• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV talks, sort of

Page 347 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
JV's episode of "Law & Order: SVU" was horrifying. That is all.

iCe3TPTj6ssZsHr7vsr07XbreaQ.jpg

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
http://www.bicycling.com/racing/doping/are-tour-de-france-racers-cheating-with-secret-motors
“It’s not something I was ever concerned about as a rider or manager,” said Vaughters of the motor rumors.
How exactly, following RvV and PR 2010, could he not have been concerned about motoruse?

And can we infer that Vaughters was not one of the managers who expressed their worries about motors to AFLD's Verdy in 2015?

The motor-omerta from people related to Garmin is strong. I wonder why.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Vaughters still selling snakeoil...........bet when Vaughters is done with the sport he'll rewrite history again. Doping stopped in 2006. The next generation to cool to dope, yada yada.......the guy has made a pretty decent living from doping. Like for many in the sport. Doping pays.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
Vaughters silence, from a man dedicating his life to anti-doping, on Sky is telling.
understandable, after having gone on the record multiple times saying he thinks they're clean.

Those journos who still tout Vaughters as 'outspoken antidoping' should really take some time to rethink.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
A N Other‏ @karlosophical 5h5 hours ago

So when @SirWiggo came 4th (3rd) in 2009 are @Vaughters + @millarmind saying it was pan y agua?
Can anyone in the sport say anything please?

Jonathan Vaughters‏ @Vaughters

@karlosophical Yeah, I think it was. *think* being the key word. Then, he went looking for that last .05% that separates 1st from 4th. Sad.

So in 2009 Vaughters told NYTimes they had an internal testing program. How did that internal system not show that Wiggins transformation from gruppetto to 4th in a GT was doping?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/sports/othersports/13cycling.html

Other teams also with 'alleged' internal testing programs? Astana, Saxo, Columbia and Sky. How did that pan out?

Who was running Garmin internal testing program? Don Caitlin. Another clown in sport. The circus rolls on.

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
Vaughters silence, from a man dedicating his life to anti-doping, on Sky is telling.

Vaughters believed his own BS. He actually thought Wiggins was clean. He argued his belief to ex-Postal riders even though they laughed at how obvious Wiggins' doping was. After Wiggins TUEs were revealed, Vaughters made a private mea culpa. Don't expect him to do a public one.

Who knows what JV is thinking these days...other than cashing those big checks from Ellis.

Re: Re:

DamianoMachiavelli said:
Benotti69 said:

Vaughters believed his own BS. He actually thought Wiggins was clean. He argued his belief to ex-Postal riders even though they laughed at how obvious Wiggins' doping was. After Wiggins TUEs were revealed, Vaughters made a private mea culpa. Don't expect him to do a public one.

Who knows what JV is thinking these days...other than cashing those big checks from Ellis.

mea culpa about Wiggins being clean at Garmin or Sky?

In fairness to Vaughters he did say this on twitter : https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/836991062614896641

If I understand what he said, he still thinks Wiggings was clean at Garmin (but isn't so sure anymore) and then doped at Sky. (wich I think is BS anyway since I don't believe one could finish 4th at 2009 Tour de France clean)

May 26, 2010
Visit site

DamianoMachiavelli said:
Benotti69 said:

Vaughters is a total sleeveen.

No way JV stupid enough to think Wiggins can go from the bus to 4th in a GT at age 27. Even his ego doesn't cloud his brain.

The idea that Garmin had internal testing was more JV BS. If anything it was a performance program. I guess he had a core group doping at Garmin and rest were on tight reins or did their own on the side.

I sure as heck don't expect a public mea culpa from Vaughters. His massive u-turn after Danielson's positive showed the true JV.

Open another bottle of red, 'ey JV?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

blackcat said:
technical instrument error
talking of instruments, here's one from 2008 i.e. a year before Wiggo's breakthrough:

Space Legs: Garmin’s Secret Weapon
Tour Tech: Garmin Recovery: The leg compression device.

While thermo regulation is the mainstay of the riders performing at their best on the bike and recovering afterwards, Lim and his riders call NormaTec PCDs their secret recovery weapon.

NormaTec’s PCD acronym stands for Pneumatic Compression Device. The team uses the company’s leg compression devices. The ‘space legs,’ as the riders’ call them, are akin to compression tights multiplied by 100 and given a mind of their own. They inflate and deflate to carefully prescribed pressures that have been proven to effectively treat swollen limbs due to medical conditions like diabetes and lymphatic disorders, as well as non-healing wounds. The team has found the devices dramatically reduce recovery time and improve the riders’ performances.

velonews.competitor.com/2008/07/news/road/how-garmin-chipotle-keeps-its-riders-fresh-for-the-tour_80922#DAKRkCsrih21YGzT.99

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

blackcat said:
hi

ten characters.

technical instrument error

I think you mean machine calibration error, aka acronym MCE

thanks.

you are not talking to yourself blackcat?

no. no I am not. that is not a double negative, merely it is a pleonasm.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Garmin are similar to team sky, clean mantra, doing it differently, new era, new methods, internal testing, etc etc and the rest of the BS.

Garmin didn't see Wiggins in 09 the year he came 4th in TdF for them! So that blows their BS out of the water.

We know of Danielson's positive.

So was JV warned to be small and not get cocky or win too much, because he went to USADA in 04? Or was JV smarter than the average bear and knew he would be allowed play as long as he didn't hog the ball.

Interesting......

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
Garmin are similar to team sky, clean mantra, doing it differently, new era, new methods, internal testing, etc etc and the rest of the BS.

Garmin didn't see Wiggins in 09 the year he came 4th in TdF for them! So that blows their BS out of the water.

So was JV warned to be small and not get cocky or win too much, because he went to USADA in 04? Or was JV smarter than the average bear and knew he would be allowed play as long as he didn't hog the ball.

Interesting......
couldnt agree more.

Kimmage now commenting on Garmin and especially Lim.
https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/interview-paul-kimmage-team-skys-charade-exposed/

But I also had an experience with Allen Lim. I was totally hoodwinked by him [Lim was Garmin’s physiologist at the time, and was later accused by Floyd Landis of helping him to dope in 2005 and 2006].
Where Kimmage seemed willing to defend Garmin, or at least Martin, in the past, in this interview he's tellingly cautious.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

sniper said:
Benotti69 said:

Interesting......
couldnt agree more.

Kimmage now commenting on Garmin and especially Lim.
https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/interview-paul-kimmage-team-skys-charade-exposed/

But I also had an experience with Allen Lim. I was totally hoodwinked by him [Lim was Garmin’s physiologist at the time, and was later accused by Floyd Landis of helping him to dope in 2005 and 2006].
Where Kimmage seemed willing to defend Garmin, or at least Martin, in the past, in this interview he's tellingly cautious.

Yeah, the bit where Kimmage says this

You ask me about the year I spent with Garmin. It was an interesting Tour. It was a positive experience. Is it journalism? No, definitely not – it is not what journalists should be doing. That is not to say that I wouldn’t do it again, but I don’t think…ultimately, in terms of transparency, sure, it is definitely a positive thing and a good thing and I’m glad I did it. But in terms of verification or a certification of their propriety, you could not in any way say it is a measure of anything, really.

Bet Vaughters spits out his wine reading that :lol:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Kimmage blows the garmin clean thing out of the water with that interview.

JV cant pretend to be a clean team no more. That JV was not suspicious of Wiggins in 2009 and drop him or internally test him shows just how much a snakeoil salesman he is. #MCE

Re:

yaco said:
Kimmage is a bit of a dreamer - Bit rich to expect WT teams to publically criticise Sky, especially seeing half the issue is BC - No way will the sponsors will allow team staff or riders to speak publically - Nice try Kimmage.

agree, free to ask and expect whatever he wants from teams, but if one knows cycling knows it´s useless to expect teams to do that.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
Kimmage is a bit of a dreamer - Bit rich to expect WT teams to publically criticise Sky, especially seeing half the issue is BC - No way will the sponsors will allow team staff or riders to speak publically - Nice try Kimmage.

Dont shoot Kimmage for being a journalist and doing his job. He aint a dreamer, he is calling it. He is right. No other teams or riders slamming Sky/BC because of omerta.

This is nothing new and neither is Kimmage just starting to bang this drum. He has been banging the drum about teams and riders calling out the cheats since he wrote Rough Ride.

I doubt any expect others to call out Sky as they are doing something similar, but it didn't stop Kittel, Cav, and others calling out Turkish riders or Ricco.

nice try Yaco but fail.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
it was written about Team Sky but it could easily have been JV,

.......we have been played for fools by people whose charlatanry is becoming increasingly apparent

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/mar/08/team-sky-are-hoist-on-their-own-petard-by-admissions-of-amateurism

JV's charalatanry was apparent to some us for a long time. So called Internal testing, not cool to dope, new generation marginal gains (yep JV talked them before Sky) yada yada

For someone who allegedly dedicated his life to anti-doping he sure has made a good living out of sport riddled with doping!

Benotti69 said:
yaco said:

Dont shoot Kimmage for being a journalist and doing his job. He aint a dreamer, he is calling it. He is right. No other teams or riders slamming Sky/BC because of omerta.

This is nothing new and neither is Kimmage just starting to bang this drum. He has been banging the drum about teams and riders calling out the cheats since he wrote Rough Ride.

I doubt any expect others to call out Sky as they are doing something similar, but it didn't stop Kittel, Cav, and others calling out Turkish riders or Ricco.

nice try Yaco but fail.

It's irrelevant whether Kimmage has been banging this drum for years - The fact is teams and riders have contractual clauses they must follow - And this will often mean you must be discreet with any public comments - Why did Daniel Benson in his story two days ago fail to name the Sky Rider who asked for Brailsford to stand down ? Why do journalists always use the word 'sources' in their articles ? Kimmage is crying like a baby because no rider/team will give him the 'killer' direct quotes for his articles - I also suggest that Kimmage may not be the first journalist of choice for those in the pro peleton.

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site

yaco said:
Benotti69 said:
yaco said:

nice try Yaco but fail.

It's irrelevant whether Kimmage has been banging this drum for years - The fact is teams and riders have contractual clauses they must follow - And this will often mean you must be discreet with any public comments - Why did Daniel Benson in his story two days ago fail to name the Sky Rider who asked for Brailsford to stand down ? Why do journalists always use the word 'sources' in their articles ? Kimmage is crying like a baby because no rider/team will give him the 'killer' direct quotes for his articles - I also suggest that Kimmage may not be the first journalist of choice for those in the pro peleton.

You are completely misreading Kimmage. You are really failing at this, as was already pointed out. I also do not think you understand how journalism works. The potential subject of a story (pro peleton) are not the ones to decide who runs the story. We already went through that with Walsh embedded in Sky.

Ironhead Slim said:
yaco said:
Benotti69 said:
yaco said:

nice try Yaco but fail.

You are completely misreading Kimmage. You are really failing at this, as was already pointed out. I also do not think you understand how journalism works. The potential subject of a story (pro peleton) are not the ones to decide who runs the story. We already went through that with Walsh embedded in Sky.

I called out Kimmage for whinging about the lack of public comments from pro riders/teams in regards to the Sky situation - He knows full well as a journalist how the caper works - Why do journalists often write ' n unnamed source' in articles - Why do journalists protect their sources ? Because people are careful what they place on the public record.

TRENDING THREADS