• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Michael Rogers

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
sittingbison said:
several people have made the same inference. I thought I was pretty clear, but will try a last time.
Was I replying to you? No, so please leave me out of your statement of the bleeding obvious enlivened by a vigorous overuse of the bold facilities.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Franklin said:
There is an issue here and that's the role of DB. Any feigned surprise is indeed feigned. And so far there is no hint whatsoever that Mickey is being outed by DB.

The cases or Rogers and Leinders show that DB is a liar. There is no way that someone could be surprised about all this. And in the case of Leinders we have public court papers. Unless he's massively incompetent (which he obviously isn't) DB knew about this. And if he didn't know, tough fiddlesticks, he's still responsible and thus culpable.

Brailsford has dealt with this before. 2008. UK Cycling's worlds track team. Rob Hayles cracks the 50% Hct rule @ 50.3% and gets suspended for 2 weeks. Sees his Hct drop from 50.3 to 45% in 2 weeks with no racing. Not normal. That's the kind of drop you expect in someone doing a GT - over three weeks. Hayles did not get an invite to the Olympics that year.

131313 said:
I think the point is that there's a massive issue of denial at Sky WRT its riders and staff that makes it seem eerily like Postal V2.0:

-Leinders was hired to save people from flesh-eating bacteria (Have any of the team died from flesh eating bacteria? No, proves he was successful at SKY)

-Sean Yates had no idea anyone at Postal was doping (He was a mere driver)

-we had no idea that Michael Barry ever doped? (They were shocked and disappointed by that)

-Rogers went to Ferrari just for training advice... (as did many other committed non dopers.)

No, these actions don't have anything to do (directly) with current practices at Sky, but it reads like a pack of lies to anyone with a brain, and the denials come from the very top of the organization...which makes a reasonable person wonder something: where does the deception stop?

Those of you who do not believe in Sky are just haters.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
sittingbison said:
several people have made the same inference. I thought I was pretty clear, but will try a last time.

He has mentioned several names of other riders, including Dodger. There was no necessity to do so. The names could have been redacted like elsewhere, they were not. The reason the names are mentioned by Levi, and not redacted, is because he is saying they were ALL also doping with Dr Ferrari.

You may have to try again.

He names Rogers, because Rogers is someone he witnessed at the training. His name wasn't redacted was because there is no outstanding case with Rogers, not because he was inferring he was definitely doping.

That said, is it suspect that Rogers was training with Ferrari, absolutely. Does Rogers have some questions to answer, absolutely. Do I think Rogers is a likely doper...T-Mobile + Ferrari = yes. But your premise is incorrect.

Separately, the article referenced from Rupert Guinness is using old quotes from The Dodger (though this isn't made clear in the story), they are not new quotes in response to this report. He is yet to respond specifically to Levi's testimony.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I hope the British press get wind of this and start asking tough questions of Sky. Rogers is a senior member of the team and is clearly implicated as a client of Ferrari. He said this year he 'was in the form of his life' which considering he has almost certainly doped in the past means huge questions must be asked of his performance this season.

One mitigating factor is Ferrari saying this: 'riders who want to dope can't go to Teide anymore because the place is "bruciata" - monitored and known by the antidoping authorities' which should alleviate suspicions of Sky's training camps there. It won't of course....

JimmyFingers said:
I hope the British press get wind of this and start asking tough questions of Sky. Rogers is a senior member of the team and is clearly implicated as a client of Ferrari. He said this year he 'was in the form of his life' which considering he has almost certainly doped in the past means huge questions must be asked of his performance this season.

One mitigating factor is Ferrari saying this: 'riders who want to dope can't go to Teide anymore because the place is "bruciata" - monitored and known by the antidoping authorities' which should alleviate suspicions of Sky's training camps there. It won't of course....

Haha, are you joking? Seriously.

The English press and cycling are like Lance and the truth, they just dont happen.

Radio 5LIve are doing a 2h show on Monday evening at 7pm on dirty cycling. I really do not want to listen to it as it will be poorly researched and presented.

The only time cycling is in the media in the UK is July.

rata de sentina said:
Was I replying to you? No, so please leave me out of your statement of the bleeding obvious enlivened by a vigorous overuse of the bold facilities.

No problem rata, highlighting the bleeding obvious is for those that can't or refuse to see it. You obviously can so you're left out.

PCutter I agree with all you say except for Levi naming them. there is no training with Ferrari, only monitoring his doping program. Levi's inferences are all clear, Dodger and the rest are now implicated.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
MartinGT said:
Haha, are you joking? Seriously.

The English press and cycling are like Lance and the truth, they just dont happen.

Radio 5LIve are doing a 2h show on Monday evening at 7pm on dirty cycling. I really do not want to listen to it as it will be poorly researched and presented.

The only time cycling is in the media in the UK is July.

Actually you'll find cycling much more actively covered by the media, ever since Brad's TdF win and the Olympics. Froome in the Vuelta was even getting mentions on Radio 1 news, until he started to drop like a stone. And if someone on the press can smell a story, they will go after it. The tabloids can be like wild dogs when they want to be, and the adage of 'build 'em up, just to knock them down' definitely applies to the British press.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
sittingbison said:

LL testimony is SWORN, which means he put his hand on a bible and said he would tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Or be sent to prison for perjury.

His testimony is about his doping. He mentions in this testimony about doping the two episodes in 2005 because he went to Tenerife with Dr Ferrari to dope.

He has mentioned several names of other riders, including Dodger. There was no necessity to do so. The names could have been redacted like elsewhere, they were not. The reason the names are mentioned by Levi, and not redacted, is because he is saying they were ALL also doping with Dr Ferrari.

The reason for this is to demonstrate that Dr Ferrari is not a cycling trainer, he did not give training acvice, he is a doping doctor.

The reason for this is to pin this fact on Lance. Lance was working with Dr Ferrari the doping doctor. Lance did not pay $1m for training advice, he employed Ferrari as a doping doctor.

So by inference, Dodger has been named by Levi, under threat of going to jail if he lies, as being a client of doping doctor Ferrari being on Tenerife twice in 2005 to dope.
Firstly let me say that I think that his performances this year are 'incredible' (in the Christophe Bassons use of the word) however:
The peleton is climbing slower that in the past
Rogers is skinnier than I've ever seen him and the best way to improve climbing is to lose weight
Levi has made his statement to USADA, he can't perjure himself it isn't a court of law. He may have said the same thing to the FDA investigation and grand jury, we don't know as we don't have his testimony.

Increasing power output and endurance whilst also losing weight is rather 'incredible' though, as is traveling to Tenerife and being the only clean cyclist on the island - incredible!

JimmyFingers said:
Actually you'll find cycling much more actively covered by the media, ever since Brad's TdF win and the Olympics. Froome in the Vuelta was even getting mentions on Radio 1 news, until he started to drop like a stone. And if someone on the press can smell a story, they will go after it. The tabloids can be like wild dogs when they want to be, and the adage of 'build 'em up, just to knock them down' definitely applies to the British press.

Jimmy I agree.

Many a footballer/cricketer has suffered this fate. Beckham was Judus for a long time after his World Cup sending off. Gazza, Tuffers, Robbie Fowler. The list is endless.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
LOL his career is going down steadily after his best years, then suddenly after he was transferred to SKY, he was able to increase his output level compared with his best year, that was highly highly suspicious

maxmartin said:
I disagree. We are not comparing him with the rest of the peloton, we are comparing him with old himself under Ferrari's guidance. I can't remember exact source, but his power output this year increased 7% compared with his best level before. (might be wrong on 7% part)

maxmartin said:
that is exactly my point, Roger suddenly is better than his best years which is about 6 or 7 years ago

That's not what he said, so please stop repeating it.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The Norwegian newspaper VG published this interview with Lars Petter Nordhaug almost ten hours ago:
http://www.vg.no/sport/sykkel/artikkel.php?artid=10054930

Nordhaug is quoted as saying:

- For eksempel Michael Rogers som sier at han dopet seg tidligere i karrieren, men at han stoppet i 2006.

- Michael Rogers for instance, who says he was doping, but that he stopped in 2006.

I'm still presuming it is a typing error, that Michael Barry has been mixed up with Michael Rogers, but they haven't changed it in 10 hours,

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
One thing that is clear from the affidavits is that altitude training and hypoxic chambers chief use seems to be to mask EPO use, which nicely explains the reason for doing altitude training months before the Tour.

Didn't sky team go on a number of "altitude" training sessions this year?

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
wirral said:
I think I remember the Australian team at the Worlds announced he had a virus, possibly bronchitis, and said he would not ride.

Found the link.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12888/Sulzberger-called-up-to-replace-Michael-Rogers-in-Australian-squad-for-Elite-road-race.aspx

I always wonder if something showed up on Australia's internal controls and they withdrew him.

Read Tyler's book. It has the glossary on the cycling drug language. sudden virus, bronchitis....juice detected or doping test about to be conducted and the persons figures are in the red zone.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
jilbiker said:
Didn't sky team go on a number of "altitude" training sessions this year?

Indeed, but altitude training is very effective for training even without the fact that it masks EPO

And nearly all the big GC contenders do some altitude training at some point.

maxmartin said:
His physiological data and power output in Tour this year is better than his days associated with Dr. Ferrari. For me that is almost an absolute sign that he is doping right now in the SKY team.

Oh yeah Virus!!! Rogers and Froom miraculously increased their performance, because SKY detected and cured their virus problems. Give me a break!!!

Sorry, I was mixing topics in my response. I meant that I don't see his association with Ferrari as suggesting that he might be doping now. And then I was talking about his fluctuations as a separate thing, in the general 'did well some years, not others' sense. I haven't really examined his power data this year vs. others, and am not an expert in that, so you are very likely correct. I just mean that I believe it possible that someone who saw Ferrari years ago might be competing clean now, because they're scared, because they always wanted to but never had a team environment to do so, or whatever. That said I know nothing about and care little for rogers, so I have no idea what his mindset might be.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Indeed, but altitude training is very effective for training even without the fact that it masks EPO

And nearly all the big GC contenders do some altitude training at some point.

Liquigas trained at Teide too with Nibali. In fact at one point both teams were there. Ferrari also has referred to it as a no-go area for doping now, because the anti-doping authorities know about it and it is monitored closely.

JimmyFingers said:
Liquigas trained at Teide too with Nibali. In fact at one point both teams were there. Ferrari also has referred to it as a no-go area for doping now, because the anti-doping authorities know about it and it is monitored closely.

It's the funny thing about these boards. The affadavits reveal that Ferrari was advising USP riders in the early noughties about using altitude to reduce detection of EPO. And this is being jumped upon as another strong 'dot' to connect in the theory that Sky must be doping on Tenerife 10 years later.

But, as you point out, they also reveal that in 2010 Ferrari was advising his own client not to travel to Tiede because it's a no-go area, and also he was telling people not to use EPO in 2010. Which doesn't seem to have gained much traction in any of these Sky threads.

Which is strange.

JimmyFingers said:

Yes let's quote Dr. Ferrari on anti-doping shall we! He also said he's never administered doping products.

Now what exactly is "monitored closely" ? Did they catch anyone? :rolleyes:

RownhamHill said:
It's the funny thing about these boards. The affadavits reveal that Ferrari was advising USP riders in the early noughties about using altitude to reduce detection of EPO. And this is being jumped upon as another strong 'dot' to connect in the theory that Sky must be doping on Tenerife 10 years later.

But, as you point out, they also reveal that in 2010 Ferrari was advising his own client not to travel to Tiede because it's a no-go area, and also he was telling people not to use EPO in 2010. Which doesn't seem to have gained much traction in any of these Sky threads.

Which is strange.

Sad day that Sky Fanboys are using quotes from Ferrari to prove that Sky are clean! Oh the irony! :rolleyes:

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Yes let's quote Dr. Ferrari on anti-doping shall we! He also said he's never administered doping products.

Now what exactly is "monitored closely" ? Did they catch anyone? :rolleyes:

He said it behind closed doors, not knowing his dope mobile was under surveillance, when discussing doping with Bertagnolli.