• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Louis Meintjes thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

greenedge said:
He seems to have better endurance than both the Yates brother's but seems to start GT's on the back foot. I'm hopeful he can do a top 5 at the Giro next year and ride more aggressively.

Not sure about that. They are not afraid to attack while he never attacks although maybe he's not good enough to attack. It has to happen sooner or later.

EVdkrN0.png

Believe

Re:

greenedge said:
He seems to have better endurance than both the Yates brother's but seems to start GT's on the back foot. I'm hopeful he can do a top 5 at the Giro next year and ride more aggressively.
Wouldn't be possible to ride less aggressively, so the latter part of that isn't the most adventurous requirement.

He has an incredible knack of always having exactly the right amount of strength required to be absolutely on his limit and unable to do a turn yet always just supposedly strong enough to follow the tempo.

Seriously, though, the Giro might be good for him. It's the race least given to conservative tempo riding (2012 excepted) and it's harder for him to justify riding defensively to protect 8th place as is his tendency, and so he might be forced into taking a bit more responsibility on. Unfortunately for him, at this point he does not have the TT weapon that pre-Mendrisio Evans, Leipheimer, even for a more direct comparison van Garderen have, so if he wants to progress above his current niche, he's going to have to learn to show his face at some point, whether that be by improving his TT enough to be a threat in them, or becoming a more interesting and active racer in the mountains. At the moment I could walk past him on the street and have no idea who he was.

Maybe it's just the constant Eurosport hype of him and I finally want them to be proven right instead of getting annoyed every time they mention him. Mainly because if he rides aggressively and gets a top 5 it would be a good confirmation from him. Also I think the climbs will suit him a lot so i'm intrigued to see whether he can go well.

Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
greenedge said:
Wouldn't be possible to ride less aggressively, so the latter part of that isn't the most adventurous requirement.

He has an incredible knack of always having exactly the right amount of strength required to be absolutely on his limit and unable to do a turn yet always just supposedly strong enough to follow the tempo.

Seriously, though, the Giro might be good for him. It's the race least given to conservative tempo riding (2012 excepted) and it's harder for him to justify riding defensively to protect 8th place as is his tendency, and so he might be forced into taking a bit more responsibility on. Unfortunately for him, at this point he does not have the TT weapon that pre-Mendrisio Evans, Leipheimer, even for a more direct comparison van Garderen have, so if he wants to progress above his current niche, he's going to have to learn to show his face at some point, whether that be by improving his TT enough to be a threat in them, or becoming a more interesting and active racer in the mountains. At the moment I could walk past him on the street and have no idea who he was.

Why would a team sign him ? He's not a winner, not even a stage winner. You are only signing him for what he might do in the future but sponsors want more than that these days usually. If it's not lack of confidence which I think it partially is he has to try more. Either target stages or change his schedule. Aiming for top 10 results based simply on endurance makes even formerly timid riders like Evans look like Cancellara. Evans tried and usually paid for his efforts but he became better at managing his efforts over three weeks. But comparing Evans with him is like apples and oranges. Even Moncoutie targeted the KOM jersey and sometimes won stages even though he was often very passive in his races and couldn't ride in the bunch. His style was to sit on the back until the race hit the right stage for him to try something.

gregrowlerson said:
portugal11 said:
and he is targetting the 2020 tour and he hipes winning it... I'm laughing so hard right now

It's 2017 right now, he is fairly young, and he already climbs at a consistently very high level. Winning the Tour in 2020 is not that ridiculous a dream.

Or nightmare, for the forum :D

Maybe when he has a team like Froome, he just needs to follow his teammates who will crush every one else :lol:

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

gregrowlerson said:
portugal11 said:
and he is targetting the 2020 tour and he hipes winning it... I'm laughing so hard right now

It's 2017 right now, he is fairly young, and he already climbs at a consistently very high level. Winning the Tour in 2020 is not that ridiculous a dream.

Or nightmare, for the forum :D
c'mon man, he is always hanging on, even when there is 20 riders in the peloton. his time trialling is awful so how the hell can he win the tour against froome, quintana, (maybe bernal), aru, dumoulin? he only can target a top5, this should be his dream (unfortunately for us)

hrotha said:
greenedge said:
I'm hopeful he can do a top 5 at the Giro next year and ride more aggressively.
Why, though?

I mean, why would anyone but his closest relatives and friends hope for anything good (sports-wise) to happen to him?

oh dear ffs. you mad? ok, the guy is a diesel and hangs on for dear life to the top10 places, not spectacular, but not wanting for anything good sport-wise to happen to him is mean.
:mad:

Think Meintjes biggest issue is he has a limited skill set - Has won a stage and GC at Coppa Bartali which is a 2.1 race - Struggle to see him winning a one week stage race with his TT deficiencies, has been in trouble during cross wind days and has shown little in one day races - My guess is he will work on his GC for the next three years and then be a domestique.

movingtarget said:
hrotha said:
Why? If he does well, that means someone else is doing a bit worse. If I have to choose, I choose anyone but Meintjes.

Has there ever been a more anonomous top 10 GC rider ? Even Zubeldia didn't become a true ninja until he became a top 20 or 30 rider.
I don't think so.

Leipheimer, Zubeldia, Bruseghin, Galdeano, Zülle, Jaskula, Honchar, Popovych, Julich, Zoetemelk, Kuiper, Olano all have been more prominent than Meintjes. Some even notable in either quality, palmares or aggressiveness.

Jose Enrique Gutierrez and Aitor Gonzalez at least have podiumed (Giro) or actually won (Vuelta and Tour of Switzerland) important bike races!

Yea, for the most part everyone in that list has attacked. He wants to get top 10 or higher which if he is happy with that that's fine though he could probably win a stage like tvg.

On a unrelated note I did won the tour with him on 2017 tour de france game for the Xbox.

TRENDING THREADS