was cleanER, he pointed to times being slower, pointing to power outputs etc etc

Today Froome 3rd fastest up Aix3, faster than lots of known dopers, fact.

Lets hear Vaughter's comment on that fact, not some stupid, "I dont know"..

vrusimov said:
"Actually, Froome's time over the man part of the climb was faster than Armstrong managed in 2001. Veloclinic have posted the following calculations for the climb:"

Stage 8. Ax-3-Domaines (first 7.85 km, 8.30 %, 651 m). Chris Froome: 21 min 41 sec, 21.72 Kph, VAM; 1801 m/h, 6.37 W/kg

http://veloclinic.tumblr.com/post/54770388624/tour-de-france-2013-stage-8-dpvam-ax3-warning-shot

Benotti69 said:
Vaughter's had no facts the sport was cleanER, he pointed to times being slower, pointing to power outputs etc etc

Froome was actually faster than Armstrong during the climb! :eek:

Benotti69 said:

That "I don't know" is an acknowledgment that Froome's performance doesn't fall within the expected range. It's an oddity. Let's assume for a moment that JV believes his theory that cycling is a lot cleaner: this result forces him to rethink his position. Hence, he doesn't know at this point.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
JV1973 said:
No, the situation.... for example, alps d huez in 2001 38 minute winning time. you plug in the figures to that you get a vo2max of 92-100(assuming fatigue, and sub max power and certain efficiencies), and power outputs of 6.3+ w/kg... very easy to call bull****. I wrote a whole article in 2001 cyclesport basically calling bull****, but no one quite understood the science back then, so my subtleties were lost. Actually, LeMond read it and got it, but that was about it.

Froome isn't there yet, Wiggo no where close. Froome, my guess will be sub 40 mins in the Tour, maybe even low 39... so, vo2max of 86-94 and 6.0 w/kg... more difficult to make a damning assessment there. Not saying it's clean or not clean, saying that I would not be willing to condemn it, without further proof.

That's all.

Sorry, man. I don't go with "I don't like what I saw!"... Im pretty much tied to the math. climbing speed and blood values. The rest is rhubarb.

Looks like Froome is there. Time to call bull****.

Benotti69 said:

Vaughters is entitled to his opinion. And unlike most (e.g. Millar or all the journos) he didn't rely on his celebrity status to give him immunity from rebuttal and mock those with alternative arguments as losers/ conspiracy theorists/ people who don't watch cycling.

He came on here, faced the opposition arguments, admited he could be wrong, and gave the reasons why he had a different opinion.