• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Motor doping thread

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Maxiton said:
Rollthedice said:
Thing with mechanical doping is that if not caught on the spot you will NEVER be caught.

Chris Vrrrooome:

"I know my results will stand the test of time, that 10, 15 years down the line people won't say, 'Ah, so that was his secret'. There isn't a secret."

"But I feel there is now a need for winners of the Tour de France to go 10, 20 years and not be stripped of their yellow jerseys and their trophies, and that's where myself and Team Sky are at now."

Some enterprising journalist or fan or non-fan is going to show up roadside with a thermal imaging gun/camera. Then the joke is over.
If we start a crowd-funding campaign maybe a clinic member can do it :)

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Thing with mechanical doping is that if not caught on the spot you will NEVER be caught.

Chris Vrrrooome:

"I know my results will stand the test of time, that 10, 15 years down the line people won't say, 'Ah, so that was his secret'. There isn't a secret."

"But I feel there is now a need for winners of the Tour de France to go 10, 20 years and not be stripped of their yellow jerseys and their trophies, and that's where myself and Team Sky are at now."

Had the same thought. I don't think there could be anyway now, bar a time machine, to catch a motor doper. Unless there's some form of X-ray technology to use on older film footage, which would be highly doubtful.

Ventoux 2013 is probably the most suspicious motor doping we've seen, not sure that can be surpassed, even by Froome.

21j7h4k.jpg

Re:

Rollthedice said:

Chris Vrrrooome:

Unless people talk :)
But yes, I view that victory speech in an entirely different light now as well.

LaFlorecita said:
Maxiton said:
Some enterprising journalist or fan or non-fan is going to show up roadside with a thermal imaging gun/camera. Then the joke is over.
Imagine the Kickstarter pledge rewards:

$50: We'll scan ONE rider you hate, unless they've been vetoed.
$500: Veto the scanning of ONE rider you love.

hrotha said:
LaFlorecita said:
Maxiton said:
Imagine the Kickstarter pledge rewards:

$50: We'll scan ONE rider you hate, unless they've been vetoed.
$500: Veto the scanning of ONE rider you love.
$100 Thermo scan image of a rider of your choice printed on 50x50cm canvas :)

May 22, 2011
Visit site

"But I feel there is now a need for winners of the Tour de France to go 10, 20 years and not be stripped of their yellow jerseys and their trophies, and that's where myself and Team Sky are at now."[/quote]

Some enterprising or fan or non-fan is going to show up roadside with a thermal imaging gun/camera. Then the joke is over.[/quote]
If we start a crowd-funding campaign maybe a clinic member can do it :)[/quote]

As I said in a previous post it is possible that a cyclingnews reader may own one of these amped up bikes. It would be fun to try a controlled experiment, get another fan with a thermal imager and try to reproduce the images from the Strade Bianche. I just LOVE citizen science!!!! There have to be some photography experts and engineers in our midst.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
The scanning has to be done at keys points in the race, as I very much doubt that the motors will generate noticeable heat from resistance when turned off. Of course, this might inspire riders to use the motor on parts that usually don't matter, to save the legs, so our anti-motor tactic will only decrease, but not eliminate, the effects of mechanical fraud, just as testing did with the effects of some pharmaceutical doping products.

Now, if we really want an army of clinicians reviewing the races, we could compare the heat imaging of non-motorized and motorized frames using relatively cheap thermal cameras. You can buy a relatively cheap, but pretty decent thermal imaging cameras for android (mini-usb connector) or iOS phones (lightning connector) for about €250.

That way, our crowdfunding could fund multiple cameras at multiple key points on a climb.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Re:

WillemS said:
The scanning has to be done at keys points in the race, as I very much doubt that the motors will generate noticeable heat from resistance when turned off. Of course, this might inspire riders to use the motor on parts that usually don't matter, to save the legs, so our anti-motor tactic will only decrease, but not eliminate, the effects of mechanical fraud, just as testing did with the effects of some pharmaceutical doping products.

Now, if we really want an army of clinicians reviewing the races, we could compare the heat imaging of non-motorized and motorized frames using relatively cheap thermal cameras. You can buy a relatively cheap, but pretty decent thermal imaging cameras for android (mini-usb connector) or iOS phones (lightning connector) for about €250.

That way, our crowdfunding could fund multiple cameras at multiple key points on a climb.

In one of the twitter links someone posted there is a news report that the motorised set-ups now being used cost from 50,000 to 200,000 Euros and utilize motors used in satellites to deploy the solar panels! I think this information came from the Hungarian who's been pedaling this story

Benotti69 said:
Hawkwood said:
Benotti69 said:
TeamGB and their special frames and special wheels all now points to mechanical doping.

Do you mean the `special wheels' by Mavic that the Australian track team was also using?

Keep believing.
Perhaps you think that when the Brits lose to the Aussies, Americans, Germans or whoever they are just soft-pedalling for appearances' sake. How do they decide who will lose on purpose, do you think? Draw straws? There's nothing like a good conspiracy theory, preferably the least credible one.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
Hawkwood said:
Benotti69 said:
TeamGB and their special frames and special wheels all now points to mechanical doping.

Do you mean the `special wheels' by Mavic that the Australian track team was also using?

Keep believing.

The `special wheels' theory came up a while ago, and I spent some time trying to find out were it originated. I finally discovered a reference to someone who said the GB track team wasn't using Mavic wheels because they had funny holes/slots in the axles. On further searching I found an interview with a member of the Australian track team, he was asked why their wheels had holes/slots in them and he replied that it was a new idea from Mavic, and had something to do with airflow. So the only hard evidence I could find for there being `special wheels' was a remark that the axles were different. But if anyone knows anything more let's hear about it.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site

wrinklyvet said:
Benotti69 said:
Hawkwood said:
Benotti69 said:

Keep believing.
Perhaps you think that when the Brits lose to the Aussies, Americans, Germans or whoever they are just soft-pedalling for appearances' sake. How do they decide who will lose on purpose, do you think? Draw straws? There's nothing like a good conspiracy theory, preferably the least credible one.

It was Cookson on the grassy knoll.

Re:

WillemS said:

The commissaires can simply ride along a motorcycle, on the back as they do, and during the race, climbs etc..they can just roll down the side of the peloton with the thermal scanner looking for suspicious bikes.

Just like testing of EPO/blood dopers, once guys start to see this, it might not make them all stay away from mechanical doping, but you can imagine, if there were any bikes, they would vanish and never be ridden again.

What is worse than having a live thermal image of your bike during a race being broadcast to hundreds of thousands of viewers during big races? Ouch, if you get caught..how embarrassing, and of course, lifetime ban.

That would be the ultimate..."red" handed, pun intended for the thermal device scanner.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

wrinklyvet said:
Benotti69 said:
Hawkwood said:
Benotti69 said:

Keep believing.

It always amazes me how people wont see the truth.

Cheating is an integral part of the sports culture. Just look at the sport and who is running it. All linked to cheating.

Expecting people to against that culture and win is ridiculous.

In case people have forgotten, they found a motor in a bike. As good as finding a rider injecting epo. Riders agents are talking about it now.

But hey, nope no evidence for 'real' fans. Sorry but sport has lots all its credibility and it will take a huge fire to cleanse it!

Hawkwood said:
wrinklyvet said:
Benotti69 said:
Hawkwood said:
Benotti69 said:

Keep believing.

With his thermal imaging gun or just his manifesto about being more transparent? :rolleyes:

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Hawkwood said:
wrinklyvet said:
Benotti69 said:
Hawkwood said:
Benotti69 said:

Keep believing.

Cookson was planting his daffodils ;)

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site

[/quote]It was Cookson on the grassy knoll.[/quote]

With his `special thermal imaging gun' or just his manifesto about being more transparent? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Just corrected it for you.