• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

LeMond's letter to McQuaid

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 12, 2011
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Why? It was living the dream stuff and getting paid well too! The UCI did great too!

Be sure to add Tailwind/Thom Wiesel and USA Cycling to the list of longtime offenders. Wiesel more than anyone is responsible for the myth. Wonderboy isn't that smart.

No doubt but you have to add 20 other team owners/DS to that list as well.

The entire cycling community in the US, the UCI and most of the Federations had to know. Guys jumped to the pro ranks and miraculously got instantly better? It ain't all training and nutrition. I think ASO has a big chunk of this as well.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
the asian said:
Great by LeMond. There must be substantial pressure on Pat & Hein to resign from all parties concerned. When an esteemed figure like LeMond calls for their resignation, the media will pick it up and there could be even more sponsor pressure.

As for the Lance fanboys accusing LeMond of doping, where were you when your hero offered substantial amount of money to anyone who could come up with evidence that LeMond doped?
There are none and it's about ten years since that offer came up.
Is the offer still open? I remember Lemond slipped away under a roadway overpass in Central Park. I saw him under there, in the semi-dark playing with something in his racing shorts. Was it dope??!! I won't say more until Mellow Jonnie makes the cash drop......

Cimacoppi49 said:
! I won't say more until Mellow Jonnie makes the cash drop......

Cash is a little short these days as it always was when it came time for Wonderboy to pay for something...

Would you like some shares of Mellow Jonnie Aviation, and 50 boxes of Yellow bracelets? aaaand your own FREE Livestrong T-shirt? Let's see if there's a bag of coffee or something kicking around the new double-wide in El Paso.

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
fatandfast said:
do you think that CN used the Greg Lemond photo that included Delgado as some kind of sign. Maybe another photo of Greg with Fignon, who admitted doping as he also neared death. I ma sure Lemond had this letter laying around for years but decided the time was right with Lance standing on the tracks as the train in approaching. It is probably hard for CN and others to find lots of stock photos that don't include riders that have somehow been involved in doping.
ASO,Lemond,and the UCI are all making a colossal mistake by leaving the names blank and as Lemond and the rest have repeated "truth" in some form or another. If you want cycling to be real shake the tree a little harder. This shake has made uncaught dopers all over the world come out. Do a little more testing and lets see what happens.No Vaughters slap on the wrist technique, lets get some more truth, White, Barry,Holestol, Kjaergaad's are just a start.
With Riis, White and Holestol they all were selected by their home federations to work with young riders, maybe those roots should be explored also.

I know Greg it was everybody else, like your ex-roommate Laurent. Lets get to testing!!!

They must have slept in separate rooms or Lemond felt asleep real quick cause in his own words, he only noticed people were doping after six years as a professional.

I know this "little" in-congruence amounts to nothing for Lemond followers, but think again, six years without noticing anything strange when we get accounts from fellow cyclists of the time that doping was as widespread as it is today. Even a current friend of his wrote a book about it to make the money he couldn't make as a professional.

And let's not forget that our Lemond won a race early in his career because Pascal Simon was disqualified for doping. :D

The same Pascal Simon who introduced Robert Millar to Dr Bellocq to get a nice "hormone re-balancing", and the same doctor Bellocq that later became Lemond's team doctor.

thegripo said:
If Lemond doped or not is irrelevant. but refusing to even consider it, is.

No one is refusing. There is a long, long, long running thread about it and the answer is always the same. The evidence we have strongly suggests Lemond didn't dope. Albatross says otherwise, but we're still waiting for specific allegations to be posted. We'll be waiting quite a long time for those.:D

Aleajactaest said:
No doubt but you have to add 20 other team owners/DS to that list as well.

The entire cycling community in the US, the UCI and most of the Federations had to know. Guys jumped to the pro ranks and miraculously got instantly better? It ain't all training and nutrition. I think ASO has a big chunk of this as well.

Well, I don't know about the ENTIRE U.S. community. There are a few good people in USAC with good intentions entirely undone by Wiesel and Tailwind. Some midwest Office Park Criterium champion probably didn't know either.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
thegripo said:
> snipped the useless fake babble <

If Lemond doped or not is irrelevant. but refusing to even consider it, is. I personally believe he was as clean as possible, mainly because he raced at a time where IT SEEMS you could win a Gran tour without doping, and because EPO was still not around. (although blood doping, anphetamines, etc, were)

I considered it. Armstrong had since 2001 with huge money available to discover LeMond's doping. He couldn't. Lawyer's, huge entourage, paid assistants, mechanics, doctors, etc and no doubt Private investigators to dig the dirt.

So the only positive thing Amrstrong has done for cycling is to dispel any idea that LeMond doped.

Now why would you argue otherwise?

This has been pointed out numerous times the issue is raised about LeMond's doping and every single time those trying to look uninterested whether he doped or not failed to convince the clinic of anything but they are fanboys.

thegripo said:
Still, I think he did everything in his power to win the TDF.

190 riders start the race and do everything in their power to win. Non argument.

thegripo said:
what about the aerobars, helmet, bike in TDF 89? that was a kind of shady thing. yes right, it's no doping, but it WAS getting every possible little thing to win. He looked for and found a small edge that no one was using, and used it for his advantage. I remember before the final TT, discussions about if they were legal. Now we know it's a huge advantage to race on a TT bike.

Fignon had the exact same equipment as LeMond. Fignon against he advice he wa given chose not to use it. Another non argument. Using latest tech = doping. Fail.

thegripo said:
So it is a FACT that greg was willing to do tricky things to win. You can argue it's not the same as doping, but I think you see my point.

Racing a bike down an Alpine pas at 70km per hour is crazy. Doesn't mae LeMond a doper. Fail.

thegripo said:
i think it's dangerous to blindly put all faith and "saintify" one person. Be it Lemond, Tygart, and/or LA.

No one is blindly puting their faith in anyone. I repeat in case you haven't finished high school and are coming down off dope. Armstrong had since 2001 with huge money available to discover LeMond's doping. He couldn't. Lawyer's, huge entourage, paid assistants, mechanics, doctors, etc and no doubt Private investigators to dig the dirt.

What has Tygart got to do with it? Tygart did not work alone. USADA has more than 1 person. Or is it only his name on your intern brief?

thegripo said:
The whole sport needs to be reformed.

For sure and to take down someone as big as Armstrong is as good a starting point as any. Hell it is probably the best place you can start. The guy that bribed the Federation and doped his way to riches getting stripped and thrown out of all sanctioned sports for the rest of his life might make others think before they dope.

thegripo said:
Current UCI is gotta be kicked out, separate entity (USADA like) to be responsible for antidoping control, putting all blame on a pr*ck like lance armstrong I think does not help...

I think they forgot to put the other 4 names from the USADA investigation on your little intern brief. Ferarri, Bruyneel (won more TdFs as a Ds than wonderboy did as a rider), Del Moral, Ceyla and Marti were all big players in doping and now are gone from the sport. Next McQuaid and Verbruggen

I think the USADA have done a fantastic job considering their meagre resources up agaisnt 5 very powerful and wealthy cheats.

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
ferrari has allready been banned from the sport for years in italy. doesn't stop most of the top itallian riders from working with him... banning the docters is pure symbolism. even if you take their license there is nothing stopping them from continuing their business or setting up shop in an uncontrolled region

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Albatros said:
They must have slept in separate rooms or Lemond felt asleep real quick cause in his own words, he only noticed people were doping after six years as a professional.

I know this "little" in-congruence amounts to nothing for Lemond followers, but think again, six years without noticing anything strange when we get accounts from fellow cyclists of the time that doping was as widespread as it is today. Even a current friend of his wrote a book about it to make the money he couldn't make as a professional.

And let's not forget that our Lemond won a race early in his career because Pascal Simon was disqualified for doping. :D

The same Pascal Simon who introduced Robert Millar to Dr Bellocq to get a nice "hormone re-balancing", and the same doctor Bellocq that later became Lemond's team doctor.

Lance is playing the "you never heard my side of the story" BS. His lawyers have said over and over that the court in which he was to be tried in was rigged. I agree in a couple of ways but with the evidence against him the venue and nuances of the particular court system can't be a big issue for a guy with millions in the bank. He could get a legal team that specializes in a CAS/USADA type of hearing. The stories of Lemond and Lance have some parallels that you bring up. They both were surrounded by dope and dopers. Both guys have said similar things, it was everybody else but not me.
Armstrong unlike Lemond paid people outside his regular training staff. Why would that be? Why didn't everybody have cancelled checks to Ferrari? Just because Lemond was around and connected to all the dopers you list as well as dozens of others it still doesn't mean he is guilty.
He really should just get his old blood tested, not for the general public, because they have given up on bike racing. Just for the core fans that will stick with it and continue patronizing pro bike racing. The only way to have a starting point is to have a few verified clean spokespeople other wise, the Horners and Lemonds will always be suspect to some degree. This was a crash brought on by hardcore cycling fans, nobody else cared about Lance. His crimes could have just faded away like the decades of dopers before him,like Eddy,Sean Kelly,Delgado and dozens of others.
This months Velo has an article with quotes from Taylor Phinney. He is also talking out of both sides, he says that everybody is gobbling caffeine tablets and pain killers for athletic benefit. Thats today.

One of Lance's early teammates got busted for caffeine but he didn't get the delivery from putting it into his mouth, he used another hole.

May 25, 2011
Visit site
BroDeal said:
http://nyvelocity.com/content/features/2012/open-letter-pat-mcquaid-greg-lemond#comment-107135

Open Letter to Pat McQuaid from Greg LeMond
Thu, 10/25/2012 - 2:31am by Andy Shen

Greg LeMond posted this to his Facebook timeline this evening. Please pass it around

[...]

If people really want to clean the sport of cycling up all you have to do is put your money where your mouth is.

Don't buy a USA Cycling license. Give up racing for a year, just long enough to put the UCI and USA cycling out of business. We can then start from scratch and let the real lovers in cycling direct where and how the sport of cycling will go.

Please make a difference.
Greg

Respect for Greg. And there's the answer, lads, right in front of you.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Go Greg.

Most of you probably have read it but for those who didn't: There is a great book about LeMond and Hinault (something with like "Beat the Badger?", sorry forgot the exact title) that gives a lot of insight into Gregs and Bernard character. It seem Greg was one of the few big TdF champions that wasn't a bully.

Albatros said:
I know this "little" in-congruence amounts to nothing for Lemond followers, blah blah blah

That's so specific it can't be denied!!!! I think you should contact Livestrong for your $300,000. Except, it's probably down to a case of yellow bracelets now given all the fraud he actively sought and alll.. Sorry about that. Frowny-face for you....

Albatros said:

Ohhh... Don't mention this one to Wonderboy because there wasn't oxygen vector doping at the time... So a natural talent as Lemond proved himself over and over and over again raced at the front, again and got second. Good job Greg!

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I considered it. Armstrong had since 2001 with huge money available to discover LeMond's doping. He couldn't. Lawyer's, huge entourage, paid assistants, mechanics, doctors, etc and no doubt Private investigators to dig the dirt.

Let's say Lemond did dope and all his friends are covering up. It just goes to show that good friends are worth more than 125million dollars.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
thegripo said:
dude, get it over it, i HATE lance. I raced with him when he was 15-18 in triathlons. don't think he doped then and that he had huge talent/potential.

If Lemond doped or not is irrelevant. but refusing to even consider it, is.

Ok first off How do you judge whether or not Lance doped in high school as a triathlete? Steroids run rampant through texas high school football, those same steroids would build the muscle for the swim and the bike. So you refuse to look at the possibility that Lance was taking steriods as many texas high school students did at the time. Why? wishful thinking?

Now on to Lemond. Many of us HAVE considered it. I did when i was reading Paul Kimmage's first book "a Rough ride". I considered it right up until i got to the chapter where Paul mentioned how he was not going to specifically name the dopers but instead would offer the one rider that he was sure never doped. Greg Lemond. Then he went on to explain how he came to that conclusion. When the guy leading the charge for clean cycling says the one person he would stake his reputation on being clean is Greg Lemond, most people tend to give that opinion considerable weight. Then when you look at some of the facts, Greg had fantastic VO2Max, far higher than Armstrong. Greg had successfully raced as a young junior, against some of the best cyclists in the Nation , then later the World and won. He immediately followed that up with high placings at the World's and the TDF. It has been a consistently high level of accomplishment.

Now because Armstrong is dirty, brave people on the internet are slinging mud Greg's way. Despite that, his contemporaries vouch for him, the leading anti doping activist vouches for him, only internet trolls continue to question his accomplishments. Just because he was an amazing athlete at a young age does not mean he doped.

Since you said you were a triathlete here is a little test for you. If a high school sophmore runs a best of 5:38 for the mile, is it possible for him to break the four minute mile the next year without drugs? Sound impossible?
Jim Ryun did just that. Made the Olympic team while still in high school. Ending up running just 3 seconds slower than the world mile record while still in high school 3:55. And he was totally clean. But because Lance is dirty you think everyone else is as well and it is simply not true:p

the delgados said:
Anyone who thinks top riders from Lemond's era rode the Tour clean should read "Rough Ride."
Kimmage doesn't have to name names for readers to put two and two together.
As Wiggins said, Santa does not exist.

And as many, many, many people (both with and without actual expertise) have said, doping before about 1986-87 was not a game changer for GT's. It was more about doing the 200 races a year that you had to do in order to make a good living. Tour, post Tour crits etc. etc. etc.
Quoting Wigans sure does give you the leg up in the believably race, but "doping" pre/blood vector drugs is absolutely not the same as post.
To dumb it down to a level where (hopefully) some of you fanboys might get it: Speed might help a racehorse win more races but only EPO/blood transfusions will make a racehorse out of a plowhorse.

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
I dont think Lemond is the answer. I would give Julian Savulescu the keys to the car.

I'm guessing (hoping) that's a joke, but for the benefit of anyone unfamiliar with Savulescu, he is the last person I want anywhere near the sport of cycling. He believes it should be a no-holds-barred doping free-for-all. Possibly the only person I'm aware of who could actually make it worse than it already is.

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Cimacoppi49 said:
What it confirms for me is that Greg Lemond wrote it. Not a pr guy like Fabiani or an "attorney" like Herman. Paddy and Dopey Verdruggin are the core problem causing the decay and rot at the very core of the sport.

I hope US racers protest as suggested by Lemond. Don't renew your Weasel USACycling license. Race at the regional level and give your money to a regional association for a year. Money talks. Tell Steve Johnson and his buddies to go screw themselves in their dead nether regions.

Guys, the only problem with not renewing our licenses is that we will put a lot of local race directors out of business. I'm all for not getting a USCycling license but not at the expense of local RDs, one of which is a good friend of mine.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
the delgados said:
Anyone who thinks top riders from Lemond's era rode the Tour clean should read "Rough Ride."
Kimmage doesn't have to name names for readers to put two and two together.
As Wiggins said, Santa does not exist.

Funny, Kimmage says LeMond was clean. :D

TRENDING THREADS