• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

McQuaid: 2010 Giro blood tests show cycling is cleaner

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
"We've had four to five hundred tests analysed, including 6-8 riders from the top twelve, and their haemoglobin levels are going down from week one to week two, and down again in week three," claimed McQuaid.

"In the past we've seen situations where the level has gone down then back up again, which can be evidence of blood transfusions."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-tests-show-cycling-is-cleaner-mcquaid-says

So, um, Mr. McQuaid, care to comment on Armstrong's 2009 Tour blood values?

hematocrit and hemoglobin on 7/2, 2 days before the start of the race, were 42.8 and 14.3. On 7/25, one day before the last day of the race, it was 43 and 14.5. Also, 7/13 was a rest day, and his numbers rise from 40.7 and 13.7 on 7/11 to 43.1 and 14.4 on 7/14. On 7/20, another rest day, his numbers are 41.7 and 14, and then 43 and 14.5 on 7/25.

Source:http://nyvelocity.com/content/features/2009/armstrong-tour-blood-values-suspicious

Kennf1 said:
"We've had four to five hundred tests analysed, including 6-8 riders from the top twelve, and their haemoglobin levels are going down from week one to week two, and down again in week three," claimed McQuaid.

"In the past we've seen situations where the level has gone down then back up again, which can be evidence of blood transfusions."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-tests-show-cycling-is-cleaner-mcquaid-says

hematocrit and hemoglobin on 7/2, 2 days before the start of the race, were 42.8 and 14.3. On 7/25, one day before the last day of the race, it was 43 and 14.5. Also, 7/13 was a rest day, and his numbers rise from 40.7 and 13.7 on 7/11 to 43.1 and 14.4 on 7/14. On 7/20, another rest day, his numbers are 41.7 and 14, and then 43 and 14.5 on 7/25.

Source:http://nyvelocity.com/content/features/2009/armstrong-tour-blood-values-suspicious

Why do you love cancer so much?

You have to love the UCI's double think...or maybe double think plus plus in this case. On one hand they assure us that the sport is getting cleaner, but on the other hand they refuse to acknowledge that it was a total dopefest just a few years ago. They continue to back Armstrong and are outraged that FLandis has leaked info that shows that Armstrong's wins are illegitimate. It makes my head hurt.

McQuaid

Mcquaid is a total dissaster for the future of cycling, and is up to his neck in the corruption of covering up the Armstrong failed drugs tests.
Armstrong is sure to get away with it all and it only cost him $25000, not the $100000, as lance never lies everybody else does !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
You have to love the UCI's double think...or maybe double think plus plus in this case. On one hand they assure us that the sport is getting cleaner, but on the other hand they refuse to acknowledge that it was a total dopefest just a few years ago. They continue to back Armstrong and are outraged that FLandis has leaked info that shows that Armstrong's wins are illegitimate. It makes my head hurt.

Is it really double think? Seems to me nothing has changed in the sport since the Festina affair. I see two constants at work here: (1) there has been doping, is doping, and will be doping (reality); (2) progress is always being made to overcome the misconception that doping isn't as bad now as it has been (propaganda). Some of the players and techniques have changed, but same game of charades is being played. I'm so cynical as to wonder if the supposedly self-transparent Jonathan Vaughters/Garmin approach is merely a ruse.

Re: the supposed illegitimacy of Armstrong's wins, do you suggest we give them to the 2nd best doper those years? Gotta suck to be Ullrich, having to live with the realization that if he and his handlers had only gotten the microdosing and other techniques mastered, the outcome may have been different.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Kennf1 said:

Why would he comment on that? The UCI unlike AFLD do not make accusations based on speculation. Lots of other factors play a role on the hemacrit and hemoglobin levels from drinking and eating habits to recovery. Not every human exhibits the exact same characteristics. Hence this data is not used by WADA to provide evidence of doping. I commend McQuaid for not commenting on Lance other than he has not failed a test - that should be UCI position. Did Lance dope? Probably....

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
goober said:
Why would he comment on that? The UCI unlike AFLD do not make accusations based on speculation.

What?

You forget the accusations the UCI tossed at Floyd, Simeoni, Kohl, Schumacher, Manzano and anyone else who rocks the boat

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
This part is funny

he added that there had been no contact with anyone else in Armstrong's camp. "No, other than that I met Bruyneel at a race somewhere, and we talked about it," said McQuaid.

The UCI president was vague, however, on whether that conversation happened before or after the emails were made public. "I'm not sure now whether it was before or after. But we've had no contact [since] and no need to be in contact. I mean, why? To my mind what's going on is between Landis and Armstrong, [Greg] LeMond and Armstrong, and Landis/LeMond and Armstrong.

Pat cannot even lie well. Pretending like he did not remember calling a meeting with JV, Och, and The Hog at the ToC. Hoping nobody saw them.

Pat even has the Public Strategies talking points down, pretending that this is somehow Landis/Lemond against Armstrong. Dude must have been drinking too much again and missed the part about the $500,000 payoff, the advanced notice of OOC testing.

goober said:
Hence this data is not used by WADA to provide evidence of doping. I commend McQuaid for not commenting on Lance other than he has not failed a test - that should be UCI position.

So the UCI's position should be, free Piti...?

Let's face it, Pat McQuaid has had a lot to say about people who've thrown accusations out there (Simeoni, Kohl, Manzano and co.), and those people have usually been proven correct. He's had a lot to say about people who haven't failed a test, or hadn't at the time (di Luca, Valverde).

Race Radio said:
This part is funny

Pat cannot even lie well. Pretending like he did not remember calling a meeting with JV, Och, and The Hog at the ToC. Hoping nobody saw them.

Pat even has the Public Strategies talking points down, pretending that this is somehow Landis/Lemond against Armstrong. Dude must have been drinking too much again and missed the part about the $500,000 payoff, the advanced notice of OOC testing.

"..at a race somewhere". Is he kidding? Like how many races has McQuaid been at recently whereby Bruyneel was also there? The ToC is the only one. He makes it sound so "by the way". They've met to get their stoires straight. Useless.

Giro Doping

goober said:
Why would he comment on that? The UCI unlike AFLD do not make accusations based on speculation. Lots of other factors play a role on the hemacrit and hemoglobin levels from drinking and eating habits to recovery. Not every human exhibits the exact same characteristics. Hence this data is not used by WADA to provide evidence of doping. I commend McQuaid for not commenting on Lance other than he has not failed a test - that should be UCI position. Did Lance dope? Probably....

Surely the whole point of the UCI blood passport system is to search out irregular blood values.
Armstrongs results show that his blood values went up after each rest day, and they were the same at the start and the finish. contary to what all blood experts would expect to see.
The UCI reported Pellazoti to the Italian federation because 3 of the 9 UCI experts though his values were odd.
But them Pellazotti did not pay $25000 to $500000 to the UCI depending on who you belive.

thehog said:
"..at a race somewhere". Is he kidding? Like how many races has McQuaid been at recently whereby Bruyneel was also there? The ToC is the only one. He makes it sound so "by the way". They've met to get their stoires straight. Useless.
I guess that's what happens when amateurs gets involved in shady stuff they're not really cut out for. For all their mafioso dealings, they aren't mafiosos themselves, it shows and it could well be their undoing.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
orbeas said:
Surely the whole point of the UCI blood passport system is to search out irregular blood values.
Armstrongs results show that his blood values went up after each rest day, and they were the same at the start and the finish. contary to what all blood experts would expect to see.
The UCI reported Pellazoti to the Italian federation because 3 of the 9 UCI experts though his values were odd.
But them Pellazotti did not pay $25000 to $500000 to the UCI depending on who you belive.

Yep, you gotta pay to play. So, McQuaid is soliciting more donations?

orbeas said:

When the Landis story first broke McQuaid intial stance was "Lance is innocent we don't need an investigation".

I bet Pellazotti wished the UCI would protect him to that level. No need to look, we know Lance is innocent, case closed. It has changed somewhat now but if I was Pellazotti or any other rider I'd be p)ssed off.

"There are a lot of bad people out there who have done some bad things to me. Cycling … I think it’s everywhere, but there is a mafia in cycling. That’s pretty much all I’ll say about it, I’ll probably get banned from a race if I say any more, but there is a mafia out there."

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
What?

You forget the accusations the UCI tossed at Floyd, Simeoni, Kohl, Schumacher, Manzano and anyone else who rocks the boat

I don't recall the UCI acusing or speculating publicly any of these riders of doping without a failed drug test or self confession?

May 17, 2010
Visit site
They've been protecting lance for so long because him racing "is so good for cycling." When he gets caught it will be a terrible day for alot of people.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
goober said:
I don't recall the UCI acusing or speculating publicly any of these riders of doping without a failed drug test or self confession?

Your claim was that
the UCI unlike AFLD do not make accusations based on speculation.
I have shown you that the UCI commonly does this. When has the AFLD?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
This part is funny

This +1. And the OP.

Pat can be so funny sometimes. It's killing me.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
goober said:

No, McQuaid can't have it both ways. He can't say that a steady decrease in hemoglobin over a three week race is evidence there is less doping, and then say an increase or steady state of hemoglobin over a three week race is evidence of nothing.

We all know he won't actually comment on the question. The point is, he's just not very good at this whole spin thing.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Your claim was that I have shown you that the UCI commonly does this. When has the AFLD?

My quote is taken out of context; but, I fully understand why it could be taken that way. I was referring to speculation or accusation around testing towards a positive doping result. Yes, UCI makes many accusations in the opposite direction like in the Landis or Manzano situations, etc. Maybe not the best PR the way they approach it; but, this is not what their charter is - testing athletes for positive dope results (positive test results have to say it again).

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
goober said:
My quote is taken out of context; but, I fully understand why it could be taken that way. I was referring to speculation or accusation around testing towards a positive doping result. Yes, UCI makes many accusations in the opposite direction like in the Landis or Manzano situations, etc. Maybe not the best PR the way they approach it; but, this is not what their charter is - testing athletes for positive dope results (positive test results have to say it again).

When has the AFLD ever done this?

The UCI has done this. Just ask Valdimer Gusev

http://nyvelocity.com/content/features/2010/dirty-deal

TRENDING THREADS