• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Race Results 2020

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

burning said:
It's sad that he's racing this race instead of Ronde

Valverde likes races with low quality fields that are easy to control.

He's scared of races with high quality fields that are difficult to control and where the average intelligence of cyclists is higher than the IQ of a goldfish.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
jsem94 said:
Too easy for him. Big fish in a small pond in all these Spanish races.
These races would be much more interesting without Valverde/such a strong Movistar team. But it's the same for the smaller Belgian races and Quick Step.

Difference is that Quick-Step wins those races with very young riders, who have yet to prove themselves.

Even though Cannibalverde clearly is the big fish in these races, I think it's important for the organizers to have guys like him turn up and light it up. There's been plenty of economic polemics surrounding the Spanish cycling scene, so if a race keeps its funding due to him showing up, kudos on that. But the racing would be more competitive without him.

Re: Lesser Known Race Results 2018

DZoJCmkXUAAsqME.jpg

Lasterketa Burua <3

El Pistolero said:
LaFlorecita said:
jsem94 said:
Too easy for him. Big fish in a small pond in all these Spanish races.
These races would be much more interesting without Valverde/such a strong Movistar team. But it's the same for the smaller Belgian races and Quick Step.

Difference is that Quick-Step wins those races with very young riders, who have yet to prove themselves.
True

Re:

Kazistuta said:
Even though Cannibalverde clearly is the big fish in these races, I think it's important for the organizers to have guys like him turn up and light it up. There's been plenty of economic polemics surrounding the Spanish cycling scene, so if a race keeps its funding due to him showing up, kudos on that. But the racing would be more competitive without him.
I don't mind Valverde taking part in these kinds of smaller races per se, but does he have to go for the win? He could ride as a helper for his younger teammates; this would be seen as a generous gesture for riders who ride for him the rest of the season and his presence would still bring some media attention that these races need. As it is, he just looks selfish.

jflemaire said:
Kazistuta said:
I don't mind Valverde taking part in these kinds of smaller races per se, but does he have to go for the win? He could ride as a helper for his younger teammates; this would be seen as a generous gesture for riders who ride for him the rest of the season and his presence would still bring some media attention that these races need. As it is, he just looks selfish.

Valverde gifted numerous races to his teammates throughout his career, you obviously didn't follow him closely.He gave Spanish Championships to Herrada, Izagirre and Rojas, Klasika Primavera to Visconti. He rode many times in service of his teammates. Heck he even gifted wins to non-teammates, like Szmyd at Mont Ventoux and Luisle (arguably) in Murcia this year. Valverde is one of the most generous riders in terms of riding for teammates in the whole peloton, so I lost you a little bit at this one :confused:
As for this particular race (GP Indurain), he would be more than happy if Betancur could've hold on for the win, or if Soler could've broke through on that penultimate climb when Betancur was caught. But the truth was that Verona was stronger than both, so only he could've beat him, as he did.

Blanco said:
Valverde gifted numerous races to his teammates throughout his career, you obviously didn't follow him closely.He gave Spanish Championships to Herrada, Izagirre and Rojas, Klasika Primavera to Visconti. He rode many times in service of his teammates. Heck he even gifted wins to non-teammates, like Szmyd at Mont Ventoux and Luisle (arguably) in Murcia this year. Valverde is one of the most generous riders in terms of riding for teammates in the whole peloton, so I lost you a little bit at this one :confused:
As for this particular race (GP Indurain), he would be more than happy if Betancur could've hold on for the win, or if Soler could've broke through on that penultimate climb when Betancur was caught. But the truth was that Verona was stronger than both, so only he could've beat him, as he did.
All right, I stand corrected, then. But to my defense, it's hard to keep track of all races he enters. There's just so many of them!