• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

barmaher said:
I agree with all of that, staubstauger. I think there would have been a happier medium with Lopez doing a couple of turns in the front, so long as Carapaz reciprocated.
It's a tricky one. Between Finestre and Sestriere he definitely did what he had to do, he was getting gapped on Sestriere as well.

I do think I agree that a few soft pulls were probably for the best at least between Sestriere and Jafferau, if Carapaz was willing to go for it as well. But I think that was also a DS issue. Carapaz and Lopez are both really young and have really strong directors. If they were telling them to sit, both of those guys were going to sit. So a little behind the scenes negotiating was what Sunweb would've needed to do. And I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Again, given the result, it was absolutely the right tactical play. Pinot ended up cracking anyway, and Dumoulin and Froome were too strong. In hindsight, not working was completely the right move.

And as for the peloton capital earned by helping out Dumoulin: ask Reichenbach what that's really worth. Yes, too bad for Tom that having Lopez there meant that Carapaz was not going to work and Pinot wasn't going to fully committ. But that's how it plays out some times. And that's a good thing.

I think it's a lot worse when guys start working for no reason. I can think of another Colombian saving a Giro for a popular former Champion on Finestre. As much as I enjoyed seeing Il Falco race, that I could've really done without.

The last climb of the next three stages will have at least a sector of several kilometers with an average gradient above 10%. The last three kilometers of La Camperona have a 13.2% gradient, Los Praeres have four kilometers with 12.5% and Lagos de Covadonga a sector of three kilometers with 10.9%.
The results obtained by Miguel Angél López in similar finals in last year Vuelta a España contrast with the performances obtained in climbs with gradients between 6 and 8%.

St.5 Ermita St. Lúcia, 3.7km with 8.8%. The last 2km have a 10.4% gradient
Classification: 42º +5:26 / +55s (14.86s/km) for the 1st GC contender.

St.8 Alto Xorret de Catí, 3.4km with 12.4%. The finish-line was placed 4km ahead.
Classification: 31º +1:55 / +28s (8.24s/km) for the 1st GC contender.

St.17 Los Machucos: 7.2km with 8.7%. The first 6.5km at 10.4%.
Classification: 3º +1:04 / +36s (5s/km) for the 1st GC contender.

St.20 Alto de l’Angliru: 12.5km with 9.8%.
Classification: 16º +3:56 / +3:39 (17.52s/km) for the 1st GC contender.

Congratulations on his second podium of the year. :)

About my comments for him at La Vuelta I have to say that probably he should have been second and closer to Yates on GC. Sometimes I felt that he didn't leave everything on the table. Maybe he was too cautious. Maybe it was also tactical errors like not working with other riders but it looked like he had more strength left at end of stages.

The first mountain stage he attacked too late costing him seconds. Last Saturday he didn't cooperate with Quintana and what it was worse he sprinted too late as well. Yesterday he attacked at the end again too late looking like he had some strength left. And finally today he realized that he had come to the end of the road for opportunities and gave it all. And that's why he is third.

I think that he made an awful lot of serious attacks in this race for a guy who got a lot of criticism for passivity. He wasn’t passive. Where the criticism was more justified though was where it focused on his decisions about when to work with others. I still have no idea why he made some of those decisions.

Still, for a guy who can’t TT, two GC podiums in two attempts is pretty damn impressive.

I think what leaves some people (including me) a bit cold about him is not the lack of attacks. It's the feeling his attacks are often half hearted, he looks back a lot and doesn't commit.
Yesterday he finally challenged his inner self and went all out. That was brave, at last, and worth a podium spot.

Re:

SafeBet said:
I think what leaves some people (including me) a bit cold about him is not the lack of attacks. It's the feeling his attacks are often half hearted, he looks back a lot and doesn't commit.
Yesterday he finally challenged his inner self and went all out. That was brave, at last, and worth a podium spot.

Exactly, the reason I like Yates so much is that when he attacks, he commits to it.
I honestly don't think there was much difference in strength over the three weeks between Yates and MAL. Even if MAL had played it perfectly tactically, he would probs still have lost due to their TTs but it could have been close.

But very well ridden yesterday

Nobody is questioning Lopez aggresiveness.

More the fact he almost never cooperates. Saturday was the first time in a long time he collaborated or worked with somebody. Often he either attacks and goes alone (fair), but most of the time when somebody catches up to him he stops immediately or only rides the wheel. That's the criticism. And he did that too often again this race. He committed in the end, which got him the podium. But if he continues to race like he did in the rest of this Vuelta he will have a hard time ever winning GT's. You need some sort of collaboration sometimes...

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
I liked his ride yesterday. He looks kinda like an angry pitbull. However, he needs to improve his time trialing, otherwise he'll never win a Grand Tour.
I think Lopez has more room for improvement in maximizing the gains of his good days in the mountains than improving his ITT. Obviously he should try to do both, but he'll always have to win GTs in the mountains, and for that he needs to strike when he's good.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Hugo Koblet said:
I liked his ride yesterday. He looks kinda like an angry pitbull. However, he needs to improve his time trialing, otherwise he'll never win a Grand Tour.
I think Lopez has more room for improvement in maximizing the gains of his good days in the mountains than improving his ITT. Obviously he should try to do both, but he'll always have to win GTs in the mountains, and for that he needs to strike when he's good.
Apart from gaining on mountain finishes when he can, he can also improve on losing time on short hilly finishes. If he can prevent that he's suddenly +1/2 minutes closer in GC...

Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Red Rick said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Apart from gaining on mountain finishes when he can, he can also improve on losing time on short hilly finishes. If he can prevent that he's suddenly +1/2 minutes closer in GC...
Indeed, for some strange reason he has history of losing lots and lots of times on such finishes despite him being relatively explosive for a climber. Its weird.

If you can climb, you can also TT fairly well in this Giro and with the GTs emphasizing climbing over time trialing, just go all in on climbing really.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts