• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV1973 Appreciation Society

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Its American Centric - you wouldn't understand.

It is the practice of calling males "mister." ;) Or could just be a mistype of mystery, but I think the first meaning as that seems more inane and fun.:D

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Ok, off to eat cheese and drink wine.... But yes, what I meant was "I dont know if anyone will believe me, but here goes..."

The whole "little people" thing? I'm customizing Lego Stormtroopers with a file and various colored Sharpies here with my son.

I only act like I'm a big shot when hot chicks are around.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
JV1973 said:
Ok, off to eat cheese and drink wine.... But yes, what I meant was "I dont know if anyone will believe me, but here goes..."

The whole "little people" thing? I'm customizing Lego Stormtroopers with a file and various colored Sharpies here with my son.

As it should be... (both the Lego thing with your son and acting like a big shot when hot chicks are around)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
JV1973 said:

I do appreciate you coming on to share information with us.
But having followed cycling for 25 years and seeing all my 'heroes' exposed as cheats I think you can understand why it is hard to trust the sport.

But ultimatley I am on this forum to learn and it is good to have a DS of a Pro Tour team to put questions to.

I always learn something new on these forums- I had no idea Lego made Stormtroopers, my day has been made.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I always learn something new on these forums- I had no idea Lego made Stormtroopers, my day has been made.
Yes, everything! Boba Fett, Darth Vader, X-Wings, the whole shebang!

....only 20 years too late.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Back on topic.

There are many cycling's ill's that JV attempts to address with his team. Beyond the systematic doping programs there also is the often toxic culture that can be prevalent in the sport. Modifying this decades old culture takes time, but ultimately is crucial to changing the sport.

JV, as you cannot address signings until September 1st perhaps you could address the potential return of Lionel Putz esq. As one of the sports original reporters of the absurd his observations are missed. Rumor has it he was last spotted on a Somali pirate ship that was attempting to high jack a container ship full of Vodka.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

All sorts of fine Star Wars Legos items at the official site: Star Wars

Thanks again JV for coming on and answering questions. Hope you'll stick around for a long time.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Jonathan said:
Yes, everything! Boba Fett, Darth Vader, X-Wings, the whole shebang!

....only 20 years too late.
You're right..

2nulmwo.jpg

Is that Tyler at Eneco?

A

Anonymous

JV1973 said:

I'm over 40 so I don't even bother anymore. "hot chicks" quit noticing a couple of years back when I lost my hair and started rooting around in the toy section with my kids. I'd go buy a Porsche, but really, how cliche...Plus I have a wife who still loves me and puts up with my middle school angst, you don't find many line that.

It appears that I misjudged your responses, please accept my apology for the flaming post.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
JV1973 said:
Sorry, my memory doesn't go back far enough to remember what David was saying about Cadel. I dont know the context either, which is important. Cadel must not have minded, as he remains friends with Millar and I've never heard of any bad blood between those two.

Anyhow, I guess you have better information and ideas than I do, so I'm not really sure what to say? I figured i'd try to answer some questions and concerns that i read on this forum. But if you have more exact information than I do, then I'm the one who needs to be asking you the questions.

I just throw my opinions out there. Not everyone has to like them, I'm very aware of that.

Please give David (Walsh) my regards if you speak with him before I do, JV

definitely have comported yourself well and with integrity on the forum JV. Others would not be so well accepting of criticism faced with the snark from one like myself. So respect to that. And I appreciate, have gone in with boots and all on you and your squad, which could be viewed as an ad hominem attack on your integrity.

No others are here so credit and respect to that, and the polite replies.

It must be tough facing down criticism, when others seek to perpetuate the status quo, yet you seek to change things. And critics (moi) do not appreciate the political hurdles (tho I can see them).

I think you do need the devil's advocate, to just jar you from a comfort zone or smug self-congratulation (no, don't necessarily view it like that).

I hold to what all I have said, but I come across much less edifying as you. I can reconcile that. Now, with respect to Walsh, just ask anyone, to email Walsh, and ask him, about Wiggins. If his reply is the same as I got, there you have your answer. I never made that up. That is, if you really wish to know what Walsh's opinion is, or are content in your comfort zone.

Anyone, thanks for coming on and responding to questions and criticism.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Well said HJ - I hope he continues to engage with us and speak for himself.

JV I am going to ask some direct questions on the Biological Passport as you recently made comments defending it and said that it is something the Cycling community should be proud of.

However if we - the members of the forum and cycling fans - had confidence in the system then wouldn't it be fair to assume that you wouldn't need to come in here and defend your riders - or even Contador for that matter?

Your comments from Cyclingnews article:
"I respect Walsh and his anti-doping stance. That being said, I don't like criticism of the biological passport. I understand that it isn't perfect, like any anti-doping technology, but it is the best technology that we've got right now, and I think it's something that the sport should be immensely proud of. No one has done this before and we're pushing the boundaries to the far edge. We've got to be proud of that".

Danilo Di Luca was found non negative for CERA in July - the UCI were quick to point out that it was through targeted information from the Biological Passport.
However the reason for the Biological Passport was to sanction riders who had suspicious values.

My questions are:
Why should we feel proud in a $5 million system that fails in its primary objective?

And why is you said "I don't like criticism of of the Biological Passport"?
and Ashenden who said he can show you how to beat the passport on the back of a post it note.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I'm over 40 so I don't even bother anymore. "hot chicks" quit noticing a couple of years back when I lost my hair and started rooting around in the toy section with my kids. I'd go buy a Porsche, but really, how cliche...Plus I have a wife who still loves me and puts up with my middle school angst, you don't find many line that.

Uh. Good for you?

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, Aschenden and Walsh are both invited to come live with our team in the Tour. I cant do any more than that.

Neither one will do it, of course.... But how can you criticize if you're unwilling to take the time and make the effort to go see for yourself?

Anyhow, they both know how to find me, so open invite.

JV

JV1973 said:
Well, Aschenden and Walsh are both invited to come live with our team in the Tour. I cant do any more than that.

Neither one will do it, of course.... But how can you criticize if you're unwilling to take the time and make the effort to go see for yourself?

JV

now days people throw stones just because they can. does that make it right?
no. smear and innuendo are not a new thing, just much more prevalent in the
internet age.:cool:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
JV1973 said:

JV
one can easily criticise, and it is needed. That is where we diverge. Criticism is not unfounded because those individuals have not been in your team's hospitality.

Indeed, Ashenden's criticism was on how you (generic, not Garmin/JV) beat the passport. That needs to be well publicised, not the formula, but the fact it is not the be all and end all of anti-doping.

Critics cannot be content, there needs to be vigilance, but not a lynching squad. And I appreciate you would feel harangued and take this as thus.

There is a chance, Holsczer had great supervision over Kohl, and encouraged him to ride, clean, and could not fathom how Stefan Matschiner could have dumped blood.

You said you were not overly concerned re: Wiggins rising crit, albeit one point. Now, I think you have to trust your riders, otherwise you cannot build an esprit de corps, which is your true competitive advantage. Like the Landis propagandist, I think you need to trust but verify, although the indications you have been doing that, and all you can do. Perhaps. (reference perhaps is probably too snarky of me)

I would be concerned about the rising crit tho, and see where it has mimicked itself. I mean, if it has never manifested itself, if Wiggins time at Columbia, Cofidis and Credit Agricole when he has ridden the Tour and Giro, if his crit has never risen, and always fallen in a GT, and on the one occasion he is serious about riding for a GC position, why would his rising crit coincide with his career changing performance.

If that does not worry you, well, you cannot be serious in holding your own riders to account. There may be non-nefarious explanations, a natural physiology, however, it is a little too much to ignore the coincidence and say you are not concerned.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
now days people throw stones just because they can. does that make it right?
no. smear and innuendo are not a new thing, just much more prevalent in the
internet age.:cool:
Ashenden did not criticise Garmin nor Wiggins, and Walsh has not gone on public record.

However, if you add up what Ashenden has said, you can qualify a de facto criticism indirectly.

Why should not we criticise. Armstrong, Landis, and Hamilton are open targets. And they were open targets prior to getting popped.

I may not be correct, and I will be the first to concede and apologise if my opinions are unfounded.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Ashenden did not criticise Garmin nor Wiggins, and Walsh has not gone on public record.

However, if you add up what Ashenden has said, you can qualify a de facto criticism indirectly.

Why should not we criticise. Armstrong, Landis, and Hamilton are open targets. And they were open targets prior to getting popped.

I may not be correct, and I will be the first to concede and apologise if my opinions are unfounded.

When invited, I think they have a certain responsibility to either go or acknowledge they were invited, especially after casting doubt and suspicion (rightfully or not). An effort at transparency might not be everything, but it is a step in the right direction.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
When invited, I think they have a certain responsibility to either go or acknowledge they were invited, especially after casting doubt and suspicion (rightfully or not). An effort at transparency might not be everything, but it is a step in the right direction.
hang on, that is intra-Tour. Would they have exposure to riders visiting a blood clinic to deposit and transfuse prior to the Tour?

Part of Rasmussen's strength was how he prepared and how he came in over capacity in his parameters. Now I appreciate Garmin have tabs on riders in Gerona. However, is Ashenden or Walsh going to know if their riders are doing IGF in training, and other stuff that does not show up? Will he be able to know they dump blood and re-transfuse prior to the Tour.

This is a false assumption, that their behaviour during the Tour can indicate their status as clean riders. It cannot and it won't. There is a definite flaw in natural justice with fingering riders with a "know it when I see it" paradigm.

blackcat said:

i did not specify that our own forum members would do such a thing. some might but by and large it is mostly fair discussion whether i agree with what is said or not. i speak to the internet at large. in particular journalists, who just like to throw out read meat to bait the masses. i think doping is a fact of life in sports good or bad. in a perfect world it would not happen. that is
why we try for perfection, but still, we cannot catch them all. i will also add
that most folks here seem to have "suffered" in a race somewhere along the way, and to have done that brings a certain knowledge of the situation.:cool:

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Walsh has moved on

Walsh wont take up JV's invite, he has moved on - there are bigger fish to fry, he is now on Rugby Union. It's a much bigger sport commercially in the UK, and I think there is a lot there for a journalist to scoop on. Plus the sport has not been scrutinised from a PED perspective - but it is a brutal vicious sport with huge power and endurance demands with a heavy and long season. I guess most of this forum are non-UK? To put it in perspective, during the season Rugby Union will get 6 pages in the Sport section of Walsh's paper, in July, with Wiggo going well, Kimmage will get a full page if he's lucky.

To me, the big thing in all this is the Kimmage/Millar reconciliation - Kimmage was soooo hard on Millar and having been a pro must have a good nose for what is good vs too good to be true - I cant believe Kimmage would risk his anti-doping rep on Garmin if he didnt have total confidence they were legit.

That may be slightly OT so back on JV appreciation - the post about Contador made me think I could cut AC some more slack? He is visually a classier bike rider than everyone else, if everyone were clean I have no doubt he would win the GC of any GT he entered, but... Anyway thanks JV for making me feel a bit more +ve about that.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
i did not specify that our own forum members would do such a thing. some might but by and large it is mostly fair discussion whether i agree with what is said or not. i speak to the internet at large. in particular journalists, who just like to throw out read meat to bait the masses. i think doping is a fact of life in sports good or bad. in a perfect world it would not happen. that is
why we try for perfection, but still, we cannot catch them all. i will also add
that most folks here seem to have "suffered" in a race somewhere along the way, and to have done that brings a certain knowledge of the situation.:cool:

I was speaking in generic voice also.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
JV, I haven't been a big fan of your team until now.
Huge props answering some of the questions you were asked here, very nice!
TFF is a troll and even proud of it, just ignore him.

Contador; I do wonder why the English press never writes about his story, he almost also died, has a brother on a wheel chair forever. I understand very well when you said Contadors family & friends are very tight, something LA never had/has.

Would be so cool if you could sign Contador.

A new Garmin fan!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
peloton said:
JV, I haven't been a big fan of your team until now.
Huge props answering some of the questions you were asked here, very nice!
TFF is a troll and even proud of it, just ignore him.

Contador; I do wonder why the English press never writes about his story, he almost also died, has a brother on a wheel chair forever. I understand very well when you said Contadors family & friends are very tight, something LA never had/has.

Would be so cool if you could sign Contador.

A new Garmin fan!
if TFF is a troll, that make me one too. Well, better a troll than an ignorant nuff nuff trying to quiet alternative voices, and some quite well informed opinions.