• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Tweets like these are a few of the reasons I dislike Cav.

https://twitter.com/#!/MarkCavendish/status/184003162607329282
Well #GentWevelgem didn't go as planned. Comfortable over Kemmelberg twice, but wasn't expecting someone in top25 to leave a gap on descent.

Just man up Cav, if you were strong enough you wouldve been on the first 30 that finished, but you rode like 70th spot on the Kemmelberg. Only person to blame is yourself.

EDIT: Seems Dominic posted it before I did aswell :p

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Cav also said that in his interview, using multiple media to get his point across.

I actually thought he looked one of the strongest in that chasing group today which begs the question, if he was that strong why sit 25 back at a crucial point in the race?

Havetts said:
Tweets like these are a few of the reasons I dislike Cav.

https://twitter.com/#!/MarkCavendish/status/184003162607329282

Just man up Cav, if you were strong enough you wouldve been on the first 30 that finished, but you rode like 70th spot on the Kemmelberg. Only person to blame is yourself.

EDIT: Seems Dominic posted it before I did aswell :p

Why didn't he bridge the gap? How many gaps did he recreate when he was constantly getting dropped in MSR? Also his identifying the bottle that took him out recently as being a Katusha bottle is another sign that he has to identify fault anywhere he can find it, as if he's tossed his empty bottles only in the nearest trash receptacle but never on the road.:rolleyes:

theyoungest said:
In the Sporza interview he even says who left the gap: Micky Schär. What on earth could be the point of mentioning the guy's name? It's always someone else's fault. You need to be closer to the front in the decisive moments of the race, fool.

Stuff like that probably inspires riders to create gaps when they discover him on their wheel. What a child he can be. :(

I'm glad we got Cavendish in the peloton that's for sure.

Atleast we get to have some drama :)
He rarely is strong enough for the finale during a classic, but he certainly wants to be. I like his determination.
He allready win M-SR which is quite exceptional for a rider like him tbh, but I'm pretty sure he'll get to win a race like Gent-Wevelgem some day.

Havetts said:

Lol. He was top 30 on Kemmel, pretty good for a pure sprinter's standard, and way in front of guys like Greipel and Degenkolb. Hence the frustration, I guess.

But then again, Rojas was on Cav's wheel on the Kemmel descent and 2 mins later, Rojas was in the 1st group while Cav wasn't. So yeah, he should stop whining and wonder how Rojas did manage to be there and he didn't.

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Kwibus said:
I'm glad we got Cavendish in the peloton that's for sure.

Atleast we get to have some drama :)
He rarely is strong enough for the finale during a classic, but he certainly wants to be. I like his determination.
He allready win M-SR which is quite exceptional for a rider like him tbh, but I'm pretty sure he'll get to win a race like Gent-Wevelgem some day.

He gets an A for effort...

Angliru said:
Also his identifying the bottle that took him out recently as being a Katusha bottle is another sign that he has to identify fault anywhere he can find it, as if he's tossed his empty bottles only in the nearest trash receptacle but never on the road.:rolleyes:

This particular criticism is unjustified.

That was someone else's fault.

And as far as you know he has "tossed his empty bottles only in the nearest trash receptacle but never on the road."

You can't attack him as a hypocrite because you assume he did that thing wrong.

If I crashed because someone threw a bottle I definately would be ****ed.

And what is he supposed to say "Thank you sir may I have another"?

The Hitch said:
This particular criticism is unjustified.

That was someone else's fault.

And as far as you know he has "tossed his empty bottles only in the nearest trash receptacle but never on the road."

You can't attack him as a hypocrite because you assume he did that thing wrong.

If I crashed because someone threw a bottle I definately would be ****ed.

And what is he supposed to say "Thank you sir may I have another"?

Okaaaaay. Then he's missed his calling and maybe should move to the US and try out as a qb in the NFL.

Its easy from the armchair but he says that a gap of 30 metres opened up. Being a sprinter couldnt he have just tried to sprint across? Might have hurt his sprint later in the race but that's part of being a classics rider i would have thought?

There's no way Cavendish shouldn't make the front group after being in the top 30 over the Kemmelberg. Terrible job from Sky. He was completely isolated on the descent which is ridiculous really.

This tweet from Chris Sutton tells me that ''words'' have been said on the bus after the race:

''Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own..''

I don't mind him complaining about the water bottle - sure, riders throw their bidons away all the time, but across a crowded péloton is probably a bad idea, and besides Cav admitted about San Remo that it was just a terrible day for him.

Complaining about Michael Schär leaving a gap on a descent simply will not do, however, when confronted with the hard and simple fact that a rider who was in the front group to contest the finish had been behind him at the start of the descent (Rojas, as pointed out above). Therefore, at some point between cresting the Kemmelberg and Michael Schär "leaving a gap", Cavendish either sank back in the group (which would be naïve as it makes you more vulnerable to a split like that, and as we know, this kind of thing happens quite often in the Classics) OR José Joaquín Rojas spotted some kind of danger that he thought would split the bunch, and moved forwards in the nick of time (which would suggest that Cav needs to be more attentive otherwise he'd have spotted the same warning signs Rojas had).

Frosty said:
Its easy from the armchair but he says that a gap of 30 metres opened up. Being a sprinter couldnt he have just tried to sprint across? Might have hurt his sprint later in the race but that's part of being a classics rider i would have thought?

I'm surprised he was so isolated that he had no teammates to attempt to bridge the gag and pull him back.

Angliru said:
I'm surprised he was so isolated that he had no teammates to attempt to bridge the gag and pull him back.

I'm sure the Schar stuff is just to distract from the fact that he's ****ed with his own team. You don't leave arguably the fastest sprinter in history isolated on a descent before a 35km flat run in to a finish.

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
I didn't know that many here posted their actual whereabouts. I am one in a minority. I'd be curious to see your unofficial polling numbers.

Also what does one (Tyler Farrar) have to do with the other (critiquing Cavendish)? I really haven't noticed much if any of a following in this forum for Farrar. I have nothing against the guy but I would think there are many more here who support Greipel, Petacchi, Freire, even Kenny Van Hummel in their posts than Farrar.

Haussler was in his rights to protect himself from Cavendish. You have a rider who you can see moving in your direction it's only natural to extend your elbows to protect yourself. Had Cav not followed such an exaggerated line across the road there would've been no contact and thus no crash. It was a simple case of a rider at less than his best form desperately attempting to do the same things he's done when in peak form.
The press had been ragging on him, the results weren't flowing like they had previously and he was feeling the pressure to get a win.

I'm only going to deal with what matters. Look at one minute twenty seven on the link I posted (how many times do I have to spell it out). That's not an elbow it's a clear shoulder barge and it's what takes the lot of them down. There's protecting your line and there's stupidity. As I have said Cavendish isn't blameless in this instance but it was Haussler that brought them down therefore it was unfair that they all pinned the blame on Cavendish. Better get to Specsavers, eat some carrots and don't abuse yourself in your spare time.

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
JRanton said:
I'm sure the Schar stuff is just to distract from the fact that he's ****ed with his own team. You don't leave arguably the fastest sprinter in history isolated on a descent before a 35km flat run in to a finish.

I didn't see the race, so I'm wondering if the riders ment to support Cav could be tired after having to do a lot of work before that descent, or was it all bad tactics or poor shape?

Anyway, Cav should take more responsibility when he fails.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
hmsgenoa said:
I'm only going to deal with what matters. Look at one minute twenty seven on the link I posted (how many times do I have to spell it out). That's not an elbow it's a clear shoulder barge and it's what takes the lot of them down. There's protecting your line and there's stupidity. As I have said Cavendish isn't blameless in this instance but it was Haussler that brought them down therefore it was unfair that they all pinned the blame on Cavendish. Better get to Specsavers, eat some carrots and don't abuse yourself in your spare time.

Just jumping into this but are you honestly saying that Haussler was the one responsible in the TDS crash??

TRENDING THREADS