• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Race Results 2020

Page 97 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sure, the race was a farce due to a rider raising his voice about road safety and not due to the two riders who fix the race every year.

Movistar and Astana could have ridden yesterday to control the lead of the break but they did not want to - that's not on Trentin

The organizers even kind of apologized for the awful design of the finishing kms of stage 1, stating it was a request of the local goverment which paid for hosting the finish of the stage and not their own choice.

Rewatch the closing kms of 2018 and also the end of the edition won by Taaramae and then blame it on Trentin again - who, by the way, has been riding the race for several years so he does not have a grudge against Murcia.

This race is disgusting and makes a terrible impression of the local region. Honestly it should disappear or being severely modified.

And finally, shoutout for supporting Omertá.

When you have a rider blaming "bad road conditions" and then actively PREVENTING the peloton from even riding a normal pace and others being convinced to do the same thing. Then YES it's on him. Oh by the way he's not apologizing and saying the race was fully safe and there was nothing wrong with the roads. Thus making him look even WORSE. Guess when he got major pushback from other riders and fans he realized he made a big mistake and managed to make enemies within the peloton and now he's trying to soothe that out.

I still don't follow why the race (Murcia) was a debacle. I only saw the end of stage 1 but it looked like they were racing to me. Or maybe they should annul the results of Stage 1 and give Luis Leon Sanchez the GC victory because Xandro Meurisse isn't considered a big enough star by the locals?

To me, once the bigger teams were happy with the Stage 1 break, it didn't matter whether the peloton lost 2 min or 16 min. Actually, the bigger time gap was better for the race because allowed for a more interesting Stage 2. If the time gaps were smaller, the stronger riders would be less likely able to get away and more teams would control for a dull reduced-bunch sprint.

Stage 2 would have been raced the same way. Heck stage 2 is the route for the one day race from 2018 and before. Thus stage 1 results literally had ZERO baring on how stage 2 was raced. If anything stage 2 would have been a much BETTER stage (like last year's was) IF the real GC riders could have actually raced for GC. As it was it wasn't anything compared to previous years. Last year with very SMALL time gaps this exactly same stage 2 has a bunch sprint of Valverde and Sanchez.

When you have a rider blaming "bad road conditions" and then actively PREVENTING the peloton from even riding a normal pace and others being convinced to do the same thing. Then YES it's on him.
Honest question from someone who did not watch the race: How did Trentin do that? How did he stop the rest of the peloton from racing if the other riders wanted to? I didn’t think he had that kind of sway.

Honest question from someone who did not watch the race: How did Trentin do that? How did he stop the rest of the peloton from racing if the other riders wanted to? I didn’t think he had that kind of sway.

Get in the line and slow down the field when it's your turn and just be very disruptive. Yes riders can do that. Then the riders who want to race get frustrated and basically give up. That's what happened. The peloton gave up. The peloton was riding those roads slower than a normal group ride rides those roads. (That is from several locals who ride, train and race on those roads. They were not impressed.)

I am confused - Koronin and her American cohorts often complain about lack of cycling races on USA TV/Cable etc, so I am unsure whether they actually watched the race - Yet when i watched the live coverage of stage 1 of Murcia the break had nearly 20 minutes, and YET this was all caused by Trentin which is hard to believe - Anyway nearly every stage race has at least one boring stage - That's life.

I am confused - Koronin and her American cohorts often complain about lack of cycling races on USA TV/Cable etc, so I am unsure whether they actually watched the race - Yet when i watched the live coverage of stage 1 of Murcia the break had nearly 20 minutes, and YET this was all caused by Trentin which made no sense at

He's just the worst.

He didn't even strike in the rain in Yorkshire. So inconsistent.

• Haha
Reactions: Roku
I am confused - Koronin and her American cohorts often complain about lack of cycling races on USA TV/Cable etc, so I am unsure whether they actually watched the race - Yet when i watched the live coverage of stage 1 of Murcia the break had nearly 20 minutes, and YET this was all caused by Trentin which is hard to believe - Anyway nearly every stage race has at least one boring stage - That's life.

For what it's worth, I'm American, and between FloBikes, NBC Sports Gold, and new-to-me GCN I can watch something close to 200 road races and stages a year. This is a golden age of legal (and relatively economical) access to races from around the world in the US.

For what it's worth, I'm American, and between FloBikes, NBC Sports Gold, and new-to-me GCN I can watch something close to 200 road races and stages a year. This is a golden age of legal (and relatively economical) access to races from around the world in the US.
True, if you're a rabid cycling fan, you can watch anything, even if you're in te US. I've been watching any race I want to watch for at least a decade now without ever signing up for NBC, flobikes, or any other service.

Reactions: yaco

TRENDING THREADS