• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most memorable doped perfomances?

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On top of my head, I so far pretty much had:

Armstrong in Sestriere 1999 (first Tour I watched)
Landis Morzine 2006
Contador Verbier 2009
Froome Ventoux 2013

Will have to add today.

Why only TdF moments? Well, thats the race where its just most memorable for me personally.

On top of my head, I so far pretty much had:

Armstrong in Sestriere 1999 (first Tour I watched)
Landis Morzine 2006
Contador Verbier 2009
Froome Ventoux 2013

Will have to add today.

Why only TdF moments? Well, thats the race where its just most memorable for me personally.

The TdF is the biggest prize on the calendar, so that's where the biggest pros at the dark arts stuff come out of the woodwork & do what they've got do to win at all costs.

The problem with all of those previous examples you mention is the rivals on those specific days could be handwaved away as not very good for whatever reason (Oscar Pereiro with Landis 2006, Alex Zülle with Lance 1999, Lance & Schleck with Condator 2009 & Contador with Froome on Ventoux 2013).

But one of the most talked about "memorable" performances ever was of course Pog at LPDBF in 2020. A performance Pog just repeated in the Tour today on stage 16... but he still got smashed by Vingegaard. So today was like LPDBF + 1. Like an upgrade on the already unfathomable. So... I'm really at a loss when it comes to naming anything remotely similar to what we just witnessed. It's the most "memorable" one yet, IMO.

And I don't know why Jumbo did it, i.e. 30 seconds + another demolition on Loze tomorrow would have sufficed.

And I don't know why Jumbo did it, i.e. 30 seconds + another demolition on Loze tomorrow would have sufficed.
Last year Vingegaard almost crashed in the final ITT of a Tour he had pretty much already won because he decided to take insane risks going downhill, presumably just in case Pogačar could threaten Van Aert's stage win. A completely unnecessary risk that could have cost Jumbo everything

I just think they're not very smart

Think this one beats Landis for me. Not that it wasn't incredible of course but there were at least some group dynamics that contributed to that one. Here Vingegaard just crushed everyone head to head with no race situations that can explain the absurdity of the gaps.

it feels Landis like to me, in terms of how it felt to me watching it back then as a completely absurd performance, but with Landis you kind of knew straight away he was using something illicit that had made it like that, no one was trying to pretend it was just a special ride by an exceptional athlete or because he'd just trained extra harder for it.

here I dont know how to explain it, or why if you are capable of that level of performance you wait 2 weeks to show it, and now its not about bonus seconds or anything its how many minutes can he put in before Paris right ?

Reactions: Tim Cahill
it feels Landis like to me, in terms of how it felt to me watching it back then as a completely absurd performance, but with Landis you kind of knew straight away he was using something illicit that had made it like that, no one was trying to pretend it was just a special ride by an exceptional athlete or because he'd just trained extra harder for it.

here I dont know how to explain it, or why if you are capable of that level of performance you wait 2 weeks to show it, and now its not about bonus seconds or anything its how many minutes can he put in before Paris right ?

Likely yes, unless clinically speaking the re-fuelling strategies were different between the teams and Pogacar was saving his for tonight and Loze rather than on the rest day. See: Bjerg/Mcnulty absolutely flying out of the blue on the Peyragudes stage last year, also interesting was Pog rising from the dead on the Tourmalet this year a day after getting dropped.