• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Landis letter re drug use in cycling

Page 78 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
offbyone said:
There is nothing new from Lemond here. As much as like him, Lemond doesn't have much credibility here. He has been on a lance witch hunt for a long time. He also seems to want to paint any successful cyclist as a doper. If I recall he was calling contador a doper last TdF. Is he right about that too?

"as much as you like him" whatever.

Yeah, he is right about Contadoper.

snap out of it fool.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
buckwheat said:
"if the Feds and French police find nothing to FLs story?"

Are you insane? How could they find nothing? There's already a mountain of crap on these frauds.

Why do you get such pleasure massaging pharmstrong's nut?

that is uncalled for. let the facts fall where they may. IF means IF- and why would I choose to decide something that is contrary to the evidence ? would you like your judge to go with what your accuser says or according to the evidence ? may you reap the reward your type of justice serves

Race Radio said:
It is now confirmed that the FDA is investigating the Landis allegations. Landis has met with FDA special agent Jeff Novitzky.

Landis had planned to make his allegations at a press conference in Los Angeles on Saturday during the time-trail stage of the Tour of California. Federal investigators with whom Mr. Landis was cooperating urged him not to make any public statements out of concern that it would complicate their efforts to collect information and that they would have had trouble insuring Mr. Landis's safety at a crowded public event.

Armstrong sent an email on May 6th that claimed he had "sources inside the antidoping agencies who inform you of goings on."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703559004575256913635747280.html?mod=quicklinks_landis

Wonder if Armstrong is stupid enough to lie to the feds?

So Armstrong admits, in writing, that he has sources inside of the anti-doping agency???? That has to be something worth following up on, no?

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:
that is uncalled for. let the facts fall where they may. IF means IF- and why would I choose to decide something that is contrary to the evidence ? would you like your judge to go with what your accuser says or according to the evidence ? may you reap the reward your type of justice serves

The facts have fallen and there is tons of evidence you're ignorant of.

There are many witnesses who have nothing to gain.

Get over your worship.

My type of justice?

You're a moreon.

You're the guy who was a couch potato and then started riding and now you know everything?

Here it is.

Laszlo said:
holy carp batman, yes you did and you repeat it again despite your denial ! you must be a politician, or at least destined for such an orifice.

I think it might be worth to examine LAs actual training logbook during his tdf years and contrast that with that of some of his rivals. Merckx always said, to become a good cyclist you must ride lots ( or words to that effect). I think that is very true, personally, I never had any athletic talent growing up, but when I got into cycling I treated it like a major addiction- I rode lots and pushed myself to achieve personal best times on a near daily basis- and I got darn fast on regular wheels and steel- I always caught guys on the road, even coming back on double centuries. I think most of your doping proponents are weekend warrior racer types- people only willing to go half-way- and have no knowledge of what you can do when you decide to go all the way and more. Do yourself a favour and push yourself sometime, maybe you can realize you don't need to cheat or drugs to achieve personal greatness- you just need to get serious and push yourself.

The hero worship is pathetic.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Poor Lance. For someone so innocent and hardworking, it must suck to be him.

Maybe it's time to make some new friends?

Either a lot of people really envy the hell out of the guy, or he's as guilty as they all say. There is no inbetween.

It will be a heck of a fall, and nothing he has achieved will have been worth it. A lot of other people will be brought down too.

People will forget and the world will keep on turning.

I'm going to go meditate with Buddha now. Peace.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
6. Why is Popo a stud when he works for Bruyneel and a dog when he doesn't?
"

Fact check time, he was 3rd and 5th in the Giro at Landbouwkrediet-Colnago in his time before Brunyell. Also won U23 Paris-Roubaix and many others as a youngster.

theswordsman said:
From that link:

I wonder if this might change, as the relationship has. In the past, he was right up the block so they could share the kids. The summer before the comeback, when he moved to California to train with Peter Park(?), she went there too with the kids.

Now he's got the house in Colorado, lived in California in November, spent weeks away in Hawaii or Africa or France, where the kids were up to her. He's got the girlfriend, a son that he apparently dotes on, and another baby on the way. Kristin spends way less time with him around, as do her kids.

I used to read her running blog, and she wrote a lot about life as a Christian, taking some heat for it from readers. I wonder if his change in living arrangements night be enough to get her to voluntarily open up?

if she is facing jail time for conspiracy, that might pry her previously tight lips open. Spousal privilege is not available (in the US) where privilege is used in furtherance of a felony.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
Have to say that it was weird that most, if not all, of the questions came from the same woman. The only one that did not is the one you reference and he really had no answer for it.

I'm pretty sure the woman was Juliet Macur, who wrote a pretty decent article for the New York Times today.

His tactic of discrediting the attacker is nothing new in the playbook. Remember Jakob Morkeberg, the "how do you say SSDD in Danish", and the joke about what to you call the person who graduates last in their class in Med School? But this doesn't come down to Floyd's personality or opinion. His part is the names, dates and doping products used. Investigators can handle the rest.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
From that link:

I wonder if this might change, as the relationship has. In the past, he was right up the block so they could share the kids. The summer before the comeback, when he moved to California to train with Peter Park(?), she went there too with the kids.

Now he's got the house in Colorado, lived in California in November, spent weeks away in Hawaii or Africa or France, where the kids were up to her. He's got the girlfriend, a son that he apparently dotes on, and another baby on the way. Kristin spends way less time with him around, as do her kids.

I used to read her running blog, and she wrote a lot about life as a Christian, taking some heat for it from readers. I wonder if his change in living arrangements night be enough to get her to voluntarily open up?

There's no mother alive who'd put her god before her children. She'll never speak a word to anyone if it means damage to her kids.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I'm not sure why you continue to focus on Landis - this is out of his hands now. The killer blow (if it comes) will come from a governing body or federal agency, be it in US, France or elsewhere.

All Landis did was alert the authorities of what he saw as a problem in cycling, he didn't even leak the e-mails.

Of course, Lance, JB and all his supporters will be in full attack mode focusing 99% of their efforts on Landis, avoiding the bigger issue.

I'm a bit puzzled by this repeated RAHRAHRAH! Is a single accusation enough to get several judicial systems in action?

I would be very very very surprised if what Floyd said will cause such actions. Why do I say this? There have been just as damning thingsin the past with much better witnesses (Betsy).

Guys.. however much I want Lance to be crushed, it's not going to hapen. His statement is slam-dunk case closed. No one dares to support Floyd, simply because he has a tremendous credibility issue. Whereas HJOPE with Nike, Livestrong and whatnot is a money crunching spin doctoring judicial behemoth.

It's not even close... Lance is going to walk away without any real problem.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
I'm pretty sure the woman was Juliet Macur, who wrote a pretty decent article for the New York Times today.

His tactic of discrediting the attacker is nothing new in the playbook. Remember Jakob Morkeberg, the "how do you say SSDD in Danish", and the joke about what to you call the person who graduates last in their class in Med School? But this doesn't come down to Floyd's personality or opinion. His part is the names, dates and doping products used. Investigators can handle the rest.

+1

Now that he seems to be admitting to perjury, FL an unreliable witness. If he can provide data and checkable facts it won't be such a problem however.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
On and on

I hope Tyler steps up.
Floyd is deeply flawed yet has little to gain by doing what he's done (imo).
I tend to think he's telling the truth. What does he stand to gain aside from 15 more minutes of fame (at this late date)?

Thing is, in pretty much EVERY grand tour for the last 20 years, there's been some or another form of doping.

Revamping the podium(s) is useless.
Basically, they ALL doped.

Would it be fun to see the LA brand eat doodoo?
Yes.

Is Lance the MOST EVIL DOPER of the modern era?

No.
He's one guy amidst hundreds of elite pro's.
Floyd too.

They All doped. Look at the podium/top 10 of all LA's TDF's.

Dopers, thru and thru. Most busted or deeply implicated.

And who rode the fastest average KPH tour in history?

Lemond.

did he dope?
did Hinault or Eddie do speed?

Probably yes.

bummer. It's all a bummer.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Franklin said:
I'm a bit puzzled by this repeated RAHRAHRAH! Is a single accusation enough to get several judicial systems in action?

I would be very very very surprised if what Floyd said will cause such actions. Why do I say this? There have been just as damning thingsin the past with much better witnesses (Betsy).

Guys.. however much I want Lance to be crushed, it's not going to hapen. His statement is slam-dunk case closed. No one dares to support Floyd, simply because he has a tremendous credibility issue. Whereas HJOPE with Nike, Livestrong and whatnot is a money crunching spin doctoring judicial behemoth.

It's not even close... Lance is going to walk away without any real problem.

I fear you're right, and that's what so galling: to think justice could be reduced to a perception of personalities and expressions of power.

News is however that FED bodies are getting involved. More worms need to come out of the woodwork if indeed it is rotten.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Wow, this forum has never gone into meltdown like this.

At the end of the day why would they do that? We have a person who has been under oath several times with a completely different version, written a book with a completely different version, someone that took money. He said he has no proof. It is his word verses ours. We like our word. We like where we stand and we like our credibility. I don’t think there is a lot of credibility on the other side so why would ASO think any differently. Keep in mind back in the day there was all this buzz that Floyd said he had pictures of a refrigerated motorcycle. Where is that? It’s all a bunch of bull**** and never existed.

Lance sounds pretty angry to me.

So what did people think of his answers in his denial to what Landis has claimed? For mine it looks like it's something that could of come out of the White House.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
CycloErgoSum said:
There's no mother alive who'd put her god before her children. She'll never speak a word to anyone if it means damage to her kids.

But it seems her kids are getting the second hand citizen treatment right now, and I'd think it would be worse when he's posting twitpics of the baby and things. I have no idea what she'd really do in the situation, I was just recognizing that her situation is significantly different.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
If anyone wants to read a profile the New York Times did on Jeff Novitzky, you can read it here. I read it before when the BALCO investigation was in swing, so Novitzky's name isn't new to me. It's a balanced article, in that the lumps from the profile aren't hidden for the sake of painting Novitzky in a disproportionate light.

After re-reading the article though I question the sequence of how this all went down. Would it be possible that Lance has been in the feds' cross hairs for a period of time and that they managed to get Landis to come on their side in order to further their case?

If the feds are involved then the approach won't be fishing with a line and using Floyd simply as bait, the nets will be cast and there will be some serious trawling. But that is merely stating the obvious.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
But it seems her kids are getting the second hand citizen treatment right now, and I'd think it would be worse when he's posting twitpics of the baby and things. I have no idea what she'd really do in the situation, I was just recognizing that her situation is significantly different.

hmm good point. A woman scorned and all that kind of thing. It was fortunate for her the Lemond trial was settled OOC.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
barn yard said:
they have obviously been preparing for this for some time

Yes, LA and JB have said as much. They've been waiting for it to blow but it hasn't been as easy to contain this time. LA's mad, but not as aggressive as in the past. His attitude is contrived and rehearsed. He doesn't normally 'do' bemusement. He's naturally an attack dog. And that's a fact. :p

offbyone said:
There is nothing new from Lemond here. As much as like him, Lemond doesn't have much credibility here. He has been on a lance witch hunt for a long time. He also seems to want to paint any successful cyclist as a doper. If I recall he was calling contador a doper last TdF. Is he right about that too?

You're right. Lemond is probably just jealous that anyone -- esp. an American -- has won more Tours. I mean, how can he even question squeaky-clean Contador? :rolleyes: