• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV talks, sort of

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
thehog said:
"Well there you go, from a self proclaimed expert. Its only worth 2%. Guess he would know. Maybe we should stop all the testing trouble?"

Go team Sky!!
I wish Pate would explain himself so that we could gauge whether this is just a matter of bad blood over the way he left Garmin, or whether he's calling JV out. I honestly don't know what to make of it.

edit: maybe he misinterpreted the article due to personal hostility towards JV, and when he realized JV wasn't saying doping only gave you a negligible advantage he took the tweet down?

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
I wish Pate would explain himself so that we could gauge whether this is just a matter of bad blood over the way he left Garmin, or whether he's calling JV out. I honestly don't know what to make of it.

edit: maybe he misinterpreted the article due to personal hostility towards JV, and when he realized JV wasn't saying doping only gave you a negligible advantage he took the tweet down?

Don't know, but he also posted this gem:

"I am so glad Hamilton is making a marketing apology now. Poor guy, #victim"

thehog said:
BroDeal! Come on down!

I wrote:

"If JV will finally stop tip toeing around the issue and publicly give detailed information about what went on at Postal, I'll change my avatar to a JV portrait, sideburns and all, for a month."

While I will him props for finally making an admission instead of a non-admission admission, it is not quite what I was looking for.

I found some of the things JV posted in this thread more interesting than the article. He has written similar articles sans the admission in previous years.

BroDeal said:
The 2% in the article was a 2% time difference. On flat ground in a time trial that translates to considerably more than a 2% power difference.

And neither JV nor Pate appear to be able to do the math. Especially not Pate. But, he is probably feeling like he got let down. Either he truly didn't dope, and JV let him down 'cuz he did.

Or, he doesn't want to admit what he did, and JV let him down 'cuz he did.

JV let him down.

In terms of the math, 10s to 9.8s is ... (EDIT)... a lot more (than 2%) in terms of power. Might be that JV chose the example wisely.

Now, based upon the seven years of bad luck, that kind of donkey to racehorse improvement would make sense.

Dave.

D-Queued said:
And neither JV nor Pate appear to be able to do the math. Especially not Pate. But, he is probably feeling like he got let down. Either he truly didn't dope, and JV let him down 'cuz he did.

Or, he doesn't want to admit what he did, and JV let him down 'cuz he did.

JV let him down.

In terms of the math, 10s to 9.8s is a 20% time improvement... and a lot more in terms of power. Might be that JV chose the example wisely.

You might want to soend a bit for a new calculator app.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
JV1973 said:
You guys should go read the NY Times Op-Ed section. Should be an endless well for giving me ****.

If anyone actually takes the time to read the article and still gives you ****... Then in the current day vernacular... Whatever.

Well done. The Boss could do with a similar cleansing... He may have to record his thoughts to tape and get one of the interns type it up?

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I wrote:

"If JV will finally stop tip toeing around the issue and publicly give detailed information about what went on at Postal, I'll change my avatar to a JV portrait, sideburns and all, for a month."

How about for a day? kidding.

Maybe JV has already detailed the greasy dopetowinatallcosts circa Postal, you can show us the splendid Avatar later.

Thanks JV, your work for the sport is commendable. I hope the other French teams who are probably on thensame page as Garmin start speaking up about their anti doping stance and environment as well.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
JV...that took some real guts...Thanks for standing up...if you ever start a fan based sponsorship to help out your team I am all in...way to go man...:)

I find all of the hooray and attaboys ridiculous about Vaughters, and every other cyclist who admits later, after their career is over, how they doped and then admit to it.

Doesn't take much character to admit it once you are caught, or after you competitive days are over.

Real character is to avoid the temptation to begin with and not dope at all.

zigmeister said:
I find all of the hooray and attaboys ridiculous about Vaughters, and every other cyclist who admits later, after their career is over, how they doped and then admit to it.

Doesn't take much character to admit it once you are caught, or after you competitive days are over.

Good for you to acknowledge that your boy Armstrong cannot rise to the "doesn't take much character" level.

zigmeister said:

I disagree. We've all made mistakes and it takes character to admit and own up to those mistakes. Sure JV no longer competes, but he is still in the business. He has a lot to lose, but this is needed to clean up the sport.

TRENDING THREADS