• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser known races 2023 edition

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
there was a bit more about it in Belgian media today, among others:

(gt) “That difference in quality does exist”, it sounds there. “Without pointing the finger at anyone, but the devices that are sent to the competitions from the provincial departments are less modern. The space around the finish line is also an important factor. It was reportedly insufficient in Roeselare. An arrangement on top of a truck is ideal. The higher the camera is, the better the view and the smaller the chance of obstruction. In Roeselare you saw that the camera - due to a lack of sufficient cable length - was placed somewhere inside, behind glass. Hence the water drops on the window. Which made the picture blurry.”

full article: https://pressreader.com/article/281904482390516

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Here's the article (in Dutch) about what Samamba referred to.

DSM's tactic in these smaller races this year is pretty annoying. Understandable, but boring. They just jump on everyones wheel and then don't pull cause they want a sprint with Welsford. All these Benelux race turning into even more boring sprint races.

Doesn't help that Drenthe has completely butchered their parcours, making it impossible to make the race hard if there's not a lot of wind.

EDIT: some echelon action now.

Last edited:
Database developers.

Ex aequo winners are just a pain the rear end to programme. I mean, how do you decide which one comes first when you list them in a table? You can't!

As with Highlanders, there can be only one winner.
And seeing as Connor McLeod was born in 1518 and is Anglophone, I can only surmise that Israel-PremierTech are approaching him with a contract.

• Haha
Laurenz Rez won the Dorpenomloop Rucphen, beating Gianluca Pollefliet and Andrea Raccagni Noviero (first year U23) in a late attack.

But how did Laurenz Rex - a WT rider - win the Dorpenomloop Ruchpen - a cat.2 race?
I get that he was guest-riding for the devo-squad, but I thought WT riders weren't allowed to guest-ride for devo-squads in cat.2 race. Just like devo riders aren't allowed to guest-ride for WT-squads in WT races.

And seeing as Connor McLeod was born in 1518 and is Anglophone, I can only surmise that Israel-PremierTech are approaching him with a contract.

Who?

• Wow
But how did Laurenz Rex - a WT rider - win the Dorpenomloop Ruchpen - a cat.2 race?
I get that he was guest-riding for the devo-squad, but I thought WT riders weren't allowed to guest-ride for devo-squads in cat.2 race. Just like devo riders aren't allowed to guest-ride for WT-squads in WT races.

They're allowed to field one WT rider in .2 races.

The Highlander.

Yeah he's ridiculously good, helpen by weird tactics from the others but still impressive when youre only 19y old.
Hagenes already was among the Jumbo riders who pulled the peloton apart in the crosswinds. In fact his pulls forced the selection. He then countered Campenaerts attack out of the front group with roughly 15 kilometres to go. Initiating the breakaway with Vermeersch and eventually jumped clear with 2 kilometres to go. Vermeersch instantly reacted, but simply wasn't able to reel Hagenes in.

Hagenes attacked 3 times, forcing a selection on each occasion until he took the win. Strong performance indeed.

It was a nice race overall. At least the final 25 kilometres with the crosswinds, rain and small, twisty roads led to exciting racing. Personally I didn't really miss crossing VAM-berg twice more.

Very tough conditions. Riders were covered with mud. Still ended up being a beach day though! :D

Last edited: